• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 23, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhomrighausen

displayname
Marlin Homrighausen
Scott N. Thank You!!! The Keepsake 1650 sure wants to attend Spring Plow Day next year. I think that I'll just get another oil pan for it just in case this one is worn where it shouldn't be. I know of a couple of bad 12 hp Kohlers that should have good pans.

Dennis F. I'll admit it is fun being out moving snow with a diesel Cub Cadet. Somewhat quieter than the 125 and it definitely will push the snow.

MARLIN - Your 782D probably has almost as much HP as My Super H. It's getting kinda tired (like Me) Head & pan have NEVER been off the engine.

TODD H. - The inboard mounted gauge wheels aren't that bad to deal with. I've had them on My 38" deck on the 72 for 27 years now. I raise the frt end of the CC up a couple inches with the floor jack and roll the deck right under the tractor. The wheels on the back of the deck are too tall to fit under the rearend. I've made a few changes to this deck, it mows really nice now.
The CC 70 Dad got new in '65 had the 38" cast iron end deck on it when delivered. The gauge wheels on it were outside the rear wheel. I never liked that arrangement. If You trimmed too close to something the deck would move sideways and the nut on the gauge wheel would dig into the sidewall of the rear tire. Plus the stamped deck seemed to warp really bad.

Todd I do the same thing as Dennis, it works pretty good, as long as you remember to take the belt off! I get rushing around and forget to do that, then make up some new words, and then remember the belt!

Dennis, what kind of changes did you do to your 38" deck to make it mow better?

Charlie, thanks for the answer!

Got another 4.5" on the 9"-10" from the other day. Gotta' tell ya'...........SNOWTHROWER!! The <u>only</u> way to go.

Dennis/Scott, thanks for the info. I may look into getting a set. My 38 deck never had them from new. Is there any advantage mowing flat ground? I think the gauge wheels would have more use mowing hillsides or uneven ground were the deck could bottom out and scalp the ground. Not many hills where I'am at.

Dennis, I am also interested in"making my 38 deck mow better"

Todd H. I believe the gauge wheel's help with keeping the deck level so the ends dont wobble up and down too much, and for keeping the front or back of the deck from being to low or too high to give you a level mow no matter what you mowing. Hill or otherwise. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, or can elaborate better!

Todd:
On the 129's 48 inch deck (later design), the half round runners were perfect for slicing sod when turning on uneven ground. The (now defunct)local Cub dealer sold me a retrofit kit of gauge wheels ( ball style, like everyone uses now) for the front edge of the deck and I built my own kit using ball bearing solid steel/semi pneumatics for the back edge. The brackets had to be welded on, but I never regretted the time put into eliminating those turf slicers...
111910.jpg

BTW - any guesses as to the exercise pictured?? (hint - the tank was chained to the tree and I've referred to it as "calf pulling"}

Under edit: Scott - keep in mind with the deck properly leveled and hung, those wheels normally do not roll on the ground, but float just above it (on a level surface).

WEATHER ALERT!
National Weather Service for Greater Western Pennsylvania Area has just declared a NO snow forecast for remaining winter time period. After receiving photographic evidence of a working snow moving device connected to H.Miller's tractor, it was factored that no possibility of snow existed for that area of country.
This may change if said tractor has malfunction and refuses to operate,at that point expect massive snow precipitation within 1 hour of machinery breakdown.
111913.jpg

Kendall, thank you for correcting me! I wasnt too sure if I was right, but I thought I would give it a shot anyway! Thats good info for when I redo mine here in a week or two!
bouncy.gif

Harry, my wife said we would have no snow this winter when I put my plow on in late November. Only because I had put it on and I wanted to plow!! We have already beaten our last years record for November and early December! I hate to say it but she was wrong!!
clappy.gif

Harry M., it might still snow because my 149 is still down...
Kraig, B.T.W, real funny, my kids were making fun of me. But then again, they didn't know what some of them meant either. Have a good one, Nick

Thanks Scott/Kendell. Like I said, I agree the wheels would keep the deck or runners from scalping the ground. I never got much "bouncing of the deck" on the completely flat ground I mow on.

I agree with Kendell that the deck wheels should not be touching or rolling on a level surface. Nice fab job by the way! I don't believe my fab/weld skills are that good.

Hymm, blame the wife for getting the garden hose wrapped up in the tank chain?

Nick, all in fun.
happy.gif
Sorry if I offended.
blush.gif

Kendell, removing the bladder from a pressure tank? What did you make out of the tank, a sand blaster?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kenneth, I took some detail photos of my good 42" mower decks. I'll post them after my camera batteries recharge.

I also took some photos of the winter Cub Den (aka horse trailer) with the #2 125 nestled inside. No snow removal action photos yet, hopefully next snow storm.

Kendell - I agree with Kraig; it looks like you're pulling the bladder from a pressure tank. But I may not have recognized it without the "calf pulling" clue. Never had a Cub for that task as a kid back on the farm - just 'armstrong' power and a lariat.

Cub even started right up today-but it was in a 50 degree garage. Was fighting plow when putting on but figured I was being too gentle,trying not to scratch anything,bang it,etc. once I got it sorta lined up, got long bars just hooked on rockshaft,went around front,gave it a good kick at top of plow and WHAM! it went right on.
Had a blast fixin chains too before I put em on,still cant figure how they can get totally twisted around while on tires. mysteries of life is what keeps it interesting,I guess.

Terminology question: I've often read (most recently on previous page) comments about pins - spirol, spiral, coil, and roll pins. Gotta admit, I'm confused.
1a_scratchhead.gif

My previous understanding of a roll pin was a hollow pin with a slot the length of the pin to allow it to be squeezed into a slightly smaller opening. Yes? No? Maybe?
dunno.gif

Comparing the Parts Lookup with my tractors, a coil pin appears to be the type that looks like a coil when looking at the end - apparently these also get compressed into a slightly smaller opening, which keeps them tightly in place?
dizzy.gif

Finally, I'd guess that the terms "spirol pins" and "spiral pins" are probably being used interchangeably, and are possibly synonymous with the IH term "coil pins."

OK, now be gentle and tell me how I scored on this little test... Thanks.

harry miller are you related to ray miller of burgettstown?

Lip-
As a teacher, I'd give you a 100% on this test. You did good.

The only thing you missed was was the extra credit, which is to say that true (single layer) "coil-pins" have NO place on our Cubs, but you did kind of imply it, so we'll let it go this time.

Well done!
beerchug.gif

Harry, nice lookin Cub
thumbsup.gif

My 102 is easy goin when it comes to the snow blade, it just slides on like it want's it there. On the other hand my 73 fights me all the way. I've looked at everything over and over, everything is as it should be. Same deal though...get it close...few choice words...swift kick in the grill. Works every time
happy.gif

Back