• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through February 07, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry Davis

Yes there should be a washer behind the governor gear using the metal governor. I do have a metal governor here that has a washer and one I got off evilpay that does not . I plan to buy one the same so I can use the gear.
old.gif

the shim for the bearing plate looks like a paper gasket that goes between the bearing plate and the block.

Hey Donald - my governor gear is red plastic - still takes a shim or washer behind it. Have the paper gaskets.

Kraig: Where did you find those measuring guides? They're cool! I've been thinking about making up my own, because you really need something like that when you're tearing down an engine.

Jeremiah, they are from Section 4, Measurement Guide, of the IH/Kohler Service Manual, #GSS-1465-B, April 1984, that I have scans of.
happy.gif
I suppose you want the files... The zip file with just the 11 pages from Section 4 is just over 2MB.

Hey Donald/Kraig - my k321 has the plastic governor gear - still takes a washer/spacer? Have two engines apart with plastic gears and can't find a single spacer. Bout how thick are they?

Terry-

The governor gear is made of white plastic. If yours is stained red, that's a sign it's deteriorated and it's time to replace it. I would never put a used governor gear back in an engine if it is that far apart.

Terry Davis

the washer on the one metal governor gear looks like copper or brass in colour and is as thick as a penny I would guess. I`an not going in my shop today , but I will measure it next trip out.

I have to add that I don`t trust new plastic governor gears.When I rebuilt the engine in my 149, I installed a new plastic governor gear and could not get it not to run wild. I had a friend come over and he tried to adjust it and that did not work. So we installed a used metal governor I had here with out taking the engine apart. We removed the Cam cover and base pan and changed the governor using a coat hanger bent to hold the governor. Worked slick and save me hrs on the install. Metal governor works great. I read the pullers all run the metal governors.
1a_scratchhead.gif

BOY... Sure a lot of BLACK SABBATH fans on here today.... all PARANOID about plastic governor gears! DON - I didn't think Puller's used governors?

The K241 I rebuilt back in '85 had a plastic gov. gear in it and it ran another 1400 hours after getting hot enough before I rebuilt it to REALLY warp the head. And when I rebuild it again this spring that old plastic gear will go back in it. As long as the weights swing free and there's no obvious defects in the gear teeth, they're good to go. There's really next to NO load on those gears. It's amazing what plastic gears will withstand based off my experience with R/C cars. A molded plastic gear will wear out a sintered steel mating gear, or two with no decernable wear on the plastic gear.

In all the years I've been around Kohler engines the only gov. part I've even had break was the finger spot-welded onto the gov. shaft on the K301 I rebuilt. The machine shop that bored & honed it broke it... I went back there after finding the broke finger and they pretty much blew me off. That's why I drive 75 miles to my NEW machine shop as opposed to 7-1/2 miles. They also wanted to charge me $40 to heli-coil the plug threads on that engine, or sell me the heli-coil kit for $40. Screw them... I ordered the spark plug taps from McMaster-Carr for $30 and drilled and tapped the new larger plug threads for a Champion D9 plug with the head still on the engine. I rolled the engine over so the intake valve was closed and exh was open and SON blew compressed air into the muffler to blow the chips out of the combustion chamber. Tractor/engine ran fine for over ten years that way.

Well, a little progress to report. First, shined up cam end play to .006 and think I'm good there. Second, couldn't find any shim for my governor gear so ordered two new ones for three bucks a pop. The arm on my gov. Shaft was loosely good et so I used a punch to snug that up. Looks like I'll have to wait for the washers before I go any further. I do have another question: I didn't mark the valve lifters for intake and exhaust and hoping they're interchangeable? Oh, I have a new piston (kohler) and curious if there is any mark indicating which direction it faces in the block. Thanks and NO more governor questions for today.

Now that the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup no longer has the seria/product code list, did anyone copy it or is it located somewhere else?

Latest posts

Back