• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 03, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed - on your pump question. I was going to mount a loader and run the pump off the PTO so that I could turn it on/off when I needed it.

thanks Ken ill go with the muffler how long should i wait before i use the straight pipe

If you mean the 4" pipe ... I'll let ya know in ten years ;) I wouldn't use less than 12". You got some neighbors you're mad at? Take that at 6am sucker! I'd break it in about an hour then do what ya like on the pipe deal.

Actually I'd do it like I do SB Chevy's. Fire it up and idle it no less than wide open (3000rpm for Chevy) for 30 minutes and call it broke in. I've never lost an engine yet an I use to build some mean SB's. I've only rebuilt 1 K301.

just to clarify my straight pipe is 4in around and about 3 foot tall not 4in long does that make a difference?

Kraig,
LOL, man a guy blows a gasket and will never live it down!
biggrin.gif

Or the ride back to the pits either!

It probably does to ... naw I aint goin there!

So you've got about a 1" hole feeding a 4" hole. Seems kinda like not having a pipe doesn't it.
Just use the muffler for the break in period, whatever that may be. I know Kohler recomends a length of time but I don't know what it is. After that put your stack on and stick your fingers in your ears! It would be better though with back pressure. ALL engines need some back pressure. Because it's loud doesn't mean it's fast or powerful. (I just wish the dirt bike guys around here relized that)

thanks for the advice ill use the muffler for the break in its not that loud sitting on the tractor it stick up just above your head
thanks again for the advice

DARREN - Ken & I don't agree on too many things but He's 100% correct about cold air being able to hit Your glowing hot exhaust valve when You shut Your freshly rebuilt Kohler off and warp it all to heck. I hope You have something supporting all that pipe besides the exhaust port of the block....There's not that much iron holding the port to the block anyhow...

Far as engine break-in I'd run the engine on non-detergent oil for an hour, put another change of non-detergent oil in and run for two hours...put detergent oil or synthetic or whatever and run for five hours and Your done! And pull the engine rather hard....don't lug the engine down but keep the RPM's up and make it work. That's what My Kohler service manual says. I personally don't believe in using non-detergent oil for anything besides sharpening My pocket knife but I have NDO in the K321 I hopefully can start this weekend or next.

Darren, I came out of my exhaust port (1" black pipe) with a street elbow, then a 12" piece out past the hood. Then, a 90*, an 18" piece, a muffler with a 90* at the top. Not to heavy, looks and sounds good.

Latest posts

Back