• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 18, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to confirm - the Heim joint style tie rod ends I used are all right hand thread. Terry Busch steered us towards using the ones with the integrated stud, as (he pointed out) if you use a standard Heim joint with a thru bolt, you'll end up with restricted rotation of the joints on the drag link. There are several styles listed in the McMaster-Carr catalog, the ones I chose use a bronze liner, but are not shielded - I'd like to see a booted version, but I'm betting these will last quite a while. I was surprised at how badly the oem style tie rod ends were binding from lack of lubrication when I changed them out. BTW - if you go to them, you'll have to change the nuts on the studs to Nylocks (3/8 24) as the integrated studs are not cross drilled for the castellated oem nuts.
Gotta run - working on reseeding the yard after the big barn construction last year - 129's gonna get a workout.. KKen I'll drop ya a line later..

99 MORE DAYS !!!!

And KentucK, you're right, normally a drag link or tie rod assembly would be RH/LH ... to adjust the length on the Cub tie rods or drag link, you gotta drop one end off the steering arm or spindle, adjust the length and then put it back on.. and note that the replacements we've been talking about do have longer internal threads, so make sure you measure overall length of the tie rod before you take the old ends off, or you'll have to take it into the front end shop for an alignment...
thumbsup.gif

On heim joints, even the cheaper ones will last a L-O-N-G time. I put plastic lined heims on My 72 about 1984 or 1985...still no looseness in any of them. And I use it in REAL dusty conditions, snow blowing...etc.

I went visiting after my last post and I figured I'd have 2 pages of catching up to do when I got home... only 10 post if ya count Digger's.

Lip - I wish I'd had it video taped when I took an 8 pound sledge to a winderz 95 'puter in the shop , you'd like that.

Well I spotted a 782 down the road about a week ago parked at a store ... didn't see it today. That's only the second red one I've seen here. I think it might have been somebody from a near by house just riding it over to the store. I'm gonna keep an eye out for it though!

"make sure you measure overall length of the tie rod" in my last post means from stud center to stud center, not end to end (the OD of the Heim ends are bigger, so overall end to end would be lon..... mumble, mumble).... you guys know what I mean.
err.gif

Had a good Cub day today! I brought home a 109 in decent shape; owner says it runs. Also made a deal on a 682 in real nice shape...not running currently but sounds like a tuneup problem. I will pick that one up next week. (My wife doesn't like it when I bring them home 2 at a time). Gave a U.S. Grant for each one.

This is my first red tractor and I don't know much about them. I do know they came in yellow also and I'm thinking the IH built ones were red. This one looks like it's all original and all there except the grill. Nice paint too. I'm not sure what engine is standard in the 682? Any info would be appreciated!

Got home after dark, so pics will have to wait 'til tomorrow.

I'm getting my tiller ready to go on my 782 and think I better check grease/lube in the 90 degree gearbox that converts the bottom pulley to a side pulley. (Sorry - I don't know all the proper terms.) My question: Is there any specific lube/grease (lithium, multipurpose, etc) that I should use? I know it's not as important as using Hy-Tran in my hydro, but I still want to "do no harm". Thoughts?
dunno.gif

Thanks, Charlie. I checked the FAQ at the top of this page, but completely missed the Cubfaq.com link - I guess the eyes are gettin' old. Sadly, eyesight's not the first thing to go...

jawdrop.gif

Kendell,

Thanks for the confirmation on the RH shanks and the advice on getting nylocks too. The order for both items has been placed!
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back