• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 11, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcompton

displayname
Wyatt Compton
Bill-
If you've got a 3/4" wheel bearing, that usually fixes those right up.

Finally just got around to finishing the latest add to my 169's steering. I've had the Super Steer axle on for many years, but just rebuilt a steering box with a 3-turn steering gear and added a thrust bearing. I thought I'd be able to just pick up a 605 thrust bearing, but found a Timken that works almost just as well (its almost too big).

The tractor steers very nice (and will even better when I get rid of the lug tires), but through the process, it would have been almost easier in the long run to just put power steering on.
243031.jpg

243032.jpg

243033.jpg

Bil J., Kohlers only fire every other revolution so your tachs are recording half the actual rpm. Your engine is running 3900 rpms. I have a Craftsman dwell/tach that I put on 4 cyl. and set all my cubs to 900-950, which when multiplied by 4 puts them at 3600-3800 rpms.

So I got a little seat time with the 109 and was able to get the yard mowed without having to stop and fix anything...
biggrin.gif

The fixing took place before I began...
bash.gif

Replaced the idler pulley, put on a spindle belt that turned out to be 79 inches, not 77 inches. It promptly jumped off the left hand pulley and smoked/shredded. Went back to the basement and found a 78 inch belt - same luck with it as the 79 inch belt. Sooo, I look-up the right size belt and found it to be a 77 inch belt. Getting late in the evening, I called the local auto parts store and they had a "blue" belt that was 77 inches. So in a pinch, I bought it and that worked.

Prior to mowing, I set the deck to mow 3 inches height, which for my 109 was at it's highest position. Sometimes I mow with the other color tractors at 2.5 inches, but I'm thinking with the 10 hp engine, 3 inches w/44 inch deck would be a good compromise.

I also installed the speed-up pulley I had on hand.

I fired-up the 109 and it cut like a champ. Here's a pic of the finished product:

243041.jpg

243042.jpg

The speed-up pulley worked great - definately moving clippings further out the chute on the deck.

243043.jpg

I really couldn't tell that he speed-up pulley put a noticable drag on the engine. Most strain I would/could hear was the hydro pull going up an incline.

Here's what I was cutting:

243044.jpg

Had the 109 not performed, I would have had to call out the emergency lawn tractor...

243045.jpg

Luckly, that reliable machine stayed put and I got a great evening of seat time on my...

243046.jpg

greenthumb.gif

Bill J.-

It's my understanding the K 241A is corrrect for the 109. The "Q" actually refers to quietline series. Most quietlines have AQS following the engine model. The "S" refers to having a starter (instead of a S/G).

Nice going with the 109. I really miss mine since the engine got tired last year. It's on the bench now and should be ready by next spring or before...can't wait!

If the engine in the 109 is original to the tractor, you will find that the engine is a K241AS. From the Kohler engine manual, the
A= Special Oil Pan,
S= Electric start(including S/G)
Q= Quiet Model (engines, not tractors,with enclosed muffler)

G'morning, All.
wave.gif
I didn't get on the computer last night due to being just too danged tired. I finally got the new muffler on the 4x4 Dakota yesterday. I had to take a break and mow the neighbor's lawn with the 125. The rain we received really let the grass grow. So, in order for me to be able to fininsh the muffler installation Angel called a young friend of ours and he gladly mowed out lawn. He also helped a little putting the mufler tailpipe on. Poor guy had just come back from camping at the State Fair so he, too was tired when we all got done.

A quick update... I'm hanging in there for now. Just can't seem to find a good combination of pain relief medicine that doesn't cause side effects that wreak havoc with the rest of me. So, rather than hurry with things it is steady... not slow... just steady.
happy.gif

Since Rick wanted some pictures. Last fall, I was blessed with being able to get hydrualic lift on the 125. The big O-ring leaks so the pump kept settling faster than I could keep it up. So, this spring after mowing once with the little fella and noticing that the lift bracket for the deck is also sprung, I removed the hydrualic lift and once again installed the manual lift. Now that the Forest City, Iowa Plow Day is approaching I wish that i could have afforded to fix the lift since I want to plow with the 125 again.

