• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 19, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, Im new to the IH family and am happy to be a part of this forum. I have recently purchased a 1969 Cub 127. I havent been able to get it to turn over yet though and was hoping some of you guys could weigh in with some opinions.
I had purchased a new battery when I went and picked up the tractor. I turn the key and get a single "click" which is coming from the solenoid. I am assuming that the "click" sound is normal..? The reason why I am assuming that it is normal is because I am reading 12V across the solenoid with the ignition turned to the "start" position.
I have looked at the wiring schematic and I notice that there is a Safety Neutral Switch attached to the Brake Pedal assembly but looking under the tractor I dont see a switch anywhere. Can anyone help me on an exact location of the switch? Maybe this is the culprit.
With my limited electrical knowledge I am stumped. The battery is new, the solenoid seems to be functioning, and the starter is receiving and discharging Voltage but the engine wont turn over (the engine is not locked up either)...Any ideas?

Christopher Y.

Welcome to the forum!

If you'll look under the tractor, your probably going to find 2 wires wire nutted together where the switch used to be. Most of the time when the actuating lever breaks, guys remove the switch and connect the wires.
This will give you a general idea where it's at.
This in on another machine but shows approximate location.
319167.jpg

If you get the solenoid to click it's not the safety switch. Bad solenoid, starter, or wiring between the two.

Christopher, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Here's a couple of photos of the underside of a 127 with the safety start switch circled. It's mounted on the same frame cross member as the steering column.

319169.jpg

319170.jpg

Again, If the solenoid clicks it has power and since the safety switch is between the key and the solenoid that's not the issue.

Try jumping a booster pack directly to the starter post and rule out the starter...OR check for voltage on the main pins of the solenoid..should be 12V on battery side and 0 on starter until key is in "start" then 12V on both sides......if not, burnt contacts in solenoid.

This all assumes known good battery measuring 12.5V.....

Could also be corroded wires that have continuity but only in a few strands which wouldn't allow enough current to pass to turn the starter. If the tractor sat outside the wires can wick moisture deep into the wires and corrode so even if the wires look good on the ends they could be bad. Possible that the ground connections to the frame are corroded too.

Another thing to check would be the engine ground and the battery ground making sure they are in good shape.

Christopher Y,

Welcome. You could also have a problem with your Starter-Generator (SG) such as needing new brushes. Check out the FAQ items below:

http://cubfaq.com/sg.html
http://cubfaq.com/sgrepair.html

Run the test first. Also before tearing into the SG, check all wire connections, including ground wires, b/t the battery, SG and frame attach points for signs of corrosion, rust, etc. and make any necessary repairs.

The original wire used on 1X6/7 models utilized some type of cloth insulation which was crap and decays over time, especially if exposed to the outdoor elements. You will frequently find numerous wiring repairs, often poorly done, by previous owners. Often a new wire harness assembly should have been installed but PO's jury rig the wires instead rather than doing it correctly because they don't want to take the time or spend money to buy a new harness, which aren't all the expensive and will save you a lot of headaches and time.

You will find the FAQ link up near the top of the page most helpful in learning about your 127 and helpful tips for keeping it running for many years into the future. There is a 2nd FAQ link you will see on the page that comes up when you select the first link which contains over 100 more FAQ's. I encourage you to take some time and check them out.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, there are many members who have been where you are right now, just getting started and many will offer helpful tips and suggestions based on our prior experiences with same problems you are finding.

Also, we love pictures so feel free to post a pict or two as well. Hope this helps and Happy Cubbing

vroom.gif

Latest posts

Back