• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

3165--power steering issue

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstertz

displayname
joshua donald stertz
Guys, as mentioned in a recent thread, I helped my cousin locate a used 3165 CC with about 650 hours. It is a clean one owner machine. As luck would have it, the second time he used it the power steering became so tough he couldn't hardly steer it. I told him to check the fluid in the rear end and he said that was low. He picked up some Trans-hydraulic fluid and topped it off but says the problem still exists. IDEAS??? I want to help him get this thing going ASAP. I always hate recommending a machine only to find out that it gives the new owner, my friend, problems.

Does the hydro operate normally yet? If not he may have a failed charge pump, they cavitate due to air bubbles literally "exploding" in them when fluid is low, shattering the gerotor assm.

Thanks Jim for the response. He says that both the drive and the lift works like it should...

Thanks Jim for the response. He says that both the drive and the lift works like it should...

I wanted to update quick! It drives me crazy when someone has an issue and asks for help on here but then never posts the resolution! I got a tip that it might be the "CV" joint in the steering shaft. I took it apart and boy did that get cheapened from the joint that they used in the Cyclops series. The tip I received said that when the tractor wheel is only ever used in one position and that joint dries out and rusts, that it can really bind when moved to another tilt angle position. To test, if you change the tilt angle and it is easier in one position than it is in the others, that is likely the problem. That is exactly what Tim had going on! We took it apart, cleaned with steel wool, blew and wiped clean. Lubed it heavy with marine grease and re assembled! Voila--it steers like a new machine! I like simple fixes. Thank you Jim again for your input.

Josh, that is great news and good detective work. I didn't know they price-pointed the steering so badly. Thank you for the great tips!!

Yea--I shouldve taken a couple of pics of it, you wouldn't believe how "light duty" that joint was and how it was held in place vs the way that the Cyclops series was. As you know the Cyclops with power steering used the same CV joint as the driveshaft. If lubed properly, I don't think you could ever wear that joint out on the Cyclops tractors!

Latest posts

Back