• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 06, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klejeune

displayname
Keith LeJeune
Jim C,
I went overboard when replacing the engine ground on my 1450. I ran one from the battery to fender pan and then from battery all the way to the starter mount. I also ran one from the starter mount to the frame. Took care of the cooked choke cable I had.

Charlie - I thought you where the one that was old and senile here and not Tom!!! Got my package from ya today and you should be getting a snail mail from me in a day or so, thanks for the fast shipment so I can get the 1450 ready for tiller duty this year.

morning guys i just got a 1650 from the original owner it needs some work but its pretty nice i get to pic it up next week he has to get it out of his shed an get all the parts for me he has i got a new belt for the deck a book of all the matenice records an all the books an weel weights i cant wait to pick it up

Steve: I have a 1650 (Gus) that is the work horse around my family. Family you say: well ever since I have bought it one or another of the kids has used it for whatever season it is needed for.

Right now it is home getting serviced and ready to go for mowing season at my youngest daughters house. Every time I think about restoring it somebody needs it. I too bought it from an orginal owner except for rattling my teeth it is one heck of a Cub!!

Pops

i really like that style i wanted one in the worst way but didnt want to pay an arm an a leg for it i was lucky to find this one a 1650 16 hp for 150 i jumped on it then i think my collection will be complete just need to start restoring them have to finsh my spirt of 76 first thoe my hunny really likes that one

Kendell Ide (Kide) glad to see you had a safe trip. i was in Florida 2 years ago and loved the beaches but hated being the youngest on the beach!
yikes.gif
.My 129 loader rebuild is moving along ,i just have the white to paint and then put the Cub back together,so the 129 is my first Cub that i have redone. i think this Cub will be around for a long time before needing another repaint.Off to town to get some fuel line. Later Don T
old.gif

JIM C: The trick with that wide frame ground problem is that IH asttached the end of the ground strap to the frame as close as possible (shorter cable was cheaper) which was through the fender pan. That was OK then, but after 35/40 years enormous corrosion resistance builds up there and basically kills the gound circuit through the frame. The fender pan is getting the ground path and routing it through your cables. Get a slightly longer NEW ground cable (called starter cables at AutoZone and other auto parts stores) and move the chassis connection point to a place on the frame not involving the fender pan. Make sure you clean the frame spot shiny metal clean for good metal-to-metal contact, coat with Di-Electric grease and bolt it up. That's what I do to solve that problem on my wide frames. I also like to run a 12/14 gauge ground wire from the Voltage Regulator ground foot (you know, the foot with the little ole twisted wire goin to it) around the back of the battery box and directly to the ground post of the battery. This gets around any fender pan ground corrosion problem with the V/R. Had one once that drove me nuts till I did that. Now I do'em all. Like Keith L said, the ground strap up front from the frame to the engine is also a good idea. It ensures a good frame ground circuit to the alt/starter (if a QL) or S/G on the others...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Anyone have the instructions for installing a sleeve hitch on a 782? I pretty much know what to do but it would be nice to have the instructions on hand. I've looked around and couldn't find one for 782.

Jerry B,
Have you plowed yet? I was gonna call last Saturday, but won tickets to see the Lippazaner Stallions so we took Rowden to see them. Ate up the whole day.

This Saturday is the tractor parts swap meet at the Steam-o-rama fairgrounds. I'll wander over there early and see what's up. Should be a decent day if you're wanting to try and plow. If it's dry enough yet. I brought the 1450 home from work to get ready to mow with so I can bring it out and help plow. Just give me a call later.

You gotta get that 100 done for the Adrian show Randy was talking about. Since it's featuring IH equipment, you need to bring the Cubs up there. I'm pretty sure we're going. Maybe even head up on Friday to get another day out of it.
<font size="+1"><font color="ff0000">They've got great strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream.....</font></font>
I thought that might get your attention, hehe

Jesse M,
The blades have a lock on them you can engage so they don't trip when grading dirt.

Jason Davis...Thanks for the location of the S/G manual...problem is that I already have that printed, but the resolution is so poor, I need a translator to read it ! Was hopeing to get to an origional version that was more 'vision friendly'
dizzy.gif

I have a 1650 that is running great when you get it started, but I have to bump the engine by turn the key on and off 4-9 times to get it to turn over. little white smoke when started no smoke while running Any Ideas thanks

I have come across a nice running 1450 K321 engine that I would like to use to replace my worn out 127 K301 engine. Other than notching/bracing the frame, what else do I need to do to do this? Can I setup the 1450 K321 to use a SG?

Thanks

Chris

Hay guys just wondering i have a 125-cc so far i love it. but i don't see many of you with 125s is there a reason for this. you wont hart my feelings so give it to me strait. I also would like to ad to my small fleet a gear drive cub to pull and play with. which one should i look for?
1a_scratchhead.gif
}

MIKE- go with the gear to play with. hydros make work eazier but i dont think that they are as strong as gear. i should ask the pullers which they perfer. i think anything IH cub cadet is the best!!!!!!!!!!

Chris C,

It would depend whether or not the K321AQS engine has the appropriate mounting pad and holes for installing the S/G mounting bracket and tensioner arm. You would have to remove the bendix starter. The S/G basket pulley and PTO on the front should work fine as long as the crankshaft diameter and length is the same. You would also need to check the engine-to-frame bolt locations as the Quietline models had iso-mount rails for mounting the engine. I'm sure ohers on the forum will know more details.

Justin K,

We need some clarification on your problem in order to help you. When you say you have "to bump the engine by turn the key on and off 4-9 times to get it to turn over" do you mean you have to do this to get the starter to spin at all? Or does the starter spin each time you turn the key to the start position but just not engage the engine?

If the former is the case the you have a loose/bad connection in your starter circuit somewhere. It could be at your key switch, the electric PTO switch or the starter solenoid contacts are getting bad and not always making contact. Sometimes over the years dirt and moisture accumulate and cause the terminals to rust which can cause intermittant operation. First make sure you battery is fully charged as weak battery sometimes will cause starting problems. Remove the fuel tank to gain access to the steering tower. Pull the wire connectors off the switches and inspect the terminal posts for rust and clean them up as required to ensure good contact. (Note: sometimes I have had terminal posts actually come off while doing this because they were rusted so much).

If your problem is the latter and you have to hit the switch multiple times to get the bendix to engage the ring gear on your flywheel, then you need to follow part of FAQ #77 and remove your starter, clean and lubicate the bendix with a dry lubicant. Hope this helps.

Mike M,

The 1X4/5 series had one of the shortest production runs, ~20 months, compared to other models for whatever reason so there were fewer units produced (~88,000 units) which may be one major reason why they are harder to find. Additionally, the 125 was the top of line model in that series at that time and the most expensive so that could have limited production numbers of that particular model even more.

When you realize back at that time, IMHO most Cub Cadets where either 7 or 10 hp, mostly gear drives and many dealers and customers thought they were more than adequate. The 123 was the first hydro Cub Cadet and was introduced during the middle of the 1X2/3 series production run. The hydro drive was still a pretty new thing during the 4/5 series and there may have been some preceptions that it wasn't necessary or people wanted to wait and see how it held up before buying one. However, by the time the 1X6/7 series came out the Hydro's were pretty much the the perferred choice for transmissions and the 127 was one of the most popular models built.

Latest posts

Back