• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Won't Start Anymore (Model 102)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tthomas

displayname
Troy Thomas
Hey Folks,

I'm new to your beloved Cub Cadet community, but have been a Cub Cadet owner for a few years and I have loved Cub Cadets since I was a kid. My grandparents owned a farm and we had about 5 or 6 Cub Cadets. When my grandparents passed away I inherited one of their Cub Cadets, Model 102.

As far as I know when I first got it wasn't running cause it had sat for a few months. But once I had it, it sat for about another year. My father and I got it running and I used it for a few months to mow grass, the idle was messy but it ran great. After that it sat for about three years and would not run.

About a year ago my buddy and I started to work on it. We spent a whole day on it and could not get it to start. The next day we tried again. After a few hours it ran like a champ, we have no clue what we did to get it running. It worked good for a week, I wasn't using it but I'd occasionally start it up. I let it go for a few days and then nothing.

Since then we can't get it to work. We thought maybe the ignition coil was bad, but seems to work fine (although I will need to replace it as we stripped and broke a screw on top). We replaced the breaker points and condenser but that didn't help it to start.

I've been working on it recently and I can't get anything from it. Now it's acting funny. It will just turn and turn and turn but not fire up. It used to start to go before but now it won't even do that. It's also back firing a whenever I try to use the choke. It will either do it while trying to start or when I turn the key off and it stops, then comes the loud pop from the muffler.

I have had the air cleaner off while trying to work on the tractor, and I noticed while trying to start it will shoot fuel out of the carburetor, not a lot, just a few drops at a time. Also sometimes with the back firing smoke will come from the carburetor as well, white smoke.

I have tried everything I can think of as well as praying. If I don't get it running for this summer, I may just tear it completely down and rebuild it, that was my original plan to begin with but I was hoping to use it for grass mowing this summer since my other lawn tractor is on it's last legs.

Sorry if this message is really long. I know I'll have other questions in the future. But if anyone has information that might help me, please let me know. Also if you need more information to diagnose the problem, you may ask. I may have missed something. I hope to post some pictures of the tractor soon, she's a beauty, in really great shape except for not running.

P.S. As far as I know everything is all original by the way. Except for what changes I've made that I mentioned and the battery and air filter.

Troy T.-

Your 102 is a Garden Tractor, NOT a Lawn Tractor. You should put this in the main forum.

Latest posts

Back