• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 03, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kendall I: From the GSS-1291 Original Chassis Service Manual: Quote:

Rear Axles:
Reassembly:

1) If the axle bushings were removed, install new bushings.

<u>Note:</u> Be certain that the hole in the bushing lines up with the grease hole in the axle carriers.
UnQuote.

Myron B

Erik
Since the only lubrication that bushing gets is thru the grease fitting (the grease seal is in the carrier and not the axle like the later models), I believe that "indented line" is a grease excape, and should go to the outside or axle flange side, otherwise you couldn't see "the old grease come out" around the end of the axle to know when it had enough, and could pump grease to the inside the axle tube everytime you greased it. If I remember correctly, the hole for the grease fitting is not centered in the bushing, and the bushing fits flush with the end of the axle tube, so you can measure the distance from the end of the axle tube to the center of the grease fitting hole and that should help determine which way it goes. If you didn't, I would replace the oil seals while you have the axles off.

I hqave success!!! My 122 is running. Thanks to all for the suggestions on the broken bolt/ez out issue. I ended up using the diamond dremel bit, with a tungsten carbide dremel bit, and had to re-drill and tap the hole, but I got it done!!!. Now, on to getting the governor to carb linkage installed and adjusted, getting the carb adjusted... (Can't forget to re-tourqe the head bolts!!!!)

Need to get pics to post!!!!

Thanks again for all the help, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!!!

Randy

Scott T.,
Thanks for the heim joint boot information!
I'll look into both sources....
thumbsup.gif

RWilke
beerchug.gif

Kendall, I do not know about the O, but my 100 does not have fittings, so it would have to get lubrication from the differential. It looks like that is how those bushings are designed too.

Kevin/Kendell-

The O has grease fittings and that is the only lube the bushings get; the bearing retainers on those have an O-ring that keeps the Hytran in the differential case only. The axles are dry. Everything after the O has bearings (or bushings on the 7 hp tractors) lubed by hytran from the transaxle case.

Paul: Which (without seeing a bushing personally) was why I pointed out the need to line up the zerk hole with the bushing hole..I figuired that the hole was off center and would provide a clue as to which way the bushing went.
Myron: ....I guess I forgot to include the manual number in the clip I posted last night - that was from the "O" chassis manual...
Matt: It's been YEARS since I changed seals on the 129 (and washed the brake pads off)..
clappy.gif

Anybody ever grind an internal grease groove in the king pin bushings?? I found it helped greatly with the distribution of grease around the bushing.

Happy Independence Day to everyone!
Look what I found on Craigslist this morning.
154032.jpg

154033.jpg

It's got a couple of small rust through spots to patch but should clean up ok.

Hello everyone; I hope all have a safe and wonderful Independence Day. I have a question (or two). One of my 128s has a clutch brake and shoe on the PTO. Can I change this to the button and pressure release button? Is the clutch brake and shoe superior to the button system? I've been reading around and can't find an answer anywhere.

Update on replacing the front seal on the hydro on my 149. It's back together and full of hy-tran, but I have no movement whatsoever. The hyd lift doesn't work, there's no forward or reverse.When I move the lever to either position, I hear a buzzing noise. I changed the front gasket and the gasket on the transmission case. I noticed when I put the tran back together, the splined shaft wouldn't spin. I didn't notice before I took it apart if it spun freely or not. The shaft w/ the rag joint moves freely. Also, I disconnected the hoses to the lift cylinder and no fluid came out. Leads me to think the hydro isn't pumping. I had no extra parts and everything went back together fine. What did I do wrong? What did I overlook? Did I damage my hydro by taking it apart to replace the housing gasket? Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks,
Ian

WAYNE S. - In My humble opinion, I'e always liked the design theory Huskvarna motorcycles used 30-40 yrs ago to build their motorcross bikes, "Keep it simple and MAKE IT LIGHT" Light is good in an MX bike, not so good in tractors. I like the simplicity of the non-brake PTO clutch, but safety laws required the newer braked PTO. A quick look at the exploded parts diagrams should show what's different between the two clutches.

Thanks Dennis, So safety is the reason for this monstrosity. The 128 my father bought in '72 (which is still out there with the others) had the button system so that's all I know. The exploded views I've seen show no difference except the pressure release buttons and the levers. I can just assume the clutch disc is mounted to the front of the PTO. I've never seen a good one installed. The one I have was toast when it arrived with no disc on the PTO at all. Thanks again.

Ian C....been some mentions lately that its real easy to put the front assembly on upside down...ie: pull the bolts and rotate assy 180*.
You'll get more info as people finish their picnics.

Thanks Alan
I got it going. I had to take it all apart(again). Don't know what I did wrong the first time. As soon as I had the case apart, the splined shaft was free. Bolted it back together, installed it, and drove it out of my shop. Hopefully after all this, it won't leak. I've got a shiny piece of cardboard under right now. I guess only time will tell.
Now to clean up the 2 gallons of hy-tran that was spilled on my shop floor(any recommendations?).
Thanks again, Ian

Ian I use kitty litter to soak up oil spills. On the axel bushing subject does anyone know when they changed from bushings to bearings on the axel carrier? I just put new seals in my 124 and it has bushings. The parts lookup calls for bearings.

Here's a tip for soaking up oil, hy-tran,etc---wool.
A friend sent me an old steering box for one of my Scouts and packed the box w/ wool from his sheep. Wool will soak up a ton of liquid and can be rung out and used again. I soaked up all the liquid this way, now I need to cut the residue so it's not so slicky in there. HTH, Ian

Just got the 100 back together, from the rebuild, it will start but won't take andy gas it just cuts off, I have a new carb, points set to 20 and new spark plug, could the timimg be off inside the motor any ideas?

Latest posts

Back