• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 17, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of changing the headlights to the LED's like Mike Masheris has on his 982. Those sealed beam are getting $$$

Tom,
LED's??? I would like to know more about them.
Pics? How well do they work? ect.
popcorn2.gif

Does anoyone know were i can get new rod bears for my 982 with an Onan B48G motor. I called the local dealer and he said they are not available. When i look on Onanparts.com it does not show one. Any help is appreciated.

Kieth, Yes, piece of 5" stack. Worst part is getting the outlet pipe properly oriented so it comes out in the right spot to meet the hole in the grill screen.

Oh yes, an be sure to get them both in the right spot so that the end caps don't rub on the muffler box sides.

Shultzie,
Maybe Mike can chime in on this subject.

John Bolens and I visited Mike last Saturday and he showed us the 982 he just finished. He put in the LED's and they fit right in. The light is the blueish tint and VERY bright, but Mike said that they don't seem to have the "depth" of a sealed beam. Heck, at under 6.9mph I din't think I'll out run the lights.

TOM - That's the thing I don't care for about LED's, they don't seem to "throw light very far" compared to an incandescent.

Guy at work came up to my cubicle about 10 yrs ago, was cleaning out some old cabinents, had THREE 4411 sealed beams, asked if I could use them, yep, Super H & 982 both use them. Price was right, Free, checked Farm & Fleet next time I was there, over $10/each. I see CC gets almost $30 for them now. The old emergency evacuation lights all around the plant used 4411's.

SON's going to try to put LED's on the 70. I doubt his neighbor's will like him mowing at night. But will be fine for moving snow.

Been my experience via SON, good LED's are BIG Bucks, cheap LED's are junk. All LED's seem to have a very narrow focused beam, will be brite straight on, take a step to the side fifty feet away and you can barely tell they're on. The LED mfg's have fixed that, but their prices are crazy.

Had to laugh at all the semi's I passed going to work yesterday afternoon, all the trailers with LED tail lights the snow had covered over their lights. Buddy's son-in-law drives semi for UPS, told me a year or two ago UPS is going back to all sealed beam trailer lights because of exactly that.

STEVE BAUER - I have a phone number for a place up in MN that sells LOTS of Onan parts.

I did a search on Onanparts for B48G main bearing inserts and got directed to a $1300 rebuild kit that had inserts, so they are available.

I'd keep searching, and I'll try to find that phone number for you.

From what I've learned, the lack of depth comes from a very limited spectrum of wave lengths. Sealed beams (incandesant) burning a filament give off lots of different wavelengths. Whereas LED's are limited to a very narrow spectrum. And that being the difference between cheap and expensive lights.

That's why LED flashlights kinda suck. Not enough spectrum.
Remember the old 4x4 lights KC Daylighters? They weren't just bright because of watts. They were bright because they mimicked the wavelengths of actual sunlight. Same thing with those fancy SilverStar bulbs for cars. The builds are coated to broaden the spectrum.

They other downfall of LED bulbs is that they don't get hot. Many cities found that out when street lights switched to LED. When it snows and gets blown on the lense, the light isn't hot enough to melt it. And it covers the light resulting in lots of confused drivers. Blowing snow might be that same with LED on a cub.

What we need is replacement housings that allow for late model replacement elements. That's what my '78 ford truck has now. Plastic housing that look like sealed bulbs, but I can put '89-'93 elements in them, and they are much brighter.

Back