• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 18, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abriar

displayname
Adam Briar
This is my 129 that I rebuilt and painted up as an IH 66 series clone. It is actually a 149 but I got it with no engine and I had a nice early '90s K301 12hp so it got rebadged as a 129. I'm currently restoring a 48" mower deck for it and plan to mow with it next year.

url]

url]

url]

Adam, nicely done!
greenthumb.gif
I like the hood stop, very good design. Looks like you have been quite busy with plenty of custom Cub mods. I spent some time looking through the other Cub Cadet related photos in your photobucket.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks guys. It was a lot of work but it was worth it in the end.

So many good idea's turned reality. Wish you was my neighbor. Your an awesome journeyman machinist and welder. Nice job...

Adam,

Very nicely done......those xx8/8's make great 1/4 scale 1066's!!!!!!

Again, nice work!

Needs one of these behind it.....

261823.jpg

Nice job on the tractor Adam! And a great idea on the deck. Where did you get the plates to mount the wheels? Something you created or purchased?

Thanks guys.

Steve, awesome plow. That would look great behind my Cub but I think I'd need a little more Hp and weight to pull it.

Mike, I made the gauge wheel mounts myself. Sawed them out of 1/4" plate.

Adam,

Excellent work.
thumbsup.gif
I've been thinking about a 128. Now I need to get one.

I rebuilt my articulated Cub Cadet (Artie) and replaced the hydrostatic drive with a gear drive. I had to use two gear shift levers since the drive shaft now goes right through where the gearshift used to be. My son published a video of the finished product here

I added a power steering pump off a 1986 Honda Civic for the steering. I like the operation better than the hydrostat but it was a lot more work.

Nice work Paul......and hey how you doing!
That's the dilema of a gear drive for a 4x4. Looks like gear changes are not "that bad".
There are ways around two shifters, but fairly complicated.
If I ever take on a 4x4 project again it will be similar to your Artie.

You ever get a video of the Original 4x4 made? Mike Masheris was asking me last week-end if I ever got it done, which made me think about it.

Rick, I'm doing well and loving retirement. My sons are after me to make a video of the 4 X 4 but I haven't come up with a good idea of what I want to do with it yet. And, I still have the undersized gearbox in it so I can't pull it too hard. I'm thinking about maybe doing something in the snow where I can have both the front and back spinning. Of course, that means waiting on snow and I'm in no hurry for that.

Quick question - Repower options. While I think I'd like to stick with rebuilding or finding decent used engines out of Cub Cadets to keep my fleet going, one thing I read little about is repower with a current engine, like a Kohler Command, Honda or a Briggs Vanguard.

Some of my other color tractors, Wheelhorse and Simplicity lend themselves fairly easily to a repower and a lot of folks do this.

I think there are many reasons folks repower. Some of the reasons is their admitted skill set and/or desire to tackle a rebuild isn't there, their tractors are working tractors and coupled with a busy schedule needs to work ASAP - it's repower or buy a new machine. Also it seems to me, especially in my neck of the woods, the machine shops that will take a small engine are almost non-existent and when you find one willing to consider a rebuild, it is apparent they don't have a clue about doing a Kohler block and there is risk in letting them do the work in the first place.

So if you are not going used engine or rebuild, but want to keep your tractor going and looking stock, less the engine, what is the barrier to repowering?

I can see that a twin clyinder on a narrow frame ain't likely going to fit and even on a QL, the covers would probably have to be removed.

Are there other barriers that make repowering with a new engine a problem, i.e. muffler placement, PTO/crank size issues, etc.

It looks like someone would have a bolt on kit for repowering the wide frame IHCC's (at minimum) one could buy - like with the other color tractors.

Just curious.

Opinions needed:

If I bought a 1872 and retro fitted the body if a 128 onto on it, giving it P/S, hydro lift, dual valves, dual brakes.
The parts tractor has no engine, so a 16hp might get the call.

what model number would you call it? A Super 169?

I love GD too, I have though about running an aux pump for the hydro parts and making it a Super 168.

Thoughts???

I've got a plan to put a dirt scoop on the front of my 1450, and I'd love any advice before I break something. What I have in mind is to weld a receiver hitch onto a front weight bracket. I have one of those battery powered Kolpin category 0 3-point hitches, so the plan is basically to stick that into the receiver. Any thoughts on whether the mounting points and front suspension will tolerate 200-300 pounds?

Sarah Kliethermes

I don`t think your front wheel bearings would last long with the weight of another 200 or 300 LBS . You would have to make the front end a lot heaver .
1a_scratchhead.gif

Sarah K. I agree with Donald T. on that. And after doing a Google Search... Koplin Cat O Hitch, I think that you'd be better off getting a Cat O hitch from XtremeMotorworks. Mount that on the back of your 1450. It's cheaper and would do amuch better job. Of course then you'd need some weights for the front hwoever they can be easily obtainable or made.

Thanks Marlin and Donald. I've had my eye on those extreme motorwork kits. I got the Kolpin so I could leave the belly mower on my farmall cub and still use attachments on the back - pretty slick for that! But I'd hate to tear up the 1650, I appreciate the warnings!

Back