125 before with the manual lift.
243070.jpg

125 with hydrulic lift. Man lifting that snowthrower the one time I had to use it last winter was nice and easy.
243071.jpg

I need to get rid of those awful wide front tires. They make steering so much harder.

Maybe I'm just getting old.. or maybe I'm just cranky today?? I wanted to poke around and check-out the parts look-up up above and no matter what I try. I just cannot figure out how to make it display parts for any of my tractors.. So instead of sitting here and continually cursing a blue streak any longer..
angry.gif
censored.gif
bash.gif

I'll hang my head and ask for help.
a_weep.gif

To add to what Paul said the 241 breaks down to
24 cubic inchs and 1 cylinder

Hi Mike....just tried it...worked OK for me...once you have your model selected, you need to select the assy to the right ...that will list all the categories.....hope you figure it out

Paul-

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't remember what the A stood for. I also thought I've read (somewhere) that the S refered to just the geared starter.

Bill J.-

What he said.

I have had success with 44C mower tension pulley arm sholder bolt removal project. I suspect this bolt has been seized in place ever since I've had it and likely many years before. Wish I had known the bolt treads were taking all the movemnet instead of the sholder. I have the original manual for the mower deck and there is no mention of lubricating this bolt. I hope the replacemnet bolt with built in grease nipple is the same diameter. Looks like I will now need to do a bit of repair work to the enlarged deck hole. I need more practice with the mig welder anyway.

I find lot's of online places to order cub parts but would appreicate some suggestions. Looks like cubcadet.com at the link on top of this page is a reliable source or you guys wouldn't have it there.

Thanks for all the help.
Dexter

243080.jpg

243081.jpg

243082.jpg

Dexter, all the sites above have proven themselves over the years. You'll get fair prices on guaranteed products, plus they will help you on the phone if necessary, to get the proper product.
<font size="-1">PS: The advertisers also chip in a few bucks the keep this site running for free to the rest of us !</font>
thumbsup.gif

Allen,
Thanks for assuring me those links are reputable. I'll certainly use them for my Cub part needs. The make shift press would have been easy to use if the jack would work laying on it side like shown. It took several tires to keep it all together vertically while operating the jack lever. It sure took a lot of pressure and I thought it wasn't going to work when I saw the top plate starting to bend. Then all of a sudden there was a pop and the bolt was free. I've been tempted to buy a cheap manual press several times but I know it would be use so seldom and would sit taking up more valuable space in my shop.

I just finished pressure washing the deck. I figured while it was out of service waiting on parts I would patch a few rusty holes and give it a coat of paint. I was disappointed to find there are several cracks in the deck which needs repairing. It's good though that showed up before it got worse.

Dexter

Charlie, I'm fairly sure I know why your email to me bounced. I had registered on this site several years ago with an att.net address. I had to drop that provider due to a network reconfiguration. When I tried to log in a few days ago I couldn't so I assumed the problem was due to the old account. I tried to register using the new address but I got a response that the username was in use. So I logged in guessing at what to original password may be and got real lucky. I have just now noticed in my profile the old email address was listed so I have changed it to the current address. Try a resend to verify I now have it correct.
Dexter

Wife & I stopped in at a small outdoor flea market/yard sale/junk sale this morning. Not a lot of things there really, but did come home with this

243090.jpg

It was a nice morning to be outside walking around. Now I have to clean up the garage even more to find a place to hang this!

"once you have your model selected, you need to select the assy to the right ...that will list all the categories.....hope you figure it out"

Thanks for the reply Rick! Out of curiousity.. what did you type in for a model? I would like to see if I can duplicate at least one search! LOL..

I was wondering if anyone reading this has the equipment or knows somone / somewhere to send my clutch plates to have them resurfaced & trued up? I've got 2 sets I would like to get done. thanks

Latest posts

Back