• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 01, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK all, QuietLine Question.....

Over the weekend, Dad and I did some PM/upgrades to my 1650. We pulled the engine to do the cradle mod, and the bolt mod for the front axle. I also wanted to adjust the PTO. Over the winter while the snow thrower was mounted, the thrower would "freewheel" when the PTO was turned off. Once we got the engine out and started the adjustment procedure, we found there were parts missing. (This tractor was purchased late spring last year, I gave it a good once-over, changed the oil and put it to work.) The brake plate, springs and adjusting nuts were gone. We just had the PTO and coil on the tractor. We have another 1650 engine, so we pulled the brake plate, springs and nuts off it and they would not go on. After further digging, we found the field coil was incorrect, as it was too thick, pushing everything away from the block, which is more than likely why the stuff was missing in the first place. We pulled the entire PTO off other engine and installed it on mine. Followed the procedure and gapped the brake plate. It functioned without a load (I left the deck and undercarriage at home) so we buttoned the tractor up and I brought it back home.

Last night, the rain finally held off long enough to be able to mow. So I mounted the deck, and went out to mow. I got 2 or 3 passes around the yard, so 10-15 minutes of run time, and was mowing around the barn and I smelled something and the deck stopped. Since I was trimming I was watching the end of the deck, so I looked down the hood and saw blue smoke coming out of the grill/front hood area. Reach down and hit the key to kill it. First thought was oh well, burned a belt, as the grass is fairly tall from Monsoon Season we seem to be having. Hopped off the tractor, grabbed the belt, and it was still tight..... oh no....... made sure everything was turned off and started the tractor, fired right up, flipped the PTO switch and...... nothing..... Drove back around to the garage, dropped the tiller off the 1450 and swapped the deck from the 1650 over to the 1450 and finished mowing.

It did blow the fuse, so something happened to make it over-current the circuit. We are going to pull it apart and inspect it, and we have another spare PTO if needed, so I will be back in business. The question is, in the Blue Ribbon Service Manual on page 2-81C and 2-81D it shows the proper gapping of the different pieces. In the illustrations, is shows the driving hub being installed on the crank, and gapping the field coil to the driving hub. Then it shows to install the driven hub and gap between the driven and driving hub. Lastly is shows to install the brake plate and gap the driven and driving hub with the brake plate installed for proper braking. Do these clutches actually come apart into 2 or 3 pieces? On ours, which is painted black, it is not silver, has just the field coil, and then everything else seems to be a "unit". Is this in the book for just illustration, or is there a trick to get the driven and driving hubs apart? I understand this PTO is going on 40 years old, so it may be "stuck" together, but we didn't seen any logical place where it would come apart. When we put it back together again, we want to make sure we are 100% spot on.......

Jeremiah
Thanks for the comment on my 129 cylinder. The head gasket was leaking around the intake valve and being the exhaust valve area is slightly hotter the build up was bigger. I like to understand why, so thanks. I am having the walls cleaned up and he said that the walls are fine. The scratches are not too deep and it spec out OK. Now I have to wait for the rings and reassemble and try again.
Wish me luck
Ear

ok, here we go....the last post of the 42" rebuild and maybe a video of it cutting if i can figure that one out. the pics are in this order...thanx for all the comments, support, info and to ccs for the parts i needed...
1) what i started with and what i have now...
297842.jpg

297843.jpg

2) the left runner was pretty well toasted when i got the deck but a little heat and a vice and a pipe wrench fixed that. and i have the flat runners off the old 38 if i need them.
297844.jpg

297845.jpg

3) maybe the 109 is next...
297846.jpg

297847.jpg

297848.jpg

Nice job Mike, when do you want to start on my deck,lol

thanx jeff, have you followed my whole ordeal and seen some of the issues i had to solve? hopefully it's all good now...i'll get that left runner on as soon as the paint dries...

Mike C.
WTH! Why are you running that sucker to death in that wet tall grass???
Slow up man! Give the thing a little breathing room!
Raise the deck up some and make two passes.

i ended up making two passes charlie...i just wanted to hit it hard for a bit and shake any issues out and see what happens... she did a fair job overall tho...

I received my parts order from CCS and, all is well. I found 2 red spouts included in the shipment. Are they clip on oil bottle funnels?

Chris - I hope so, that's what I'm using them for! Charlie threw some in with my last seat and it was the next day before it came to me what they can be used for.
happy.gif

End of page.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back