• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 18, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sarah K. Keep us posted on what you decide.
happy.gif

Has anyone put a narrow front end on their tractors? I have a 107 that I want to bring back to life (found another 10hp) and was thinking of doing that to it. I guess it would be something different.

beerchug.gif
Melody - with a Cub you're never alone. There's a kit available for just what you're proposing. Chime ins will come.
happy.gif

Melody, Paul Funk has built a couple narrow front custom Cub Cadets. He even has a website

Frank, yeah saw it on evilbay. Mr Plow, that is a great plow you built. People I know have put the narrow front ends on their green tractors, claimed they are a little tippy.

After a long list of issues, with my 1450, I have pulled the engine to replace the motor mounts, have the head heli coiled and rebuild the steering box. After looking at the rebuild kits, I determined that 125.00 could be better put to use for power steering. Using my 1864 and DX 22e has spoiled me, not that I need it by any means, but its an excuse to play with metal, hydraulics, and my cub.

I wanted to make this project as affordable and quick as possible. I'm going to try and keep it around 250.00 for the actual parts, but who knows, it could cost a thousand before its all said and done. Here are a list of objectives.

1. Fully functioning and tighter steering (end stop to end stop)
2. Does not interfere with attachments, i.e. mower, snow blower, saddle tanks.
3. Factory appeal, does not take away from looks of tractor
4. Wallet friendly

So far I am 1/3 through the project. The first hurdle was location of the steering cylinder (A QL hyd. lift cylinder). After pondering I located it between the frame rails under the tractor at approximately the same angle as the drag link from the axle to the steering box. I am mounting the cylinder ridged to the frame, and using an inline ball joint to attach the cylinder rod to the drag link.

I built the main cylinder bracket at an angle that catches both the RH frame rail and the 3/4" rod under the foot rests. I have ample room for hyd. filter replacement and room for the cooling fan (getting replaced). Only concern is the sub frame leveling arm from mower deck interfering with the bracket. Ill cross that bridge later.

Next I built an adapter plate for the 1/2" tie rod end that mounts to the spindle bracket. This little adapter merely places the tie rod in the same height position in relation to the axle as the smaller 3/8" tie rod end. It uses the existing tie rod 3/8" hole plus one additional 3/8" hole. Depending on how it all works out I may have to gusset the spindle bracket.

I hate drilling holes in original Cub iron, but I have only drilled 2, and do not plan to drill any more, let alone ones inhibiting future replacement of the original controls.

Currently I am waiting on the power steering column, and inline ball joint to show up before it can advance. To date, I have spent $198.25 on parts, and used scrap pieces of steel laying around the shop. The lift cylinder was one I had, and I'm using the original front axle, spindles, etc...
287035.jpg

287036.jpg

287037.jpg

287038.jpg

287039.jpg

Trent..Looks great so far! You've been a busy man doing and figuring all that out. Sometime when you have a few minutes email me some info on stacking the hydraulic valves on my 1864. Once again..nice looking work!

Latest posts

Back