• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 26, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlspicer

displayname
jlspicer
Dunno Charlie,
Maybe a west coast thing? Rains all the time and the only seat time is in front of a HDTV? We should ask Harry.......He'll say the "H" in HDTV stands for "Hydro".
pop.gif

Jeremiah,
That valve is toast. Wow! Bet that was knocking away. Anything look odd under the valve cover, valve springs, etc.?

I'm new here. I have a question about my newly acquired cub mod 86. I've busted a rod, well, it came that way, and I don't know how to go about finding parts. I also got a model 76 in the deal. The deal was, "get it out of my way and you can have em." I couldn't resist. The 76 seems to run fine but the 86 is dead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony,
WELCOME.gif

Click on those boxes at the top of your screen. All of them will sell you anything you need for your cub!!

Tony C., WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

The model 86 is an odd one with regards to the crank. The 8hp is smaller then the 10 and 12hp and is mounted rearward so that the drive shaft/clutch setup can use the same parts as the 108 and 109. Sooooo, to get the PTO in the proper position to clear the axle mount, IH went with a longer crank output stub on the 8hp 86. The connecting rod should be the normal 8hp rod.

Jeremiah:
"Lost compression"? That's like saying that the Titanic had a bit of water leak in..... I'm guessing the dents in the head were created during the last few revolutions as the engine was in it's death throes.... That valve is the crustiest thing I've ever seen... I don't know whether the valve seat'll "buff out" on that or not ...
roflol.gif

Ok Josh - I got the knock there, the H in HDTV, geez. If Charlie would let me know I'd be glad to try and find out what IH models he actually owns. Maybe he was trying to post to the Classifieds and was opening to swapping for a 46" HDTV.

Jeremiah - you know, I was reading your very polite posting about your "recent opportunity.. etc" and you mention the "former owner" informed you the engine lost compression. Did you open this engine up because you're considering being the "new owner"?
No one mentioned if the head appeared repairable or not (but it sure doesn't look to me like it could be) and the valve seat looks so bad I don't know if it's repairable but I'm assuming it could be fixed somehow. I think overall the valve and head look so bad it's just raised a lot of joking comments. Thanks for posting the pic and I'm hoping an engine expert will chime in with some reality of what really can be or needs to be or must be done to fix this engine. It's got to be quite unusual for this to have occurred.

Tony C - welcome to the best IH CC Forum on the internet. Having a broken rod in an 8hp Kohler engine in a Model 86 IHCC unit, generally means your engine will need a complete overhaul. If you're very very lucky the crank may not have to be ground, but with it's age you pretty much have to plan it will need to be, and most likely your cylinder will need to be bored. You may be better off trying to find another Kohler engine from an IH Cub Cadet. The 10hp and 12hp engines are quite common, and I think I just saw a 10hp listed in the classifieds on here. It does need to be the Kohler version made for a IH Cub Cadet. Almost none of the other versions of Kohler engines for the other brand garden tractors will fit - since Kohler used different block bases, output crankshaft dimensions, etc.
UNDER EDIT - Tony, I just checked the classifieds and you're the one that listed the 10hp Kohler for sale. What's the story here? Your pic of the engine didn't post because your post was the last one before the thread changed. Is your 10hp Kohler for an IH Cub Cadet?

Digger - I don't suppose that potential new member indicated whether his is medicinal or recreational use, did he? His HDTV might give him a clear picture but his brain is a might bit foggy. I'll bet his login was "Duuuude".

Tony c- I have to agree with Hydro, this is the very best IH Cub Cadet forum on the web! Now, that's funny you acquired a model 86 with a broken rod. I did too, just about three weeks ago! Well, I know the model 86 is rare, and some may think it's a collector because of it being just one of two wide frame eight horse garden tractors ever produced.

I think Hydro has a good idea for a re-power. I'm curious as to what the specks of the crank are in mine. I just landed myself a nice running Kohler K341A out of a model 169! Can you guess what my re-power is going to be for my 86?

John L - come on now. You landed a K341A out of a 169, and you talk about the 86 being rare. They only made 4005 of the 169's, which was the 2nd lowest production. Put that K341A back in the frame with the 169 serial tag, and bring it back to life again.

