• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 08, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've owned my 782 for 10 years now. Originally it was my grandfathers who purchased it new at our local IH dealer. He purchased a new 3235 Cub in 2000 (from the same IH dealer) and gave me this as a gift when I bought my house. He passed away last fall and I decided to give it a good tune up to remember the good times we had with this mower.

I tore it down last fall. But with the demands of work...I wasn't able to dedicate the time necessary to finish the job until just now. I've been mowing all summer using my neighbors mower...a Cub RTZ 54" zero turn. And I must say...I'm so glad I've got the 782 back in service. The quality of cut is far superior to the ZTR. For some reason...it just looks smoother and well groomed.

I replaced the belts, drive disk couplers, Hytran, filter, hydro springs, points, coil, mule pulleys, wheel bearings, charge pump seal and bearing and a host of other small items. All I need now are some diamond tread floor board inserts as the rubber ones were worn out. The KT17 Series II runs tops and is in perfect time even with 1847 hours on the clock. I used all the manuals I bought from a vendor on this site. Couldn't be happier.

If Cub Cadet wanted to do something special for their 50th...they'd re-release the 782 in an anniversary edition. Red. 500 units only.
happy.gif
195212.jpg

I bought the 128 I was looking at. I am picking it up in a couple weeks.

This is a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer. Is there a difference in the wide and narrow frame attachments other than the mounting assembly? The 38, 44 and 50 decks all seem to be the same.

The snow blowers seem the same way too. I think the QA36 would be the best choice for this tractor. I would think the 42 would be a little big for the 12 HP. I live in Northern Michigan, so the snow would be light and fluffy. I have a big 2 stage walk behind blower for the heavy stuff.

I now have something to occupy my free time. Let the fun and spending begin!

I appreciate all your help.

Did 782s come with wheel covers as standard equip? I thought they did but have seen some lately without them. I have one coming up at auction the 14th and will be there to see if a good deal could be had. JH

WAYNE, FRANK C. - Header flanges to use those two 3/8" tapped holes are available, but I made one from a scrap of 1/4" thk steel plate for the straight pipe on my K321 in the 72. Not hard at all to make them. There's even a gasket included in the complete Kohler gasket kit to seal the exh. port.

I've never had the face of the exh. port fracture off like that but I think with a little "Careful Grinding" you should be able to smooth the surface down enough to get the flange to seal. I really wouldn't try to use the pipe threads again. Chase the 3/8" threads with a tap of course, and lots of oil.

I suspect the cause of the fracture was the weight of the unsupported pipe hanging on those outermost 2-3 threads.

Todd I welcome to cubs,

I cant comment on the difference between narrow and wide I only own wide frames but as far as the snow thrower 12 hp will run both the qa36 and 42 how ever my qa36 ran better than my 42 but the 42 made a path as wide as the tractor.

But if your 128 does not have a creeper gear snow blowing will be a PITA due to speed of tractor and speed of pto. A hydro would be the better choice.

Todd I., WELCOME!
wave.gif
groupwave.gif
wave.gif

Jerry H., yes, the 782 came standard with hub caps.

Neil, your 782 is a beauty!

Todd I.-

You need a QA-36A or QA-42A. 12 hp is enough for a 42" thrower, but if you want to move snow with a gear drive...get a blade. I had a snowthrower on a gear drive once (128, in fact) and it was not any fun compared to having it on a hydro.

i traded for a kohler magnum 18 v twin engine to put on my 102, i pulled the flywheel off and all the magnets are off flywheel, what kind of epoxy or glue would hold them on?

Peter: I think you're going to find you're going to need the whole new/used flywheel. Something about the polarity of the magnets on the flywheel. If they didn't wipe out your stator, you're lucky.
construction.gif

Dennis-

Could you post a pic of your exhaust port fix? This engine has ample compression and isn't suppose to smoke at all so I really need a fix here. One of the 3/8" holes broke off with the other flake. You can see it in my pic I posted. I don't have a clue as to how I could get that hole tapped and cleaned out enough to use. I'm also wondering if a good machine shop could resurface the port.

Thanks.....Wayne

Latest posts

Back