• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrigham

displayname
Brendan Brigham
Ron, good point, they don't look home grown to me. Belly grader maybe ? Jason...I wouldn't throw them out just yet.

Rich P, I'm not 100% sure but I think the H42 is made by Haban, think you need a QA42.

Despite the fact you could freeze the balls of a brass monkey I couldn't help but plow some snow that really didn't need it. The 73 ran spectacular up till it threw the gen belt. Well...it still ran good for another hour before I figured I better run back to the Cave for a new belt. Didn't want to carry a spare battery 500yds to where I was plowing.

Ok, some useless trivia...anyone know what a brass monkey is ?

Cannon ball holder!
whistling.gif

Hey Guys

Now that my thrower is working I realize I'm ganna need some rear weight. I've looked through the archives and the FAQ but couldn't find the answer I wanted. What is the most weight I could put on my 982 without stressing anything too much but still move through the rough stuff, ice, slush, etc. Also I called Les Schwab an they offer a compound (not calcium) to install inside the tires that adds 10lb per gallon. They estimate that I can get about 15-20 Gallons per tire. That's up to 400 pounds! What do you think?

-edale

Yepper...the only reason I even know that is through the History channel. I hated educational channels when I was younger but now thats all I watch.

What is this stuff there putting in tires ? Did they say how much $$ ?

Kraig/Lonny it's a little warmer in Thrall, TX than where you guy's are. I think I might work in the garden this weekend and then maybe do a little fishing on Monday.
113269.jpg

Reggie

Ball Education

It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the problem. The best storage method devised was to stack them as a square based pyramid, with one ball on top, resting on four, resting on nine, which rested on sixteen.
Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one problem -- how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others.
The solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations, called, for reasons unknown, a Monkey. But if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make them of brass - hence, Brass Monkeys.
Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.
Thus, it was quite literally, cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. And all this time, you thought that was just a vulgar expression, didn't you? ---- Thx RB

Everett D.-

There is NO WAY 15-20 gallons of fluid will fit in a 26 x 12-12 tire. I had trouble getting 6 gallons in a tubed 10.50 rear tire. I'd say 10 gallons max...and be sure you get tubes too. A 982 is a heavier tractor than the 782 I blow with. I imagine you're using an H48 or 450 blower, which will probably take more weight off the rear wheels of your 982 than my QA36A does on my 782; I have 200# of wheel weights and about 80# of washer fluid in my rear tires (total). I'm not very heavy, and I only get stuck trying to back up icy inclines. Assuming your 982 has split brakes, I think you'd be fine with 300# of fluid and wheel weights.

Dean Sauve.
Dean after reading you response(which I thank you for) I was wondering if you know a Erwin Sauve that lives in Burnsville, MN
elamott

Brendan B -

Thanks for the warning - I was thinking of getting one of those because of the dirty looks I get when I take her blowdryer outside...

Glen E. -

Whereabouts? I'm at 8th and Wabash and Ray Leo's at the Field Museum. If it ever warms up, we should grab lunch.

I know its only been a day but I didnt see a response yet in two pages so I'll ask again what kind of fluid I can put in my 129 hydro... will the hydraulic/trans fluid that TSC sells work or do I need to find an international dealer for Hy-Tran?

I'd like to change the fluid this weekend and I wont have internet after I get off work tonight so I was hoping for a response (working nightshift tonight
sad.gif
anyhow I bought the tractor a couple months ago and havent used it until now I wanted to change the fluids before I used it very much, needed it this week for snow removal. Thanks in advance,

~Tristan

p.s. is the hydro filter also something I will have to special order from like an international dealer or are there generics that will work like from TSC?

You can use the hydro fluid from TSC (I have in the past) but CNH Hy-Tran is the recommended fluid.

Earl I can't say that I do. The family info and history on dads side is very scarce.

Tristan, Hytran is the recomended and is the best. My dad used to run jd's hy gard because of the fleet and it worked but always had a condensate problem. As far as the filters go any good parts store like Napa or Carqwest will have a good quality filter. Filters are made by a few companies. i know Donaldson make filters for CaseIH,Deere, Sullaire, Cat, Detroit Diesel, Cummins ect. Most are only diferent in the paint and printing.

After blowing snow with the QA-42 hooked up to the 149 twice now, I don't think I will ever hook the plow up again. What a difference!!!!!!!!! When I got my plow (for free) a few years ago, the PO said why don't you take that blower I have sitting over there in the corner. I told him no thanks because I have a shale driveway....what a mistake! So I just bought one and wish I didn't pass the free one up. I adjusted the skids down a little bit and only hit the shale I had piled up from the last time I used the plow. And by the way, it is 1 degree outside, they already cancelled school for tomorrow and it's supposed to be -10 to -20 out tomorrow. I would rather be tilling than snow blowing. Nick
beerchug.gif

Welcome to the bright side Nick. I have moved snow with loaders of varring sizes, plows and blowers and there is nothing like a blower. If you are good you only have to move the snow once. Not having to plow out half of the yard so you still have room at the end of the season sure is nice. If you get the skid shoes right there is alot less gravel to clean up at the end of winter ect....
Shift.gif

Hey Dean, I figure the gravel I do hit is so spread out it might not be worth worrying about. Come mowing season, you can't ignore the piles left from the plow. lol. Nick

Bryan, you're kidding right. I am at 9th and State. I got some cool pics of the museum too. We were gonna sell seats to the Obama speach in Grant Park last fall. A perfect view from 30 floors up.

WOW i just came in from trying out my blower, what a machine, 1 question though while i was bloweing or throwing whatver the muffler on the 169 got cherry red ive never noticed that before but i dont use it much at night. i didnt seem that it was pulling the motor down much at all,like you would think it would if it was getting hot.what does it sound like to any of you,a lean carb or to hot of plug?,
by the way once you get a qa42 fabed up to fit a 169 how on earth do you move with it!!! i had a heck of a time i have fluid but no weights that thing is heaaaavy!!!!!,jared

Back