• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 20, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben - I think my problem is both my machines have sleeve hitches unless one of them has the tiller gearbox on so I might have to do some kind of removable frame mount instead of diff mount.

Kraig thanks for digging up those photos. A pretty stout setup no doubt. I just got to be careful with things getting to large as my trailer space is limited, and since I transport all my gear it also cuts into my wood hauling space which is precious. Something like a dedicated skidder I could probably leave there though hmm, which basically goes back to what I was originally thinking, building a log arch. But without any materials for such on hand it might be costly to fabricate from scratch (but the smaller atv ones are still a ton of money).

I'm still nervous about the hills though, and the fact that most my logs are a tad bigger, in the 14-20" range typically, and it wont do me as much good unless I can drag a bigger piece than what I can in the cart cut up (though still handy to drag em out to an easier cutting area).

opinion wanted. i have found 3 different leads on mower decks. i found one in the same shape as my deck, 100 bucks. im going to pass on that one. i have a lead on another deck for 125, apparently its not too rotted but isnt mint either. its missing all of the baffles, so it has to be fairly rusted.guy said on a 1-10 scale it was around a 6 in condition, so that to me says fair but not great.

another possibility is a NOS deck i found on one of the websites. the price is 550, which is a little steep i think. however, it is a brand new unmolested deck pan. how rare are these?

should i buy the NOS deck or is it completely overpriced? im looking for a good deck with little surface rust. am i going to find it. i want something that i only have to wire brush, paint and use. something that will last me 15-20 years.

im really starting to think i should have called off of work to bid on that deck that was on ebay a month ago, lol. it would have been worth missing work to be able to monitor that auction

I've been wondering whether the rear end in a 982 is the same size as a 782? Are the gears the same, case, etc.?

Heres a couple of log skidders I have seen around the net, they look workable.
219984.jpg

219985.jpg

219986.jpg

Andrew,
One of our sponsers LGCM has ad for company that builds decks to OEM specs...wwwgottmetel.com
ROD

do you mean LAGC magazine. i have the nov/dec copy in front of me. i already subscribed to magazine a while back. i just looked in the back of the magazine and saw an ad for "gottman metal works". i think i might give them a call tomorrow, it wouldnt hurt. hopefully they dont need the original deck to make a new one. i dont want to have 2 decks freighted across the country. hopefully a 48" cub cadet deck would be some sort of a standard mower deck order, they are a common design. i will have to see if they are cheaper than that NOS deck

Lonny... workable no doubt but if I had to pay that much I'd just buy the wood instead. I've never seen that green one but the Logrite goes for over $1500... just for the one attached to the atv. Think I'll pass.

NORM B. - re : 982 rearend vs 782 - Some of the stuff is, some isn't. I think most of the gears, major castings are the same, but some components in the 15U hydro are different, the aux hyd PSI is higher.

If you thinking of swapping a 982 rear into a 782, it should work.

Norm/Dennis-

The gear reduction is different; the hydro output shaft has a different number of teeth, as does the driven reduction gear in the case. The input shaft on the 982 hydro is also splined, the 782 one is not. If you put one in a 782, it would slow it down because of the different gear ratio.

Well the weather man missed it by just a little, LOL
Park Rapids, Minnesota
As of 3:53 AM on Friday 21 Jan 2011 (Local Time)

-40°F
Feels Like: -54°
Wind Chill: -54°

Ok Matt, here's one for you! I was told by a gentleman who is into pulling tractors that I could take a hydro rear end, flip it over, put it in a manual, and have three reverse gears with "MONSTER" torque. I dont plan on actually trying this, but is there any truth to it?

Charlie, yow! I hope you're keeping the wood furnace stoked up. I had around -26F a half hour ago, just before I left for work.

219988.jpg

Kraig- YUCK!! It was -19 with the wind chill this morning. I am ready for spring. I havent forgotten about those Cub Cadet pics, I just havent found them yet. Looks like a good day to work on my taxes...

explotar2jr.gif

Charlie,
What's a few degrees amoung weather men anyway?LOL. You take care in this. And that goes for any of you that's having it extremely cold. You all are better men than I. The older I get the worse the cold gets my hands and feet!
ROD

MATT - That makes sense.... my 982 manuals are confusing as HECK... The engine manual is for the 982, a skid steer loader, and something else. Each usage of the engine has different spec's, full load RPM's etc. I "THINK" the Onan in the 982 only runs 3200FL, 3400 NL RPM. which would require different gearing to keep the speed range the same. I "THINK" the 982's drive shaft is bigger in diameter as well as longer too.

Never noticed the splines on the input to the hydro, I know JD's are. My 982 had all new driveshaft & rag joints when I got it.... and with only 300 hrs on it's refurbish they're not getting replaced any time soon.

I should sit down & compare part by part and see what all is different between a 982 & other Hydro rearend.

SGT's are geared lower as Matt said, not because of engine RPM, but because of tire size (larger 26" rubber).

My 782 w/26" tires easily outruns my 2072 due to the lower gear ratio inthe 2072 rear.

Also, don't mix and match SGT and GT hydros and rear ends as the differen ratios create horrible gear mesh problems.

Denny, in your example with lower engine RPM the gearing would have to go the opposite direction and gear up to match, but it does not....it goes down.

STEVE - Just figured the differences between 3200 & 3600 RPM, 982/Onan @ 3200 is approx. 11.1% slower; 23" vs 26" tires, 26" tires increase speed right about 13% so it's real close to being a wash.

I do remember IH's spec sheets on the 982's showed 7-1/2 MPH fwd & 3-3/4 mph rev on 982's verses all other hydros on 23" tires being 8 & 4 mph. That must be the gearing difference. And I agree, just swapping parts with different pitch diameters can do TERRIBLE things.

I guess I should have clarified that bits & pieces of 982 hydros into 782 hydros won't work, but a WHOLE 982 rearend should bolt into a 782 correct? Driveshaft mods required however.

Home of the Plow Special (Aaytay)

Art , the temp here is 29 deg F . That would make it warm to what you guys are posting. We never see that cold weather over here .I`am happy with our temps and we are getting a little dusting of snow also. I might be able to blow some snow if this keeps up.
old.gif

Latest posts

Back