HDTV = Hydrostatic Drive Variable (speed) Transmission. Fancy's checked all models and has concluded that is must be a prototype.
289681.gif

Good morning!

Hydroharry- I have not had the chance to go through the K341A yet, but looking to do so a bit later this year. I would like to see what it needs, and go for a nice paint job. It don't have the starter generator, or air filter housing.... I'll be looking for those items too. The oil dip stick is a little bent,....retains it's original pto and starter pulley.

Thanks for the information, I did not know it was that rare of an engine ( WOW! ).

JEREMIAH - To answer your questions about the engine you showed pic's of....

#1 - It's border-line impossible for a flat head to bounce a valve off the head like that. The cam & lifters only move the valve so far, on a Kohler, about 3/8 inch, and the chamber over the valves is deeper than that. Something was loose in the combustion chamber and got smacked into the head several times also.

#2 - Hard to say what caused the damage so impossible to say how to prevent it from happening again.

An exh valve is a expendable wear part on these engines. The owner of the engine shop I use owned the off-topic tractor that the stretched exh. valve Dave Kirk posted a pic of came out of. Dave recommended that shop to me. I haven't been unhappy with ANYTHING they've done for me. The exh valve seat is the hardest piece of metal in the whole engine, I'm sure it's fine, or the seat actually IS replaceable. If there's no cracks around the spark plug hole the engine can be rebuilt and run as good as new. The exh. valve guide may need to be replaced, but that's actually fairly common.

Getting that engine running would be much less risky than an engine with a broken rod.

Dennis, I disagree. If the retainers have come loose a spinning cam hitting that valve stem would knock that valve clear out of the engine if the head wasnt on.

So it seems very reasonable that it would smash a valve as it free spun while dying.

NIC - Jeremiah didn't pull the breather cover off so we don't have all the info yet, but Yes, if both tapered valve keepers came out and the retainer wasn't under spring pressure anymore, the cam could pop the valve up a couple times while the engine spun to a stop.

Still doesn't explain the one picture where the exh valve head looks off-set in the valve seat. Would seem like the valve would have lifted right out of the guide with no keepers & retainer.

As docile as the Kohler cams are, I don't think the valve would go into orbit if it even left the valve guide. There's a reason why Kohler engines never float the valves with 42 pounds of open valve pressure from the springs

Hi I have a Cub Cadet 126 narrow frame that I recently bought. I am having issues with it missing and quitting after 7-10 minutes of mowing. I have taken the carburetor apart and cleaned it real good and it doesn't seem to help at all. What might be my problem? Thanks -Neil

Neil,

Could be a couple of things.

1. Easiest to try, leave the gas cap loose on the tank and try again. If it stays running, the small vent hole in the top of the cap is more than likely plugged. Clean out the hole, or possibly replace the cap. What is happening in this case is there is a "vacuum" on the tank because the fuel leaving is not replaced by incoming air.

2. Bad Coil and/or Condenser. Have seen this before, once the coil or condenser get "hot" from the engine running, they fail. Let the tractor cool down and it will run for awhile.

Hopefully, it is a plugged fuel cap vent, and it is the easiest and less expensive fix of the two.

Dennis, from Jeramiah:
"Thanks for the input, Jim. I took the side cover off, but failed to take a picture. Come to think of it, I don't think the spring was compressed, so the situation may be as you describe. I'll have to have the person on-site investigate further. Thanks again. "

He did take the side cover off... And it's at least a 50/50 shot its no longer retained.

Let's read completely... We're you distracted by what was playing on the 46" HDTV?

NIC - Whether Jeremiah DID or Didn't pull the breather cover makes NO DIFFERENCE because he still can't tell us for sure IF the retainer is secure on the exh valve or not. So until we find out that little tidbit of info this bickering back and forth is STUPID.

And you just never mind what's playing on my 60 inch high def. TV

Does anyone know if IH ever celebrated the production Cubs? I was looking at some pics of the 5 millionth 1066 tractor and it got me to thinking--"I wonder if there was ever a special 100,000th, 250,000th, or half a millionth special model made?" So...???
1a_scratchhead.gif
dunno.gif

Back