• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 24, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom H - goy I love these games. Bout the only think I see odd, is in the pic with the hood open and side panel removed, you see a white heat shield. IH Marketing and their air-brush strikes again.
(Under edit - DANG IT, I was typing to much and got beat to the post by the DO-DAH)

Paul, Jeremiah and Don - I agree with Paul about using a "metal" wire. I don't like that myself so I'm gonna blame it on Wayne. He started it. Actually a wire would be last resort. A plastic or nylon bristle of some type is better but don't know if it would hold up against a chemical cleaner. Paint brush bristle might work. I just think with the passages as small as the are the ultrasound just may not work. In my worst case scenario I had a carb packed with sand. I don't know where it all went, and I never tried it before I used the plastic bristle. I just pushed it thru all the passages I could find to make sure they were open. Guess we'll know better once Don gets that carb going again - AND I'M CERTAIN he will. I think Paul said it already, that unless the float mount or something else is actually broken off, the carb should be able to be cleaned up and used again - and I don't mean for a baseball.

David S - looks like a nice 1200 ya picked up. Carefule driving it with the deck off - you'll be popping wheelies.
And I see part of the snow thrower behind it. It looks like an H42 or H48 which was made for IH by Haban. The CPE-2 Parts Catalog states "Built 1980 and Since". Never actually seen one and don't know anyone using one, but with the build dates they are more common with an '82 series tractor. It should have the 3/8" gear box pulley to correspond with your PTO but the parts catalog doesn't show a selection or size. I do see it list an electric chute direction control which was probably optional.

I've got a little kit of different size wires I've used for years and years to run through carbs. I don't know how ya'll think wire should be used but apparently we don't think the same. Using wire is something a lot of people do for the small passages, etc in carbs. You don't jab or twist the wire; you simply push the wire through to assure the passage is open. If the wire won't go through then I go to a smaller size. I've never experienced damage due to wire usage.

What's the big deal here????????

Wayne: Something like this?
"THERMO Tip Cleaner Zane Weldcraft Supplies Hartford, Conn." :
254432.jpg
happy.gif

Don-
Nice picture of the line-up...

The reason I got rid of the "stack" is because I didn't like it. It put all of the noise and exhaust right up in my face. I'm glad you like it, but it just wasn't for me.

Frank-

Aren't those wires a little abrasive? The wires I use are smooth, plain wire. I have a set similar to yours for my torch. I think they might be a little "much" for cleaning aluminum carbs but they do work well for their intended use. I even have some bread ties I use for very small orifices. The paper will burn right off and leave a nice fine wire that bends easily for weird places, etc. I also use a couple of different sizes of piano wire or stainless. I don't use wire to scrub any buildup...only to clear passage ways for carb cleaner and compressed air.

I'm guessing there are several guys on here that use wire the way I speak of. I think proper use boils down to common sense.

Home of the Plow Special (Aaytay)

The muffler just sits down over the stack.You should hear that 149 when I lift the muffler off and use it. It does Bark then lol.

I think I will spend some time on some tin for the 125 today and let the Carb soak.I have to change governor spring position so it is not so hard and fast .

Ok I have to know!!! one problem I have here with my wide frame tractors is with the tunnel cover bolts.They just don`t stay in. I don`t know how many times I see a bolt on the ground only to look and see one missing on my 149.I know the frame moves around and that seems to work the bolts out and the threads are easy to strip
bash.gif
I`am thinking of welding long shank nuts to hold the bolts for the cover. anybody else have this problem ?

Don T,
Try these- Riv-nuts... you can get a kit from harbor fright tools..
254437.jpg

254438.jpg

254439.jpg

Tom,
That one tractor in that brochure must be from "down under"
whistling.gif

Scott Tanner... Looking for "round tuits"...

Thanks ; that is what I have been looking for. Youtube told me how to make the instlation tool to install the Rivnuts . This is what makes this site sooooo great.
thumbsup_old.gif

Don T,
you don't really need the tool, but it makes it nice... We have a pneumatic tool here at work, which is really slick.. I used 3/8" rivnuts to hold my front add-on bumper on, I used a bolt, nut and washers to install the rivnuts...

