• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

*82* series Hydro Oil Level

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proessler

displayname
Paul W.Roessler
Steven Bauer , Come over here for *82* series ???'s. Owner's manual states " Check transmission level with engine stopped. Then top it off to Hi mark on the Dipstick."

Paul, My 782D never seems to get to the full mark. I keep adding Hy-tran and it only goes to the add mark. Checked for leaks and I don't see any.

Melody , Got me? I'd say you need a new Dipstick!...$30+
err.gif
A 12/'87 Service Bulletin CC-148 pertaining to incorrect dipsticks states to use (#703-0921 old)...#903-0911P new dipstick which is 11.5" long not including plastic threaded cap. The full mark on the stick is .93" from bottom of the stick.
Shift.gif
Hytran evaporating ?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Paul, I tried filling today and the plastic tube underneath was leaking. In the spring I will pull the fender deck off and get to bottom of this.

Steven, Manual states , check Hytran level with engine Off. If U check hot, that should give U high mark or cold...
Shift.gif

Steven Bauer

I think that the expansion you would think would give you a high stick reading. so check cold or hot because temps of the fluid don`t mater much.Cast iron dissipates heat quick and there for the volume would not change enuf to worry about it. Seem `s Sunstran thought of a res amount and IH planned on seal loss and poor customer maintenance. They were built to last a time by design . There Denny can now explain better and longer lol.

I finally got the Hy-tran up to the full mark. A quart and a half later. Don T is right its a pain to fill. Had to add slowly.

Melody: I'm with you on that fact. I have a funnel and hose "extension" in a bag to top off the transmission with Hytran. I don't know how your 782 is configured, but I have to remove the "cover" between the frame rails in order to access the fill plug. I need to check it more often than I do, just lazy, I guess. But when I eventually split it, I'm going back in with a neoprene gasket ala Don Tanner.
smile.gif

Jeremiah,All I have to do is flip up the seat and its right there next to the fuel cap. I thought something was wrong. I kept adding fluid and it wasn't filling. I'm finding alot of things weren't taken care of.

so the Fill on a 782 is where?

I have the service manual and it shows the exploded view of the trani and it shows the drain Plug. Can't figure out the Fill plug(no dipstick) as it is not shown clearly. Is it by the two Forward and reverse valves? What is concidered full? Up to the threads of the Fill Plug?

Tony, the fill plug would be the plug in the rear cover plate. It's both the fill level and the fill hole. Yes, it's a pain to fill through that hole but that's the way it's done. A funnel with a flexible tube works well for this. Alternately you could remove the fender pan and remove the top plate on the rear differential, the plate is located just rear of the hydrostatic pump and is held on with 4 bolts, see drawing below, and pour it in there, but that's even more work.

263562.jpg

Ah, so in laymans terms, the Fill is on the back of the Diff just like most cars. That takes care of the entire Hydro and diff fluid.

I see it in the PIC, it will fill to almost all the way up the Ring Gear in the Diff.
I'll have to see what's in the way but I have a Suction Gun that will probably be fine for this
THANKS

Tony H.
So your trying to tell us that they told you that Hytran was the same thing as all the other oils out there?

BULLSxxT! I don't believe that they told you that for a minute!

He said that Hytran IS ansd ISO 46 fluid.

I'm sure they have their own mix of additives like all other ISO 46 reputable manufacturers but it is ISO 46.

Tony: Whatever they told you, I'll tell you that the Sunstrand Hydrostatic transmission in an IH Cub Cadet will shift better and the hydraulic lift will leak less (or stop leaking altogether) when "standard" hydraulic fluid is replaced with Hytran. My experience with a Model 149 filled by the previous owner convinced me. He had used "Hydraulic Fluid" and the tranny shifted sluggishly and the hydraulic lift leaked all over the mowing deck. I added 1 quart of Hytran each year for two years to compensate for the fluid that was leaking out of the system. I finally changed out all the fluid for Hytran and dropped in a new filter (I posted the filter change on the main forum). After going to full Hytran and new filter, the leaks stopped and the transmission responded with nice crisp shifts.

I sympathize a bit with the position taken by the transmission manufacturer, they supply units to an entire industry, so it's not in their interests to favor one manufacturer over another. I'm just saying that your tractor will like the Hytran better than "ordinary" hydraulic fluid in my honest opinion (and experience).

On the other hand, I know some owners who are perfectly happy with the standard stuff and feel that they are saving money.
dunno.gif

It's your tractor, you can do with it what you like, but I know I'll never substitute anything for the tractor manufacturer's specified Hytran.

Back