• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 04, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott; Sounds like you have A head gasket blown. Sponsors above will have everything you need to fix it. Pull the head off and check it for damage before you order parts. You may need a head. The sponsors have them to. You will need a manual if you don't have one.Go to FAQ and download it for free.

Keith L,
I have a Black & Decker that a friend gave me.
I used it for over 10 yrs and finally it gave up.
I then went and got a new Dewalt. A buddy of mine had a coupon for Lowes and I got it for around $60. I also shipped the old one back to B&D/Dewalt and for $40 they rebuilt it. I haven't tried any of the cheapies. I figure as much as I use those grinders, I was money ahead to buy a better one.

I need help removing the speed lever below the steering wheel on my 105. I see where there was a set screw, however I don't see one in there and I cannot pull the lever off the colum... I don't want to break anything as this is my first mechanical project... Thank you everyone for your help... This has been really fun so far and you all are a wealth of knowledge for a meat head like me...

Kevin

Kevin, sometimes you can loosen them up by first tapping them on. Do this carefully and be sure to protect the finish on the lever with a piece of leather (a leather work glove works good for this) so the hammer doesn't chip the chrome. If that doesn't work you may have to do it the way Scott T. did, his post is two pages back on the July 31, 2008 archive.

Luther: thanks for the info. I downloaded the Kohler manual. Sounds pretty simple, but I've been fooled before. I have intermediate mechanical skills. On a scale of 1-5 (1 being easiest, 5 being hardest), how would you rate head gasket replacement? Trying to decide whether to do it myself or hire it done.

Scott R., it should be a simple process, you'll need a torque wrench to get the head bolts to the proper torque or you'll end up with a blown head gasket (again?). The worst thing is if one of the bolts breaks off in the block when you are taking the head off. Is this a new to you Cub with this symptom or is it your Cub that was running fine then suddenly developed this symptom? Can you tell if the "exhaust" is coming from around the head or is it coming from the breather? The breather is just behind and below the carb. If it is smoke coming out of the breather it is most likely NOT a blown head gasket but is rather like Richard suggested, stuck rings or worn rings. Check for oil running out from around the head, that is another indication of a blown head gasket.

Thanks for the info, I will try the hammer and glove trick. The reason why I am taking them off is to get to the wiring harness under the battery plate as this all seems to be one piece, I am running a new wiring harness. If you know of a better way to get the harness our, please let me know...Thanks again everyone.

Richard T...now you know there are no Cubs in Florida...slim picken's so when you get one, it's like winning the lottery !!
bouncy.gif

What in the world you doing in Broward County...thought you just lived up the road some....

Going to tinker with the 149 some today...it need some TLC for sure.

Rick

Kraig: It is a new to me Cub. The smoke is coming out of the breather. There is some damp "seepage" around the head, there's not enough there to tell what it is. Started doing this after I mowed a field with very high grass on a very hot day. If it's rings it's a more involved job isn't it?

Scott, yes if it's rings it's lots more involved! Seeing that it's a new to you Cub, it is entirely possible that the previous owner installed the breather incorrectly. Which could cause it to leak oil and smoke when the engines other "innards" are OK. I know that on the 7hp K161, and I would assume it's the same on the K181 (I think it might even be the same block) it's all too easy to get the breather in wrong. Or it could be a broken ring. I'm not certain on describing how the K181 breather is correctly installed but I know that there are other's here that do.

Art, I know you know the correct installation, TAG, you're it....

Denny, I know you know too, so TAG, you're it too....

But then I could be wrong. How's that for confidence.
blush.gif

Pull the head Scott there is a wealth of knowledge under that piece of metal. AND whatever you do use the torque wrench to put it back together.

Remember also the harder they work on a really hot day a few of those old guys will use a little oil compared to a normal cooler day.

Pops my 2 cents-------------
old.gif

I'm feeling lazy, today, so I'll just ask a question that I'm sure has been answered before, or I could do a search on. Exchanging rear wheel lug bolts for lug nuts/bolts. 7/16" fine thread bolts about 1-1/2" long and lug nuts to fit? I know it's been discussed, but I wasn't paying attention because it just dawned on me yesterday that besides making it easier to change rear wheels (like how often does that happen) it would make it a lot easier to keep a spare set of wheels/tires and change from turfs to ags, or vice reverse. Whatever, just building posts, I guess.
asthanos.gif

Frank: I changed mine because I mow, pull on asphalt, and dirt pulls makes it a lot simpler for changing all my tires. Went to the local (homegrown) tire dealer and just got all I needed out of his bolt bin.

Pops
old.gif

There are other CC owners in FL, but we keep a low profile! You never heard me say that....

Frank, I see most people use bolts but why not use regular wheel studs like on a car ? That's the way I want to go.

Scott Replacing a head gasket is a 1. If there is other problems then it could be a 5. Search the archives and do some reading first.
Luther

But Brenden, Ol' boy, wouldn't studs have to be tack welded to the back of the axle hub?
dunno.gif

Latest posts

Back