• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

54" snow-dozer blades

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostendorf

displayname
Keith Ostendorf
Are 54" blades rare? I finally found one from a very nice forum member. Wish I would have had more money in my pocket that day. I've been looking for 3 months and all I saw for sale had a tractor attached to it. I'll have some pics soon as I can find time to install everything. Just wanted to know why you don't see 54" as much as 42".

kinda rare, I too have been talked to a forum member about a 54" blade but no money in my pocket either. If you can get one get it.

I have a 54" blade on my 1512 Diesel and it does a nice job in the winter. One nice thing is that no matter how much I have the blade angled, I still clear a path for the entire tractor. The bad thing, is that if you are pushing heavy snow like the slush we get in Upstate NY, with the blade straight, it can get a little bogged down if you don't have the tractor to push it. I even have a few problems pushing it straight down a 100' foot driveway if the snow is slushy. I prefer to get the snow pushed straight out of my driveway and then pushed to the side of the road for the big plows to take care of, instead of pushing it to the side of my own driveway since my driveway isn't that wide. It also helps to have the hydraulics for angling the blade. You have to remember, you have nearly 30% more blade area you are moving snow with.

The reason the 54"er are more "rare" is because in the early years of Cub Cadet production the 12 X 6's and 23 X 8.50 - 12's were standard equipment. The 42 covered the path without a problem. When the newer versions with the 23 X 10.50- 12's on them IH neede to make a wider blade to cover the path. Later production = less made.

I'm one of the lucky ones that's got a 54" now and a set of 75 pound weights. Its too hot outside right now but I might get them on and take pics later tonight. Thank you Jerry you made my day, wish I could have bought a tractor. You have some nice ones.

Keith if you ever get rid of the 54" put me at the top of the list, Jerry does have some fine Yellow and White machines.

Jeff, I put a note on my pics and I'm still looking. All I need to do now is put on the chains. I'm gonna have to go inside and eat some ice cream to feel the chill though, its still 90 at 9:00pm

262635.jpg

262636.jpg

262637.jpg

262638.jpg

that thing is huge, talk about moving snow.

I do use my little 42" blade for other things like dirt, wood chips, gravel, or what ever gets in front of it and the 16 kohler horses.

I cant wait for some action photos this winter.

Ya know, I just gotta say something here!
WTH is this thread doing in the sandbox?

We just as well shut the main forum board down and do nothing but threads at the rate this is going.

Kinda like putting a QL in the Off Topic section because your selling other things besides the freakin tractor, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry Charley, I thought the main forum was for problem solving. I just installed a blade. No problems.

Keith-
Since Charlie doesn't like us talking about Cubs in the sandbox, I'll derail this thread in a different direction. LOL

What's the story behind the little red truck in the background of your pictures? Got any photos of it?

Just a 1991 Nissan D21 with a flatbed. I inherited it from my father in law. He bought it in 95 from a junk yard. They were going to crush it and it looked bran new then. Its still got only 146000 miles on it. Its been used pretty rough though hauling fire wood and building materials. Tough little truck. I drive it to town for shopping and to pick up cub parts now. Its got a 4cyl. and 5 speed manual. Gets great gas mileage. And I painted the wood IH red which matches the truck paint perfectly.

262648.jpg

Latest posts

Back