• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

782d & model 450 snowblower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlittle

displayname
Thomas J. Little
Could someone please provide a description and/or photo of the pulley arrangement for the above. I purchased a model 450 that was on a 2180 tractor; the blower has a 7" drive pulley and two 6" idler pulleys. My 782d has a 4.5" PTO pulley. Thanks; Tom

The pulley issue has been sorted out. Can someone provide a photo of each end of the lift rod attachments for a 450 blower to a 782D? Thanks.

Heres a pic of the parts. Hope This helps.

112207.jpg

Thanks Raymond. The lift rod pictured is too long and doesn't clear the side panel of my 782d. I had a 5/8" rod made up to a length of 31 1/4"; it has a 90* bend at each end, 2" long. This is the length I calculated that I needed by measuring the distance from the hole in the rockershaft lever (in it's forward position) to the hole in the pivot assy. arm (with the blower raised to it's highest position). The problem now is that the rod doesn't hold the blower unit up; it settles to the ground. The hydraulics had previously held my snowblade and also a 48" Haban snowblower. There's no evidence of a leak. Also, it takes a 'push' action to lift the blower; I'm not sure if that is correct.

I cut the stock tab off of the blower, and welded a new tab on pointing the right direction so that it would pull to lift when I mounted a 451 blower on my 1450.

Thomas,
The lift rod attaches underneath the tractor to a bracket that mounts to the 782's lift linkage:
112761.jpg

Here's what the bracket looks like:
112762.jpg

Thank you all. I used the adjustable rod that came with the blower (the one I thought was too long) and my local dealer had the old extension bracket (that Ross pointed out) in stock. Everything's great now. Except for the lopsided lift. Has anyone used a different lift arm on the left side to enhance it's lift? Or maybe a lift assist spring like the Haban 48" used? Thanks for responding.
Tom

They did make a spring assist for this blower, but the ones I've seen were between $150 and $250, which encouraged me to just live with the lopsided lift.
happy.gif

Ross or anyone else who may do this... Is there a benefit to mounting your front Ag tires in a different direction than I most people mount their rear Ag's? I was thinking about putting Ag tires on the front axle of my 1512 and was just wondering why these appear to be be on backwards in the picture below... SteveG

Stephen
Most agree on a non driven tire the one in the picture is correct. A driven tire (rears on our cubs) would be opposite. One here has his rear tires as in the pic for loader work where he wants more traction backing up with a full bucket. One mounted his rears backward for attention.
lol.gif
(Cheesehead) It's really your choice. Anyway you decide they will perform better in snow than stock multiribs.

I love the traction (and pattern) I get with the ags, but I hate them when I have the snow blower on... When I make a sharp right turn, the lugs wedge against the blower lift rod and I have to back up to free it up again. I'm afraid I'm going to bend something one of these times. (I have tri-ribs on the shelf in the garage, but haven't taken the time to have my spare set of rims sand blasted and painted so I can mount them.)

Broken Lift Rod: I just got my 450 snow blower mounted onto the Model 2084 Super Cub Cadet. Soon the lift rod (Part 1 in posted diagram) bent because the lift link (part 14 in posted diagram) went over center and jammed it. I straightened the rod and then soon it broke. Maybe I was forcing the lift upwards too much. What advice do folks have for keeping this from happening?

Roy, I know that Art Aytay had the same issue I think he found a solution to it but I forget what it was. Hopefully he'll see your post and answer. If he doesn't I'll give him a gentle nudge.
happy.gif

Kraig-
Thanks for the friendly nudge..
happy.gif

Roy-
Your diagnosis of the situation is exactly correct. The lift linkage of the snow-blower goes over center then jams. After that one of two things happen: Either the lift rod bends (and later breaks) or the lifting cam on the rockshaft of the tractor folds over on itself. I've had both situations happen to my tractors. Consider yourself lucky as the bent rockshaft is a PITA to fix!
rant.gif
In your situation, weld the lift rod back together and you're good to go.

A few years back I had a phone conversation about this with Scott from Madson's service. Scott said that this happens when you pull up to an edge that the snow-blower can drop off. When that happens, the blower's lift linkage goes over center and jams. He said he's heard of people welding small steel blocks on the linkage assembly to keep the blower from dropping too low in that situation.

In my opinion, this set up is an absolute joke. The blower works awesome, but the lift set up is doomed. My short term remedy is to be very cautious about where I am when I hit the "lift" lever, and even at that I usually glance out the cab window and just give the lever a "tap" to make sure it's headed in the correct direction before a full lift.

The more permanent fix to this situation in my opinion involves a small hydraulic cylinder, a pair of hydraulic hoses, and a couple of pioneer-style fittings. I just haven't had the time to do it yet.
happy.gif

Hope this helps....

Art - thanks for your reply.
(I'm new to this list, and am trying to quote the reply):
"The lift linkage of the snow-blower goes over center then jams."

I saw that the lift part on the blower (end of #14 in picture) was lined up with the lift rod in the most-lowered position. When I tried to lift the thing, the rod bent at the exposed threads. I straightened it, and adjusted its length so it would not get to the locked position but later it broke, I think at the other end of the travel, upon full lifting. I'll get another rod (or get it welded) and then watch the linkage very carefully.
-
I noticed reports of uneven lifting.. Mine does that. Right side is low. Maybe there's no cure for that, either. I have set the rub plates for max clearance because we have grass and gravel, not smooth pavement.
-
The thing did blow snow nicely (it's nice dry snow for now) and if I stay away from the most uneven ground (I got stuck for a while), I'll get good use out of the thing.
-
I do have wheel weights and chain installed (new).
-
Did I do the wrong thing by putting about one cup of TSC universal hydraulic fluid/transmission fluid into the hydro unit on the thing to top it up? Total hours seems to be about 500. I would rather wait till Spring to change the fluid. SOMEtimes it does not want to go in reverse. Seems that slower engine speed makes it go better in reverse.
Roy

Latest posts

Back