• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 20, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, Thats how you post pictures. Nice job.
Ken, I don't know. I can see where that would work. Seems like it would put a lot of stress on the belt.

Just made a hitch for my 682, so I can use the ball hitch the PO installed and also tow my garden trailer that has a pin hitch. The ball hitch bolts to a reinforced Cub stock hitch plate and has an upward bend to accommodate normal trailer height. I added a 2" wide strap of 3/16" steel sandwiched between the ball hitch holder and the stock hitch plate, so it's at normal garden trailer height and sticks out about an inch farther than the ball hitch. Now that it's done, I wish I had used 1/4" steel, but it will do for this winter. If it bends I can always replace it with a heavier one.

Also just loaded my Carlisle Super Lugs with windshield washer fluid. Thanks to this site I knew how to do it. It's tough breaking the bead without a bead-breaker, though. Ended up using two tire tools, a block of wood, and a big hammer. Took some effort, but didn't take long. After loading the tires, I see why so many folks install lugs on their rears, though. That's a future upgrade for my 682 and my 1650.

Forgot to take pics. Maybe tomorrow.

Kevin, what did you use for paint. Color? A Tractor Supply just opened in my town.

Dave,

I misread your clarification post.

Apparently there is an additional adapter package used to fit the QA-42A on a narrow frame. Maybe it addresses this issue.

I thought someone who actually knows would chime in.

I think I would get a piece of pipe (1"?) and cut two bushings and install them on that lower shaft. But what do I know! As you mentioned, drilling the shaft and installing cotter pins (with or without washers) might work. But, the set up for narrow frames puts more bending forces in that shaft and drilling a hole removes metal from right where the maximum stress develops. The shaft might be over-sized enough to work, but I would stick with bushings. That's just me.

Ken, I looked at the manual, in illustration 15 it shows being put on a narrow frame. In that picture the blower is slid all the way to the left (sitting on the tractor). I can see advantages to that with a lot of wieght on that side and only one bushing to lose.
I was on the parts look-up and didn't find it, does anyone know whats in that adapter kit?

Dave, Ken, the photos in the QA36A/QA42A manual that show the 1x4/5 series Cub Cadet (Illustrations# 14A, 14B and 15) are just retouched photos from the QA36/QA42 Manual. Don't put much faith in them for adapting the QA36A/QA42A to fit a narrow frame... I just recently acquired a QA42A to add to my collection of QA42 snowthrowers. I've not yet done any detailed comparisons though. I think I know what you are referring to with the side to side movement of the auger housing where it mounts to the gearbox mount/sub frame.

Right after I posted that I recalled a series of photos I have, forget who I got them from though... In any case here's the photo that shows a QA42A set up for a NF and the required spacers:

233645.jpg

Dave/Kraig,
Now I know waht you were talking about. Yup, I just attempted to put a QAXX on a 122 with no luck due to the attaching brackets being to long to the front. Yes mine had the spacers in there too.

John, I used Velspar IH White in the spray cans..Bought it at TSC..It covered really well and was very good paint..It is the same as Plastikote. Velspar makes that too..I used the spray cans but if it was not this time of year, I would have used a spray gun..It matches the Cub Cadet paint on the 169 pretty good..

Latest posts

Back