• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 06, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken- Won't work. Behind the 149 is a deluxe cab (goes on the 127-could not get to it) hanging from the ceiling with 3 decks and 2 throwers under it. I promise- if I can get through the rest of this winter with out getting buried I will be better prepared next year. ( Did I say that last year too ? )

Pick up the pace jim lol
crash.gif
I too sense a big storm. And this time the forecasters better be right.
err.gif
(<font size="-2">like they ever are)</font>

Okay here's a true fact - Back when I was around 16 the radio forcast gave clear sunny skies. My grandfather was wayyyy out in the fields on a tractor and it came a cloud burst. He looked like he had been swimming fully clothed. He was mad...mad! He called the radio station and talked to the weather guy... I can't repeat what he told him.
censored.gif
Now , you guys don't really believe the forcast do ya? They sure have been missing it here this year.

Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow Removal Snow Removal, Excuse to drive your cub, I LOVE winter.
Well it took me an hour, a torch, and a battery charger to get my 149 to start today... only got to 18, musta had a heat stroke. I finally got it started, and am runnin hoodless, but I got the headlight/nose peice held up by a bungie cord... and am ready for snow, if it ever does.
irritated.gif

Thanks again Pops (e-mails) but I wonder if anyone else has done this, or thought about it... If I already have the muffler through the hood, why not the air cleaner too (farmall cub style...) Is it do-able????

Jeff- I'm making progress, 3 weeks ago I changed the oil in the 124 ( took about 1 hour ) and was so ------ off I went back in the house and told the wife if it snowed I was staying home until it melted. Son had " projects " all over the yard, there was no place to push the snow if it ever came. Son was at work so I had time to calm down before I said something I would regret. The next day he got most of it moved.( see post below )

For Roger Cole:
You <u>can</u> clear gravel drives with a thrower, I have for about 20 years, first with a QA 36 and now a QA 42. At the risk of total humiliation (and knowing that Kraig keeps all pictures), here's the results. This auger was dollied back into shape and tears welded up about 5 years ago. (Cost me 60 bucks for the media blasting - but that's another story). As Ryan said, let a base build up first - but be aware that stones will work their way up to the surface.
51199.jpg
51200.jpg

51201.jpg
51202.jpg

and hey Charlie - finally got some graphite paint at TSC over the weekend - great stuff - sprayed it on - it was dry in about 20 minutes. Had enough left over to spray the treads on both rear tires (no more snow packing on the tires, Kraig......heh heh heh...)
51203.jpg

Digger,

Do you have any more photos of the Sweepster on the QL? I have a Sweepster that looks more like the one in Roland's brochure [with the plastic brush cover and plastic chain guard] for my 1250. Mine is in rough shape and needs a couple of things to be useful.

There is no lift mechanism. I thought it used the tractor's lift to raise and lower the brush but after reading the description in Roland's brochure perhaps it is completely a function of the Sweepster unit.

Also, I haven't found the optimum set up with the way the gearbox is suspended under the attachment bracket. I've tried many different combinations of holes but when the drive pulley lines up with the PTO, the Sweepster driveshaft seems too short. I haven't figured out if I don't have the proper parts or if I just haven't found the magic combination.

Thanks for your help guys, Mike

Wow! Thanks Digger - They must have kept on "improving" them because the mounting brackets look a bit different on all of those.

Mike

Charlie thanks for letting us get a little OFF TOPIC today with this boring weather. I'm glad you got some snow at least.

Yesterday's forecast was for 1"-3". I got home yesterday afternoon, and we may have had just over an inch. It was such dry, powdery stuff that I just took the leaf blower and blew off Sue's part of the drive. It did take a while for it to get warm enough to take it off the partial choke position. I did put the 109/129 on the charger for the time I was blowing off the drive, just in case more showed up last night. Not enough to start anything. Maybe there'll be enough I can use a broom this afternoon...

Well a little report from Wabash, In. Got 5 inches yesterday so I was at the hospital by 3:30Am this morning. Moved the snow about as far as I can so after lunch going to put the snowblower on. The biggest reason I use the "blower" is because of the Heliport inclosed 3 sides and the area is getting rather small. The air was really fresh this morning -7 degrees and "ol pops" still does it with out a cab!

We had one of those Sweeptser's for years used to run it on our 446 Ingersoll with electric lift. God Lord I hated that thing nooo not the tractor just that PITB broom.

Pops

Roger, I have a gravel driveway and I drive on the first few snowfalls to pack down a 2-3" base before I use the snowthrower on it. And even then some gravel can come to the top when the tires spin or if you get to a soft spot. I modified the skids on my QA42 so they have a wider skid surface and I adjust them so they keep the scraper an inch or so off of the surface.

51226.jpg

Charlie, I believe that my Dexter Sweepster was modified by the corporation that owned it before me. I think they removed the mount that Dexter had on it and replaced it with a QA snowthrower subframe. I've never seen another one like it. My old Sweepster is lifted with a cable. I'm not sure if they all work the same but to lift mine I have to push the lift arm forward rather then pull it to the rear. There is a bracket that is mounted onto the rockshaft that the cable attaches to.

51227.jpg

51228.jpg

Here's a Sweepster that my good friend Art had. Note that it also has a cable lift system but it uses pulleys in place of the odd "push to lift" setup that mine has.

51229.jpg

51230.jpg

Kendell, you're going to like that graphite paint on the snowthrower! Hmmmmm, wouldn't graphite paint on the tires reduce traction?
happy.gif
dunno.gif

I really need to do some work on my Sweepster.... I have not used it in about 10 years or so because the brushes are worn out and I have not felt like paying $200+ for a new set. The fiberglass hood is all cracked and as you can see in the photo that Charlie posted, it was patched with galvanized sheetmetal popriveted to the fiberglass. This patch was done by the previous owner and it was in need of further repairs before I bought it. I'd like to refurbish it and someday I'll get around to it, not "A Round TUIT", I have a bunch of those!

51232.jpg

Coupla' action shots from last night. The equipment ran great and made for a good time.
baldguy.gif

51237.jpg

51238.jpg

51239.jpg

Mike F., great photos! I really like the lighting and the perspective in that last shot.
thumbsup.gif

Back