• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 05, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoleman

displayname
Glen M. Coleman
Lucas, I'd try a gentle persuasion with a three jaw gear puller with a piece of scrap belt in the pulleys entire circumference to avoid screwing the pulley halves up too bad. Of course use Charlies remedy to everything, send it for a swim in Aerokroil or PB Blaster (both are AWESOME for loosening stubborn parts)

Also, ive discovered simple green has amazing rust removal ability, a friend of mine and i were working on the cub a while back de-gunkifying some parts, he said eff it and sprayed it on my stubborn deck spindle nuts, after a few minutes, came loose amazingly easy! who knew?
1a_scratchhead.gif

... and a buddy of mine waste perfectly good beer spitting on rusted bolts ...

did that work Ken? Dont imagine thats a fair treatment for good beer
beerchug.gif

Charlie, Glen, thanks for the info.

I know it is a little early but how well will tire chains work with ag tires, I have a set of 23x9.50 turfs I could use on my 122 this winter with chains or I could get chains for my ags instead if they would work better?

Keith C. Adams (Kadams)

My 38" deck 38 1-U 1114 has those same spacers,and they are under the QA pins.No zerk on the idler arm though.I have the zerks on my 108's front wheel spindles,dealer installed????

Don R.
Head over to the CCC and MTD Machines & Equipment section and I'll bet you can get an answer faster.
bubbly.gif

Glen, glad I could help. I think either tire would look good on your tractor. good work man.

CHARLIE, LUCAS - Not sure tha 2-link chains & turfs work 100 times better than ag's & chains.... I'd say it's more like five to twenty times better. Depends on ground cnditions, style of chains, etc.

I run chains on my big tractors and of course they have lugged ag tires. Couple years ago SON tried to move 3-4 inches of wet heavy snow with my Super H without chains from my concrete driveway. He couldn't even get UP the slope of the driveway. I came home, put the chains on, then I could push snow up that same slope over the places where he spun out and slid down the slope.

KEN - I never tried BEER for removing rust and loosening rusty bolts/nuts, but many people say COKE dissolves rust really well.

Dennis Frisk
I have to disagree with you on the chains issue. With ag tires his chain will not get much surface area contact.just a small area where the chain goes over the lug,but with turfs and 2 links the chain area contact area is much greater and would give much better traction.I have found out that even 2 link chain on a paved drive can make some nasty marks that will be seen when the snow leaves.
a_weep.gif
228515.gif
228516.gif

Dennis F.
We're talkin GT's here, remember?
I guess I was talking figuratively, BUT, I'll stand behind that number until someone says otherwise! LOL

I've tried chains with ags and turfs on many different Cubs, and the turfs/chains are better in snow than dirt.

Now if we could carry an extra 1000 pounds on our Cubs, chains would be a mute point.
biggrin.gif

I just took ag tires with chains off my 147 and went back to turfs and chains, I agree they are much better than ags.

DON - Yep, I get scratches on my concrete drive, but what you gonna do? They wear away and fade eventually. On sealed blacktop you would have to re-seal it.

CHARLIE - My little old letter-series FARMALL's only have about as much HP as the new lawn tractors sold @ Home Depot, they just weight TEN times as much.

SON & I put 900# of weight on the back of the '51 M and to be honest, without chains it didn't make a darn bit of difference. I don't think 2000# would make it's rubber tires grip concrete. SON & I moved snow two years ago on Christmas day before we had Christmas dinner. The M wouldn't move ANYTHING on concrete. It would move a little snow on the grass until it spun a tire and then it was helpless on the bare frozen dirt.

Both sets of chains for the big tractors are 2-link chains, in fact, ALL my chains are 2-link, the ones for the 6-12 turfs on the 70 & the 23-8.50 'Stones on the 72. they still have cross chains over the lugs and they do grip really well where they cross, LOTS of surface pressure, but they do wear the chains faster, especially if they spin a bit. With the cost of chains, I think that alone is worth putting chains on turf's instead of lugged tires.

Last summer I did a LOT of heavy grading with the 70 & belly blade. I had chains on the 6-12 GY turfs all summer. I tried just the plain turf tires and it was worthless, put the chains on and I could move some dirt.

I think if you were on loose crushed rock, if there IS such a thing in winter with snow with tire tracks in it, a lugged tire would be better than a turf tire, the lugs could get a bite on the rock, but chains on either tire would still grip MUCH better.

If I could find a set of almost BALD tires for either big tractor, something already on rims and/or wheels, I'd try chains on a smooth tire for a winter.

Donald R. Welcome back... Now as Charlie said earlier. Go to the MTD Section of this site. I started a thread there for you. Just CLICK HERE.
228521.gif

Well, I foung the number to my Cub. The serial number is 120737. Can anyone tell me the year and model? From the chart I've seen it's either a 70 or 100. How can I tell for sure. It has a Kohler K241AS for engine.
Thanks all!

When we first moved up here, I thought this is gonna be a piece of cake as I drove the 1450 out of the trailer for the first time,
228527.jpg

The first snow came and I thought, yea I can handle this,
228528.jpg

Then the 2nd one came and I had to give the ole Cub a little help to get started,
228529.jpg

It took some doing, but the ole girl did her job,
228530.jpg

228531.jpg

But like all things up here, you eventually have to upgrade!
228532.jpg

Robert, the only real difference between a 70 and a 100 is the size of the engine you have a 10 horse = 100. Your serial number comes up may of 65. "under edit, it's early"

Latest posts

Back