• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 28, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard P:
So it's two specific tractors - how about telling us what they are, it might help get more answers...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Is it just me, or do the lower outside corners of the rear fenders on the Original that Tom posted photos of, look too squared off?
1a_scratchhead.gif
Tom do you have a high resolution version of that photo?

150704.jpg

here is James Taylor(owner) on a tractor that his cousin Gary Taylor made and had at plow day one(what year was that Mr Plow?), remember that one? how time flies? Great sign on a great cart.

Ahhhhh the Sycamore Show. I can smell the coal soot from the steamers already.

Brad, I remember that tractor from PD1! IIRC PD1 was on March 31st in 2001.

Kraig:
Lower, outer front edge?? Here's a couple of pics from the O Fender installation manual..
150708.jpg

150709.jpg

That top picture shows that lower edge to be pretty severly cut...
Also - from the date of the picture Tom posted, that could be a pre-production model..

Kendell, that's why I asked. Look at the photo of Bryan's Original at the top of the page.... The fender corner is clipped at about 45 degrees, as are the fenders on my Original.

Kendell Ide,

One is the 129; sub frame, mule drive and deck. The other is the 104; sub frame, mule drive and deck. The deck from the 129 looks the prettiest. The one for the 104 looks and feels like it is a cast deck but needs repainting.

I also have a haunting feeling.... Seems to me I recall telling the PO I was going to use the 104 for snow plowing and if my swiss cheese brain is right, he said "Oh so you won't need the pto". I picked these up in January and when I got them home I got the 104 running and told myself either something is gonna squeal or brake and lowered the deck on the 104 and engaged the pto. Nothing.

It should be nice today and I'll man handle these decks into the yard see what's what as a sub frame match install either one on the 104 after removing the blade (another piece that ain't too light) and get religious and pray to God it works.
coffee.gif
old.gif

my swiss cheese brain is right...

Man I just remembered I got get a couple of carb parts delivered and install the carb on the 104.
bash.gif
rofl.gif
explotar2jr.gif

Kraig:
Like the one from this 100 ....
Are O fenders and 100 fenders interchangeable?
150715.jpg

And does anyone have the answer to Richard's deck interchange question??

Richard, any chance you could post photos of your two decks? IF you have a 42" (or even a 38") deck and a 44" deck you should be able to use either on the 129 but I believe only the 42" (and 38") deck will work on the 104. The 38" and 42" decks are kind of shaped like a triangle with the points squared off, the 44" decks are more of an oval shape with rounded ends. Here are some photos to help you ID what you have.

First up are two photos of a 42" deck, the 38" deck looks pretty much the same.

150717.jpg

150718.jpg

Next we have two photos of a 44" deck (actually the photo from the manual is a 50" deck but the 44" and 50" decks looks the same).

150719.jpg

150720.jpg

Kraig, Kendell,
The picture of the "O" with the squared fender corners that Tom posted, is thought to be S/N 411 that later belonged to Harold Schramm. Although numbered 411, it is older than 409 and the other Louisville prototypes, and thought to be a Hinsdale built engineering prototype. The 4XX numbers were stamped into the gear reduction housings when the Engineering Center was through with them and as they were sold to employee's. There is documentation that 411 was sold after the 10 Louisville proto's, hence the higher number.

Kendell,
No the "O" and 70/100 fenders are not interchangable, the inner skirt is different.

Kendell, NO, the Original fenders are unique and will not interchange with 70/100 fenders, at least not without doing some drilling. The Original uses that mounting pan between the fenders to mount to the transmission. The 70/100 uses angle brackets that mount to the frame and strap brackets that mount to the axle. Here's a photo of my Original fenders.

150722.jpg

Paul, thanks for the info on that Original that Tom posted a photo of. Now I have to go look for a photo of Harold's Original (I know I have some) to look at the fenders....

Found 'em! Photos taken by Jim Chabot.

Harold and his Cub #411. Sadly Harold is no longer with us.

150724.jpg

150725.jpg

150726.jpg

Paul, didn't Jim Chabot buy Harold's Cub shortly before Harold passed away?
dunno.gif

TOM H. - Neighbors can't say too much about noise a time or two a year. The closest ones live closer to the farm behind us than We do and We listen to the combine run in the fall till about Midnight. Best night was when the 3588 2+2 was chisel plowing years ago....the DT-466 was straight-piped. Unfortunately the whole farm is only 80-100 acres and He got done and left about 1 AM.

BRENDAN - Before I'd mess around recycling old batteries or car tire balance weights to make lead weights I'd look for some sort of local steel fabrication shop, or a scrap yard, or a steel service center or warehouse and see if You can find some sort of steel shapes for weight. ANY FREE steel or iron from their scrap hopper will add weight. Even if they charge You scrap price to raid their hopper last I knew that was 2-1/2 Cents a pound. That makes a 26# IH CC weight worth 65 CENTS!!!.

Kendell and Kraig Thats what I have. The one from the 129 has rounded ?hand grips? like in the top photo. I'm probably shooting for the moon but I'd love to get the 44-50" for the 104 to look like the last picture. Thanks guys! - Peace -

Richard, are you saying that your 129 has the squared off triangle shaped deck with the yellow belt guards and your 104 has the all white rounded deck? If so, that's backwards!
1a_scratchhead.gif
Also, what you refer to as "hand grips" are actually called runners, they are supposed to help guide the deck over the ground. However they do work well as hand grips when handling the mower decks when they are not mounted.
happy.gif

<font size="-2">BTW, edit your tag line, I do believe you have a grammatical error as in "...the the...", I assume that you meant "...of the..."???</font>
dunno.gif

Kraig
Jim bought 411 after Harold passed away. The picture of Harold on the tractor was taken at RPRU in Mt Pleasant, Iowa as he was on the way to his truck on Saturday afternoon to load it, and leave. He flew to Delaware on Sunday to attend a conference starting on Monday, and passed away Sunday night/Monday morning. Jim and I had two days of some quality "early Cub Cadet" time with him.

There are some casting flaws in the grill of 411, that are visable in some of the early IH Cub Cadet prototype pictures, that identify it as the tractor in the pictures.

Back