• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 28, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harry
roflol.gif

Donald ... Denny is on coffee break...& it's quite foggy here with today's temps up into 50's.
Shift.gif
Thanks Bill, it's been 30+ years since I traded my 128 for a new 1450 w/ dual hyd.

Art - I gots to know. Did you blast off that original IH 935 white? Or did you have a heart and just touch it up a little?

Dennis - say back in the day why did they use calcium chloride even tho it was known to be so corrosive?

Matt - did you just figure that out? I will say you usually have to take me about half (unless it's an extremely long posting then 3/4).

Jeff - I probably posted that on the wrong thread but it's still there. Charlies still busy either blowing snow, unloading semis, or he froze. Today is probably his best day of the week with a high of 25. Tomorrow his high shows as -07 and low -27. I always thought them single digits was tough but double digits with the - sign means it's time to move. Otherwise, probably takes the whole month of May to thaw out of that stuff.

Home of the Plow Special

Thanks guys; I did rob a screw for the point cover off my 14 k engine . I did get the allen-head bolts to replace the slotted screws and I got 12 with washers for later usage . 10/24 by 3/4" is what I bought .I need to top up the hytra and test the hydro for neutral before I take the 125 off the wheel stands . Paint some more tin and install the mower deck. It did make me smile to hear the 125 running yesterday .
1AA_dance2.gif

Harry-
The (rusty) outside of the rims and the inner "bead" area got sandblasted so they were nice and fresh. The ink-stamped part number and "FIRESTONE" stamping on the inside were covered with masking tape before the primer and paint coats went on.

Oh, and I made sure to get the many of the original runs and sags in the new paint as well. You know... In the interest of "restoration".
err.gif

ART - I remember you posting the pic's of those 'Stones but wasn't sure which tractor they ended up on. You REALLY need another set on one of your tractors though! Maybe a pair of 26-12.00X12's? I have two of the three possible sizes, 23-8.50's on the 72 & 26-12.00's on the 982. I still need a pair of 23-10.50's but don;t have a tractor for them now. I'd like to find a pair of 23-8.50's for the 70 but they're REALLY hard to find but maybe a pair will turn up some day.

PAUL - Yes, coffee's all gone now. Fun weather we're having isn't it? A record 57 degrees predicted today, old record was 53 in 1914. 20 tomorrow, and NINE on Thursday with 2 to 5 inches of snow tomorrow night. Yeah! But we need more snow, all that's left around here are the deeper drifts now about 3-4 inches deep.

HARRY - CaCl was popular because it was so heavy, and kept the water from freezing. As long as it never gets onto the steel rims all is good. But just like antifreeze, it's tough to get off once it's there. Tire data books I have show 3-1/2 and 5 pounds of powder or flaked CaCl per gallon of water depending on weight required or coldest anticipated temps, Valve stem and 90% tire fill for weights.

I'm not positive, but I "Think" the 450 FARMALL Dad had between 1964 & '68 had fluid in the new 15.5X38 GY Super-Torque tires it had when he got it. They could hold up to 66 gal of straight water or 53 gal plus 265# of CaCl for 707# of weight per tire. It pulled pretty good with no wheel weights, the tires may not have been full of fluid but it had to have had some. Those Super-Torque tires were an OEM-Plus grade of tire, deeper, longer, heavier lugs than OEM grade set at a 45 degree angle, and they "Zig-Zagged" for reinforcement. The OEM grade GY was the Power-Torque, had a 25-30 degree lug that was thinner and a little lower but still zig-zagged. Dad put a set of those on the 4010 without fluid that came off the neighbor's brand new 4020 when he put new Firestone Deep Treads on his new tractor. Those were OEM-Plus grade too. Neighbor never ran duals on his tractors back then but Dad always did. The extra set of tires really helped with traction when doing fieldwork, also made the ride much smoother at high speeds. That was a real bonus when disking spring plowed ground.

Just like CC's, even large tractors struggle for traction with the land tire when plowing. We almost always ran a dual on the land wheel when plowing. If not so much for the extra traction from the tire, the extra weight from the hub, wheel & tire, and the smoother ride.

Denny,

Remember mixing the calcium with water to fill tires? Fill open top 55 gal. barrels with enough water to allow room for the calcium chloride to be stirred in yet. Man, did that create lots of heat
flame.gif
! We used an old oar to mix the solution. My old boss always went "heavy" on the calcium mix.

That job was hard to do with gloves on, so the solution would be rough on the hands! If I recall the solution weighed about 11# per gallon. The 3rd reason it was used was cost, it was cheap,didn't freeze and added lots of weight

Art - geez, I don't even see any rust around the bead area. Looks to me like its rubber remanents over the original paint. Thanks for saving the black numbering and some original paint. Some day someone will need that info.

Dennis - thanks for the info on the CaC1. Say if you look back at the 1st wheel pic Art posted (shows the black numbering), you can see EWC 7-74, but you also see 12x8 1/2 JA but it's upside down. Why would that happen? (And if you know, what does that JA mean?) (Oh, and another thing, why would your Dad have a 4010? Isn't a 4010 and 4020 an off brand?).

Jim - geez, where do people put it today? And I wonder where it all went before?

HI Jim! I never got in on the fun of mixing CaCl, just the time changing the one set of tires with it. Using a drill powered impeller pump to pump it out into a 55 gal drum. That took the longest time. Had to let it "burp" air back into the tire every five-ten minutes or so. Then to put it back in we set the drum in the loader bucket and raised it up about 6-7 ft and let gravity work for us. That went quicker than pumping it out. The cheap plastic pump was junk when we were done, but the whole deal was much cheaper than having the tire truck come out to the farm.

Last summer I tried everything to get those old tires bumped off the rim so I didn't have to pay out any cash but those 40 yr old tires were rusted to the rims better than I thought. The loader arms on the M were just the right width to push down on the tire sidewalls right next to the rim bead but they wouldn't pop off. If I had tried much harder I'd have possibly pushed a hole right thru the sidewall of the tire. Dad got a deal on the tires back when we mounted them, local IH dealer had them sitting up in their parts warehouse, $50 for the pair. They have 23 deg. lugs like a Firestone but they're DAYTON's, made by Firestone, tread and sidewalls are slightly different, and if I'd ruined one of them, NO way would I ever find a matching tire. So I ended up hauling the tire/rim to the local ag tire shop over by Paul R's place and they got them right off with their tire machine. I had them mount the tires with the new tubes too. Their machine had four spikes that held the rim and spun it and they rolled the tire right on. Worst part of the deal was loading the one tire/rim that was full of fluid, was close to 600#, tire/rim/fluid combined.

The 450 that had fluid had it installed when it was delivered. None of the water stems leaked on it yet, heck, the tires & tubes were brand new and even the tractor was relatively new still, only seven yrs old when Dad got it. And the 4010 stayed dry, no fluid, but the tire truck mounted them anyway.

Buddy had new Firestone 18.4X30's mounted about 2-3 yrs ago on a tractor he's going to restore. One tire had some fluid, the other was full. Tires/tubes were just under $2000, and the tire truck and the 30 gallons of CaCl he had put in the one partially full tire cost him an extra $200 so you're exactly right, CaCl fluid is cheap. Only took the guy a little over an hour to pump out both tires, demount and remount the new tires/tubes and refill them with fluid. When you have a dedicated ag tire service truck with all the right tools things go a lot faster. Plus the tractor & tires were only about 30 yrs old, the tires hadn't rusted tight to the rims.

Back