• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 04, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgreenly

displayname
Ron Greenly
295454.jpg

Thanks Lewis..For being 35 yrs old I didn't think it looked to bad. It has been garage kept since the day it was owned by the 1st owner. I am the 3rd.

Ron,

Nice 682.

Charlie,

I was agreeing with you, "Sawzall it out", as in.... "go ahead and cut it out with a sawzall"......I also use that method and it does work great. If you can't get the remainder of the pin out with a hammer, it's ready for the press, no mess, no fuss.

BTW, bearing lock collars make great new frame bushings as well......

Steve B.
Thanks..now I just gotta figure out what I wanna do with it. Spring assist..hitch..ag tires? So many choices...LOL

Brent L - what's the condition of your wiring harness overall? The 1x6/7 series is known for harness failure - I've had the stuff just turn to dust in my fingers touching it, as if there was no wire there at all. If your harness is doing that there's no telling what you might be shorting.

Ron G - ya know for the longest time I just didn't care for the red ones. Don't really know why except I was real partial to the Yellr n'White. But as I see more of the red ones, especially nice looking ones, they seem to have grown on me. Now I gotta say you got yourself a nice looking unit there.

Harry B..Thanks for the compliment!

Can anyone tell me what I should check to find out why the air filter is getting oil in it? I'm thinking maybe the filter in the valve cover is stopped up? The engine is the KT17 Series 1. The engine runs great, no miss or hesitations. No blue or black smoke out of the muffler. Any suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated!

Ron,

What a nice looking 682!

It looks as if all you need is an IH emblem in the front and you will be ready to go.
happy.gif

Brian Wittman

Brian..Thanks! I can't remember if the very 1st '82 series had the IH emblem. Knowing somewhat the history of this particular tractor, if it had 1 it would still be there, but you never know.

Ron, They all had the emblem between the headlights.
Unless your breather has been replaced it will have the old umbrella style. A reed style is used on the replacement breathers. May not help much with a worn engine.

Harry - thanks for the input. Yeah, the harness is definitely suspect and it looks like at one point a previous owner was in there, doing some "improvements". I guess I'll just have to break out the old meter and start some diagnosis.

I was hoping somebody may have seen a similar symptom at one point to at least point me at a particular area to start looking. But I know that electrical problems can be a bit of a crapshoot so I guess it comes down to old fashioned investigation.

On a positive note, I did get to use my digital borescope yesterday to look through the spark plug hole, under the head. It has a side view imager on it that allowed me to verify that the piston was at true TDC, and prove that the marks on the flywheel are correct (i.e. No sheared flywheel key).

Happy Easter, all!
Brent

Bill..Thanks for the input. I will check it out and maybe even do a compression check to see what i'm actually working with. Thanks again

Ron,
Nice looking 682. I agree that the paint looks great. I'd buff/wax it and call it good to go! Nice snag.

Brent L I agree with Hydro Harry that you have a shorted wiring harness. I nearly burned up my 147
when mine shorted. I have made my own harness and its a lot of work. Its easier to buy a new one that has all the correct terminals and wire sizes Figure the cost over the next 40 years and they are not that expensive.

Josh...Thanks

Cut a lil grass with it today to see how it would really do. Runs great, PTO needs adjusting, Hydro lever needs to be snugged up a little bit. The only thing I could really find concerning is it DOES burn oil. I don't know how much yet because I haven't run it long enough,plus it also has oil leaks. Still feel good about the purchase tho. As I get time to adjust, clean, and check over real good I'll figure out what to do with the engine,rebuild or replace or who knows. Thanks to all for the compliments! Pics and accomplishments in the future as they happen.

Nice Find, Ron. I think you're right, not all red tractors shipped with the IH symbol, although I thought it was part of the transition to CCC and ultimately MTD. I now believe that my 782 (made in 1983) originally shipped without an emblem, although I thought at first that the previous owner had "parted it out" or someone had "liberated" it.

Sawzall did the trick, all. Got the pin severed in two places, and like Charlie said, it was less than 6 minutes per cut (which included at least to pauses).

295464.jpg

295465.jpg

295466.jpg

295467.jpg

295468.jpg

295469.jpg

295470.jpg

Note: The HF drift pin didn't fare so well . . ..
smile.gif

Edit: Don, I think I could have rolled it out of the channel after cutting just the front of the pin off, but I was having so much fun with the Sawzall . . ..

Jeremiah....I did notice today that the screen where the emblem "should" be has the holes for it but there is no imprint or outline of where it may have been there. However it does have the grille with the black bars in it. The very 1st 82 Series grilles did not have them. When I worked at the dealership we got what was called a "Field Change Package" which consisted of a new grille and a screen for the bottom to keep the grass from blowing up around the engine. I must have changed at least 100 of them. Makes me wish I had kept a few of the original grilles.
BTW...Glad to see you got your axle out.

just a quick "looking for opinion" here. got a 109 with a 38 inch deck that needs some major patch work. saw this locally, $160, seller says it could use blast/paint but that's not an issue, also says all spindles are tight and extra blades. figure i'll offer 150. just want some opinions on it. will keep the 38 and patch and all spindles on it are good plus all removable pieces are good and already off for the welding work so i have spare parts if i buy this 42 inch.

295502.jpg

Latest posts

Back