• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

After the fire...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mminnig

displayname
Matthew Minnig
I had posted about a month back as the excited new owner of a fair condition 682. Well that excitement quickly wore off as I was hit with a minor engine fire that while not a disaster sure set me back a little. I am happy to report that the tractor (now nicknamed Torch) is back in action.

Oh yeah, and I made an upgrade or two along the way...

93699.jpg

Matt,
What happened-how did it start? Is that a heavy duty plug wire? Did you add what looks like a larger(?) air cleaner? What upgrades?

I just bought a new GT2544 Friday, delivered Saturday, I am IMPRESSED. My brother likes JDs but I think he'd be impressed once he would see this machine. I really like my Cub, the shaft drive works well, I needed the power.

I hope Torch is okay, it looks okay...

KerryElizabethO.

Do you have a part numbers there? I was wanting to do the same. I need plug wires now.

Great job, Matt. notice any difference with that accel pack? Running your plugs a little wider?

For others who would like to do that, and visit junk yards regularlly, you can find that same setup on fuel injected vehicles. Look for ones (like isuzu rodeo) that uses paired coil packs that can be seperated. I know the rodeo can, and also only uses 2 wires. Most of those packs fire 2 cyl at the same time, just like these engines do.

Well the plug wires I actually found on Ebay. They were a from a universal 6cyl kit so I cut them to length. They are the spiro-wire from Taylor. The coil is a dual fire model from Accel for a Harley that I got from a bike shop. I am running the coil with a solid state trigger off of the same old points for now. It is a wasted spark setup for now, but that will change in the future. Oh yeah, and I threw in a set of the platinum plugs gapped considerably larger. Catches and idles amazingly smooth now. I can't wait to try it out cold starting this winter for the snowblower.

On a side note, I have the rest of that Taylor ignition wire set sitting in the workshop looking for a good home in anyone wants some upgraded wires.

Latest posts

Back