Archive through February 15, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboelens

displayname
John Boelens
..And I even turned the page!
err.gif

Frank I will take that as a complement, well of course I was trying to save a buck and had no idea were or how to get seat looking original, went to local upholstery shop, they just laughed at me, but did sell me some marine grade vinyl, for a mere 20 bucks and said good luck, I did plan on doing it myself but was tilling my neighbours garden, and we got into a conversation about 125, long story short his sister did it for me, I seriously have know idea how to get it exactly as it was originally, if anybody can I would like to know, I think it looks better than it did

Keith O - chains are still close, but I'd think if they are tight, you are good.

FWIW, I've thought about using 2 inch spacers and 8.5 inch width tires on my 1650. I kind of like the narrower tires, especially with ag tread. But what I like about the wide tires is the wide track and the fact that I got a place to land my foot beyond the fender when climbing over the seat to get on the tractor in the first place...
coffee.gif

The wider spacers and narrower tires ought to keep even a loose chain out of the inner fender area.

Joel: That must be about the most impossible restoration procedure that we can come up with. Most, if not all, that I've seen have a seam where the seat meets the back. A few years ago I went to a "local" (Pelletier's in Caribou - come to think of it, you know that) upholstery shop that had been in business over 50 years and asked for an estimate. $165 and it couldn't be done without a seam.

My bad.
beerchug.gif

A recent conversation concerned reproduction parts. If a thread were to be started about that subject, high on the (my) list would be the "deluxe seat" and the 169's muffler.
happy.gif

Melody: Quick answer -- Yes!
happy.gif

Someone will soon kick in with complications involved.
happy.gif
happy.gif

If I were to make a semi-educated guess, I'd say Dennis Frisk. That said, I must confess that in a conversation with Don T. I nicknamed Dennis "Windy". Sorry Dennis, but the truth sets us free.
beerchug.gif
happy.gif

I'm way to new here to comment either way on that, I am amazed at some of the post from Dennis, it must be windy around his keyboard, I'm thinking it must be a process involving heat, maybe we could get Kurt to built some.

It is my understanding that on another forum, they are trying to reproduce a garden tractor seat, for a certain tractor which carries 3 hydraulic levers on the left side,
aaaa_tongue2.gif
but I think they are quite a bit behind schedule, so it's probably not an easy thing

Wherever they were originally made it had to be a very special process to mold the seat, foam it, and mold the vinyl covering to it without a seam. That blue seal trim is a very special thing. I've often thought that if a whole tractor could be made from seat trim and the old decals it would last forever!
happy.gif

Hey all - local guy says he can replicate the seat and have two for him to work on. Unfortunately I've already stripped the pans so I don't know just how thick the foam is in different areas so holding off till I have a junker to look at. Guy makes leather restoration stuff for jaguars and really knows his stuff. Said it takes a special vinyl to make it contour without a seam. If anyone has some good pics of the padding w/o the white I'll have mine done and report back with the results. He made some pads for me awhile back and they are really nice.
283704.jpg

I was gonna buy new trim and dye it, but was able to clean it up original trim, it is amazing that it lasted this long,
Terry I only had the one 125 seat so I do not have them measurements, at least until frank sells me one of his 123's
I did add some thin gel padding that is used on motorcycle seats, it did make a difference

Seats:
So many seats. So many butts. So many reasons for a seat. Do we want a seat that's comfortable to our particular posture? One that matches or closely resembles the one that came on the tractor when it left the factory?
I recently bought a 102 with the rubber seat that it came with. What little time I've had to sit in that seat a think I like it. What little time I've had to spend with that Gear Drive tractor, I think I can come to like it, too.
beerchug.gif
happy.gif

It's strictly my opinion but I think 102 seats are the nicest/coolest looking seats that cub cadet ever made, as far as comfort I like a pan seat sitting on spring steel, just feels right to me, I don't particularly like the ride of my 125, there's no give, someday I'm gonna add a spring or shock of some sort

Hey John,
That's for the "good egg" reference. Nice to be on the other side of the stick. BTW you're a pretty good egg yourself.

Joel:
I was looking to contradict you, but you're right - there's no "spring suspension" on a 125 seat. I'm thinking the "deluxe seat" was the IH engineers answer to providing more comfort back then. The 125 was the "prettying up" of the 123 and I think that's where the deluxe seat came in (with the 123). ?

Different opinion....102 seats are the WORST.....absolutely uncomfortable for my butt.....

Pan seats aren't bad, but the high backs on springs (wide frames) are most comfortable to me.

Maybe some pics of all the seats cub has used through the years? It would help educate a cubber who has only had seat time on a 122 since maybe 1968 when my step dad bought it new. By the way I've had it"s seat reupolstered. It has the seam because the guy said he couldn't do it any other way. The blue pipeing has been retained and it looks great!

Original Seat:

283706.jpg

70/100 Seat:

283707.jpg

71, 72 and 73 Seat:

283708.jpg

102 Seat:

283709.jpg

122, 123, 104, 124, 105 and 125 Seat:

283710.jpg

Latest posts

Back