• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
26x12x12 fluid filled tires:

I just filled a set of 26x12x12 Titans this week with my tire bong. Each tire will take 9 gallons when filled to the top of the rim with the valve stem at 12:00.

18 Gallons for the pair......no more than that is fitting in without immersing the valve stem.

Steve,

I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate on that (tire bong) process. Maybe a picture just to clear my mind of the initial image that post brought to mind.
deadat30.gif

Tried to start both 147's tonight, I need to move the tractors around. Neither started, -21 is too cold for my 147's.
thumbsdown.gif

Steve: do you have a picture of your "tire bong" i am considering adding fluid and am looking for a simple way?

If you are looking for an easy way to add fluid just buy 12 gallons of RV antifreeze. Then pull the valve stem core, pop the bead, replace the core. Pour the antifreeze into the tire through the popped bead. After 6 gallons refill the tire with air.

Just remember the antifreeze is in there. When you replace the tires you might get a surprise if you forget!

Jeff - do a search for tire bong and youll get several posts that describe it. I think the top one i clicked on had pics and all.

I need to do this as well. Antifreeze seems much more expensive than washer fluid... is there a reason many use antifreeze instead of washer fluid? Is it heavier per gallon?

Portage, Maine, United States (04768) Lat: 46.76N, Lon: 68.48W
Wx Zone: MEZ002 ICAO Used: KPQI
Current Conditions
Updated: 4:15 AM EST FRI JAN 16 2009
Sky Obscured
Temp: -36°F
Wind Speed: CALM
Barometer: 30.18 in.
Dewpoint: -9°F
Heat Index: -36°F
Wind Chill: -36°F
JEANNE'S JEEP STARTED, I CTRL'd C, CTRL'd V, and it's still WICKED COLD!
coffee.gif

Temp's running in the High 70's here. Going to re-roof my patio, need to get it done before it gets too hot. Cubs job is to move trailers. The <font color="119911">big boy</font><font color="000000"> will be lifting material to the roof.</font>

It is -6 here in Tennessee this AM. 6 MPH wind. No snow. I think the cubs will sleep in today.
Anyone heard from the grump?

TERRY B. - It's really tough to get any kind of fluid INSIDE the inner tube without going thru the valve stem.

Seriously....NEVER put fluid in a tubeless tire. Especially if You use calcium Chloride. ALL My tire technical books from FARMALL talk about "Tire and Tube" when discussing tire fluid. The new fluid most tire shops recommend now is some sort of beet juice, almost as heavy as CaCl but not corrosive supposedly. But I know one of the bigger ag tire dealers in the Midwest just put 80 gal./tire of calcium chloride solution in some new tires for My Buddy. When Wyatt & I filled the tires on His 169 with fluid with the first Tire Bong I ever saw We used washer fluid in one and 6 gal. of about 15 gal. of used antifreeze from My PSD in the other. Not the corrosion hazard of CaCl but still a mess if Your tire comes off the bead. Fluid may not hurt the rims in a year, two, even five years but what will they be like in twenty?

I think it was Travis who had a fluid filled tubeless tire come off the rim bead in His shop several years ago. HUGE mess! Of the five tractors in My shop only ONE has fluid, CaCl, and guess how many have rust damaged rims, even with inner tubes. I'm not a big fan of fluid, (or tubeless tires on tractors for that matter) fluid's not even recommended now days with radial tires. Yeah, I know....no radials on CC's. ANYHOW...Do what You want....I have many 40+ year old CC rims/wheels in the shop that still look like new....and they've never been around CaCl fluid. And of the twenty tires on those five tractrors, only TWO don't have tubes. Yet...

Greg,
They probably work fine, try clicking on one of our sponsors above, Dave Kirk, he markets an excellent electronic ignition unit, called a Points-Saver, and you'll be supporting this site and sponsor!!

Greg, Scott,
Forum sponsor David Kirk also sells the PointSlayer. I've been wanting to order one.

Tristan, here's a comparison of various brand hydrostatic filters. They are NOT all alike.

The burrrr continues....

113278.jpg

My 3 pins for the clutch disk barely go through the friction disk on my 104 after replacing them due to breakage. How do I adjust this as this may have been the cause of why the clutch pins sheered off in the first place

Kevin, I've never worked on a Cub clutch (except for an Original clutch which is quite different), so I can't say for sure what's up with yours but from this photo from the service manual, it looks like the pins are not adjustable.
1a_scratchhead.gif
dunno.gif
Unless the engine location in the motor mount bolt holes is how it's adjusted??? But that can't move it by much. Does your 104 have the pulley style drive hub as shown in the photo?

113282.jpg

With all of the recent talk about fluid-filled tires, I thought I would post these photos I took this morning.

I left this jug of "antifreeze" out on the back patio table last night. The label on this container says "Burst-proof to -50deg" and does mention that it will turn to a "slush" when cold. When I woke up this morning, the temp was -22deg and here is what I saw.

113284.jpg

This is the part that concerns me....

113285.jpg

See how the bottom of the container is pushed out? Prior to these very cold temps I could press my thumb into the side of the container and break up the slush by pressing very firmly. Now it's just a solid block with no give! That's not "slush" and I'm doubtful that it gives any "burst protection to -50" as the label says!

If you're wondering why I'm taking photos of antifreeze, it's because I have about 30 gallons of this stuff supposedly "protecting" a large boat with two engines, a generator, and a on-board water system. (think "RV") I can't see how the hard plastic plumbing (which is brittle in the warm summer months) could take this kind of solid-freeze without a burst, so hopefully these pictures never get used, but at least I'll have evidence if I end up owning a large fiberglass sieve this Spring!
rant.gif
bash.gif

Back