• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 25, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mwheeler

This one is mine for right now, sellin'er though because she's too long to be kept here at NCSU, too many people running around carelessly here in their little Hondas and Toyotas. Pulls what I do have good though (no Cubs here yet, my eyes are open though).

It's a 1995 F-250 XLT 4x4 SC LB, she aint a PSD though, its got the good ol' 460 gasser in it.

25299.jpg

Anyone tried this idea?
28719.jpg

I bought this never used trailer hitch outfit real cheap at an auction. It was made for an old classic car, but the guy never installed it.
28720.jpg

So I cut it up!
happy.gif
Now I'll bolt it to the rear of my Featherlite trailer using the holes for the rear tie down points. Going to try pulling 2 flat trailers at once with my GMC! Won't have to drive 2 trucks to haul two trailers full of tractors to shows! What do you think?
happy.gif

I'd make sure you were bolting into FRAME crossmembers/rails and would consider strengthening the AL trailer near the attachment points.

AL trailers are not very forgiving when "extra" stress is applied...not like steel.

....Also, check to make sure you combination is LEGAL in all the states you intend to run it in. Double trailer laws are different state-to-state and can have little "tricks" written into them.

Booooooyyyyyyy, I don't think Barnie over at Mayberry won't like that setup!!!!!!! I'd check with the DOT before you head out with that.

What you are attempting to do is triple towing. Some states require the lead trailer is a fifth wheel. If the trailer weight is not balanced properly so there is 15% tongue weight on each trailer you'll probably kill yourself due to fish tailing. Good luck and my your guardian angle watch over you.
Here is a link to the towing laws. http://www.aemfg.com/Instructions/Towing-Laws.pdf

Thanks Terry! That really clears up why there is so much confusion on this idea! I've seen countless rigs going thru our town here in Iowa with similar setup that I'm proposing. I would not try it with most trailers, but my two trailers both tow great. Both have rubber torsion suspension and have good tonque wt. when properly loaded. I have 2 smaller enclosed trailers that I could pull behind my featherlite that would be nice to pull also. Built both with the torsion suspension and they tow great too. They have been coast to coast.

John L,
Might I suggest contacting Featherlite and asking them what they think if the frame will handle the stress?

John,

Just because they tow great as a single, doesn't mean they will tow great as a double.

I personally wouldn't consider it unless the first was a 5th wheel, and even then I'd be on the fence.

My grandparents lost a bumper hitch travel trailer (rolled the truck and trailer down the interstate at 55 mph) when a semi passed them in a strong cross wind and "took the air away" from one side of the trailer........I can't imaging how a "double jointed" trailer would tow in a strong cross wind....tail waggin' the dog for sure.

...buy a bigger trailer......

Don't think I'll be calling featherlight Charlie!
happy.gif
But, thanks for the imput guys!
---
My advice to others...
Don't even think of trying this idea guys! It's not legal in many states & you run the risk of running over the license load limit on your tow vehicle & also attracting the attention of the law enforcement officers!
happy.gif

---
Here's what the hitch looks like now. Test fit.
28797.jpg

If I tow a trailer with it, it will be at slow speeds. Might use it for a bike rack!
happy.gif

BTW, Those attachment points are rated at 6000lb. each.

(Message edited by jlang on June 23, 2005)

Yes, "Bike Rack"....now you're on the right track!!!!!!

BTW, just because the tie-down itself is rated to 6000# does not mean that what Featherlite bolted it to is.......

John- I personally wouldn't trust a featherlite trailer as far as I can see it in my mirriors IMHO. But then it is my IMHO if you have an ?'s on it call or e-mail me and i'll explain.

John, what you are proposing to do is legal in Iowa. I don't know the limits of weight,length and other details. Check with IDOT website. Lots of people headed North to Minn. to fish will pull their camper and boat to the state line, drop the boat, take the camper to the lake, and come back for the boat. I was at a family reunion last week and we rented some campers. The rental outfit brought the trailers in as doubles.

Well I picked up a new cub hauler. This thing is 8'8'' wide & 10' long & at present I don't have a truck that I can haul it with. I'm thinking maybe sell it to get a smaller one or perhaps just use it for the cub garage.
Go ahead Chalie paint it yeller & white
29082.jpg

Don - Aren't you 1" too wide for DOT standards??? if my memory serves me right max width can only be 103" wide and no more.

Hugh, if I read this right he is 104 wide and for the interstate highways here it is 102 wide only. I don't know about Canada's law, you may can be 104 wide there.
bouncy.gif

My wife and I just added another suburban to our vehicles. We found a '01 2500LT with a 6.0L that just came off lease. It has 59K.It has the trailer package but i don't think it ever towed anything. The paint is perfect inside the factory reciever. Leather interior,moon roof, power windows, rear AC and auto ride.

This one rides better than the '90 1/2 ton Suburban in the backround.
wave.gif
Jeff

29550.jpg

30282.jpg

Just drive it in the back and away we go. 1971 1210 camper special.

VERY NICE Ed!!! My uncle had one just like it when I was a kid! Er, does that make me an antique too?
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back