Late to the party here, but the carb cleaning discussions here seemed to miss the main point - you need a solvent that dissolves the varnish, something hat the dunk pail cleaning kits provides. Check this Youtube "infomercial" (It's not that long) to see what it's supposed to do. The worst gunked carbs that I ever saw came off a Yamaha 650 - the bike absolutely ran like crap after a thorough disassembly and cleaning with pressure can carb cleaner. Went and got a dunk can of Gunk and 24 hours later the bike was running like new. I like the idea of using Don's ultrasound with it, but don't like poking wires into blind passages - I guess to each his own and also the fact that a lot of the carbs I work on are more complicated than the Carters and Walbros..

Scott Tanner... Looking for "round tuits"...

I think Charlie is missing out here !!! he could package 4 of the Rivnuts in a package with two washers and a bolt to assembly it.I would pay for a kit like that for my 129 and 149. I bet it would cost him pennys and could charge $6.00 a kit.

Gerry I

I think the soaking I gave the Carb in the super clean and then running the ultrasonic cleaner will do the trick. Water and soap just did not remove the varnish that I think (hope ) was my problem.

I will soon know , I`am headed out to the shop now to give that Carb a try and install it on the 125.

Jeff - ok, what's the story with the pics?

Wayne, et al - for me the "wire" is a last resort. I think Paul mentioned it could scratch the passages, which I believe it could, but Wayne also noted he has smooth wires, and I assume somewhat rounded tip (not easy to find, and I don't know about the ones in a bread tie wrap). If I get a carb all cleaned up, everything I see looks great, install it AND then have Don T's problem, well then off she comes and out comes the wires and more carb cleaner to check everyone of those dang passages. I've probably only cleaned up 30 or 40 carbs, and only ever had to use a wire 5 or 6 times, but I never had a carb I turned into a baseball. I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, and as often as I get a bad carb (never any more) I can't see getting one. If does look like it cleans things up pretty good.

Don's Carb event had me a bit worried about the nasty Carb I needed to clean... I even looked my my 2 spare Carbs but they are both Walbro Carbs so I did not want to touch them. Here it is.

254457.jpg

I put it in Berrymans Chem-Dip last Friday night, the same pail Ken Freeman posted. I then took it out Saturday, put it my parts cleaner and rinsed it, the sprayed it with carb cleaner.

254458.jpg

On Sunday I drove the 123! It did not want to start for a bit, but after I covered the Carb inlet with my leather gloved hand it fired and ran perfectly. I plowed some slush off my driveway.

254459.jpg

Tom
The hourmeter appears to be the same as the 169 hourmeter which isn't too unusual since they used what they had at the time. Comming from a manufacturing background I think thats pretty common.

On January 19th I traded an off brand non running garden tractor for a 102 and 123. Neither Cubs run, the 102 has a broken steering and the 123 motor is missing parts - head, carb, starter generator and more. I decided to remove the engine from the 123 and install the 10hp from the 102 into the 123

Here's the 102 it came with a snow blade - of which I also put on the 123 and it works fine. Notice the steering linkage hanging below the footrest.

254467.jpg

Here's the before pic of the 123.

254468.jpg

254469.jpg

It came with a 3 turn steering, 2 links chains, and a rear lift. There's a few things to fix yet on it such as a key switch, it currently utilizes a flat head screwdriver to start it... There is an amp meter on it that I should rehook up, the correct sterring wheel would help from hitting the hydro lever while turning, and the Choke cable it hard to push-pull.

Harry Bursell

I think Jeff might be complaining about all the posting on carb cleaning.I hope not, because that would be a moderator to tell us. I do like to see what everybody uses there Cubs for.
worthless.gif

The 125 Carb has soaked for 15 minutes and is now in the ultrasonic cleaner.I will spray all the passages with Gunk Carb Medic and blow out with 125 psi air and reassemble.

Just for fun MY 100 .

254472.jpg

Vincent Thomley

I don`t think the 123 had an hour meter on the dash .
1a_scratchhead.gif
A three turn steering box is sweet.That 123 is sure in better shape that the one I have .
cubwinker.gif

Latest posts

Back