• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

982 Re-powering......

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpatterson

displayname
Mike Patterson
So if you had to re-power a 982 that is in very good shape, what engine would you choose?

Bear in mind tractor will be used in the winter on snow duty, used with either a blower (2 stage) or a front mount blade. Other uses include single furrow plowing as well as hauling fire wood out of the bush. Tractor will be stored in a regular unheated but insulated garage with cement floor. Its cool in it during winter, but certainly keeps it (tractor) out of the cold wind and blowing snow.

Would you go diesel or gas? What HP range?

Reason for this, think the Onan may not be a good choice for winter work? Is the extra money spent on parts really worth it if they are known for blowing up?

wedgie.gif

Mike--The Onan is actually a really decent motor. My cousin is a huge fan of them. He has at least five in various Case GT's and has had great success. The one in his "White Knight" is an 18hp model that purrs like a kitten when idling but runs really strong while pulling. He just entered this summer in a GT tractor pull and took first place out pulling the next best tractor by over 50 feet in the 1200# stock class. They make really good power but I am amazed even thought the engine architecture is similar, they sound different then the Magnum or KT motors. My other cousin Russell has a WH 520H with an Onan that has nearly 1950 hours without a rebuild and it is still running strong.

However, if they need work or a rebuild, they are very expensive. Mike had a complete overhaul done on one of his Case motors and it cost him over $2500 complete!
yikes.gif
So, if your motor is suspect or you know it needs a rebuild, you may need to consider something else for cost reasons.

You know what would be sweet for a gas motor? The Kawasaki F620D liquid cooled twin that was put in the 2086 and then the 3205 and finally the 3208. Unfortunately, price would keep you away from that unless you could get a complete used, good running tractor cheap enough! LOL!

I, of course, have diesel running in my veins and would vote for a Kubota or Perkins diesel. My 1772 Diesel is an absolute pleasure to use. Low fuel consumption, smooth running, strong torque. Very befitting of the large Super frame. There was a complete 28hp 3 cylinder Perkins for sale locally for about $1500. That would be a beast in a Super!

These are just my observations, take them for what they are worth...
bouncy.gif

I would drop in a Mag 20 or 18. In fact I have a Mag 18 for sale right now... Easiest drop in period, and the magneto ignition fires up fast.

Josh, story is the first positive Onan story I've heard in a looong time. My experience is that they are very finicky and expensive. The replacement parts must be gold plated.

All that hunting and stuff your talking about is normal stuff.

I have found that the 18hp Mags fire up better than the 20hp Mag....the extra stroke ups the compression a bit and it shows in cold weather starting.

3 cylinder Kubota gas will start right up cold......

Onan's are strong runners ......when they are running, but a PITA when you have to work on them!!!!!

Josh is the first person I think I've ever heard say anything nice about an Onan.

Guy that posts frequently on another forum I visit was a service tech at a welding supply shop. He said they had a MOUNTAIN of blown Onan engines and parts behind the shop from the smaller gas powered welder-generators.

There's several other good modern engines that can be swapped. Generac makes a 33 HP that can fit with some work, Subaru-Robin is the 4th largest engine company in the WORLD, and they make a nice line of V-twin engines that would fit.

And something I just learned a couple weeks ago... the Wisconsin engines that used to be used on engine driven balers & combines back in the 1940's & 1950's are STILL AVAILABLE.... How does an air-cooled V-4 sound? I can't hardly believe the EPA would allow an engine with 1940's technology to still be sold today but I haven't researched it yet.

Then Kohler makes a nice selection of EFI V-twins. And you always have some Honda & Kawasaki's to choose from.

I had a Subaru-robin powered generator about a decade ago and I really liked that motor. It was smooth, quiet, and fuel efficient. They have several hp options that would make a good repower for sure.

That Wisconsin VH4D is another story! What a beast! 33 hp, over 300lbs, but makes 65 ft-lbs of torque at only 1600 rpm!
feint.gif

Mike,
I recently put a mag 20 in my brothers 982. It was very very easy to do. And Would do it again if the need should arise.

FWIW: They use Wisconsin engines in tobacco harvesters around here. A lot of money is made while they're running (by the owners) and a lot of money is made when they're down (by the folks that repair them) :_

Anyone have pictures of a Mag in a 982? Is there enough room for cooling? They still leave the side panels on right?

Mike P

I did read some where on here that it fits in great . Go man and do the change.

Back