• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through January 20, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,
I also seen where you can buy the sleeve hitch Non-floating lift bars. Do they help in keeping down pressure on the implements?
Brad

Don & Brad,
Nope, not turned up at all.
I do have the little screws to do it though.
clappy.gif

It's stock, just like it came from the factory, only worn down just a little.

Charlie,
Maybe my 1450 just needs to workout more. I have heard pumping iron will make you stronger
lol.gif

Brad

Crooked PD furrows:

What usually happens at a PD is that the furrow starts off straight and then one of a couple things happen....

1) It gets wider at the start then narrows...this is because people who need to make adjustments start and then pull out to make adjustments and get passed...every time they leave the furrow in the middle it gets wider (not that this is bad, it's a necessary evil, it just happens)

2) In hard spots people drive closer to the plowed furrow to keep moving forward without spinning out (take less of a cut).

3) When people choke up or raise the plow out of the ground it changes the width of cut for them and the guy behind them. My plow cuts/plows completely differently if I plow behind someone leaving a narrow, shallow furrow, vs. a wider deep furrow.

You can always do a nicer job of plowing if you follow in your own furrow, or one very similar to your own. Many times you will see guys let people pass them on the headlands, waiting for a better furrow to follow, or group up with friends that have plows of similar width, condition, etc. Thsi is not to say people are doing a bad job of plowing at the PD's....there's just a huge difference between an 8" and a 12" and for that matter a polished up 10" and a rusty 8" or 12".

Jim D. on the JD forum summed it up the best after one of the PD's.......paraphrasing...."Everyone gets a chance to go out, make their mark, and enjoy themselves".....

There are always a handfull who close up the ugly gaps in the middle while the others have moved on to the next land...and to be honest, in the past 9 years of PD's I have seen the quality of plowing go WAY UP!!!!!! I even had a few local farmers comment on our field after the last Roanoke PD...to the tune of "if they were big antique tractors they wouldn't have done any better of a job, those little machines are pretty impressive"..... Now what more can we ask for?!?!?!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

184445.jpg

Tom,

I'm with you on the 582's...I'm not sure what it is about them, but I occasionally regret selling mine. Even with the Briggs mill, it was a sweet little tractor, and a real plowing machine (just needs hyd lift!!!)
happy.gif

Brad R.
Yes the sleeve hitch adapter lift arms are none slotted, and keep things down a lot better.
There also what's called a float lock out pin that can be installed for down pressure.

I took these yesterday after I got home from work. This morning things are real slick in the driveway. Cell phone pics as usual.

Closeup of ice on tree limb
184452.jpg

same area
184453.jpg

east of house looking north
184454.jpg

our driveway
184455.jpg

neighbor's yard
184456.jpg

I went out to start the Dakota and since the ice is so wet every step is hard to take. The surfaces are so uneven. Just thought I'd share.

Speaking of Plow Days... Over time I've noticed pictures of several guys either plowing without a rolling coulter, or with the coulter flipped up out of the ground. If there's no coulter on the plow, I just assume the guy hasn't found one. But why would a guy not use the coulter if he's got one on the plow, especially in heavy trash. I specifically recall one picture where the guy was stopped on the head land cleaning heavy bean or wheat stubble from the front of the share. His coulter was mounted above the beam. I assume there's a reason for it. All I know about moldboard plowing is how much damage 30 years of it did to my land. I'll never use one.

Jerry

184460.gif
..ur a hoot Charlie...
this was the finished product..this was a freind of mine that wanted a sweet corn patch..i said no problem..lol...plowed like butter, with the big smoker...!!!..i was there maybe a hour or so just having the bestest time!!..thanks for all the kind compliments.
184461.jpg

Jerry-

Most of us wind up not using the coulters because they clog with trash fairly easily and pull the plow out of the ground. It does a better job with the coulter, but sometimes there's too much trash in the field for them to work.

I am getting ready to replace the rear seal on my k321 to make it clear the seal on the pully side of the motor how big of a job is this I hope to be able to leave the motor in the tractor any hints or advice would be greatful. I have never taken one of these apart.

Thanks for any and all of your help.

Marlin, watch your step out in that stuff. I hope you don't loose too many branches or trees. I hate ice!

I that photo of the crooked furrow, you can see where the furrow, at least the section in the foreground, got messed up. Here's a larger version of it. I bet if I watched the video that I took I could tell who messed it up... I bet it was someone on a JD.
wedgie.gif

184463.jpg

Jeff B., yes I believe the axle pin can be driven out either direction, just be careful if you have an engine installed that you don't drive it into the oil pan.
184465.gif

All I know about this "crooked furrow" discussion is that us guys in the "Low-Area" were able to figure it out.....
happy.gif

184468.jpg

lets try this for a second time- Does anyone know if a WF lift cylinder will bolt onto a Hydro turn plow mount/setup?

As Steve said getting behind someone with like machine and depth is important. Running aroud like a sob scratching the surface doesn't get it. "Steady as she goes" is key.

Josh, ah! When I read your first post regarding your query where you wrote "Hydro turn plow mount/setup" I was confused as a turning plow is what is used for plowing ground like we've been discussing the last day or so. Sooooo, what you were really asking is: "Is the Wide Frame hydraulic lift cylinder the same as the hydraulic angle cylinder for a dozer blade?" They do look the same, hopefully someone can confirm for you.

Josh O.
I pulled a NOS blade angle cylinder and it's a LOT bigger/longer/thicker than the lift cylinder on a tractor.
I can dig a lift cylinder out later and set them side by side if you want, but the length would be the killer for that idea I'm afraid.
184470.jpg

Latest posts

Back