• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

3 Terminal Voltage Regulator Adjustment

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Larry Wright:
From GSS1369 IHC service manual for the 71,102,122 and 123.....
(this should apply to all of the 3 terminal regulators used with the Delco S/G's).
You might have to squint a little, but I can read it on the screen and I'm older than KentucK....

71438.jpg

71439.jpg

71440.jpg

Kendell - Send me the full sized pics and I'll repost'em so that I CAN READ'em ...
old.gif

Kendell, will this apply to a 4 pole like the one on my 100?

Just tryin' to be a good citizen and stay under the limits....

Henri: I don't know - I didn't think any of 'em came with 4 terminal.. The only adjustment procedure I've seen is the one I posted - a lot of the other manuals I've got don't have that section..
KentucK: I'll rescan, let you resize..

Henri - Just 2 or 3 is all that's in my automotive book. I don't remember ever seeing a 4 contact regulator b4 ... even on old 6v stuff.

KentucK - the bits are winging their way down I-75...
Ford 12 volt regs had 4 terminals - if I remember right " F L A B" for Field, Load, Armature and Battery" (I'm the son-of-a-FORD-mechanic...)

Kendell - I'd never call you that ... <font size="-2">to your face</font>

It's a matter of pride in this family... (He was pouring babbitt bearings in Model A blocks when they were new (well, almost new). He had lead in his eyes from the molds blowing back when a "dried" block turned out to still have some moisture in the oil galleys after hot tanking... I still run into some old geezers from the town I grew up in who remember him as "the best damn mechanic in town".. He quit the trade when he was about 53, went back to tool and die work (he did that during WWII) and talked me out of being a mechanic ... glad I listened to him for once.

The one that's on my 100 was stuck when I got the tractor and I hunted hi&lo to no avail so I got Ken Updikes book and it had a DELCO part # in it and I went to NAPA and gave that # and they produced the exact same one, made in U.S.A even! 3 spots on one side,field,load,armature one spot on the other, generator. It would be great if I could adjust the old one as the new one was around $70, thats pricey! hey, I like Fords they are real easy to work on, course all the ones I ever had never broke down very often but when they did they BROKE.

Henri:

The OCC and the 70/100 Series used a 4 Terminal V/R. Subsequent models used a 3 Terminal V/R.

I'll dig around and see if I can come up with the proper adjustment procedure.

Roland:
I've got it - I'll send it to KentucK and let him post it in a larger size (it'll be a while)..
war.gif

Ken:

Geez.....is there a reason why you couldn't send it to me.....After all, KK is not the only one that knows how to or can resize Pictures. I've done it a thousand times ya know....!!

Roland:
Hmmm - I sent the ones to KentucK last night because I <u>thought</u> he was posting larger than 100K (current board limit). I just checked the properties on the resized that he posted and his were smaller than mine. I'm using a freebie called "JPEG Resizer" from Virtualzone.DE, which usually gets me where I need to go (my file of resized pics is pretty large, too). This was a little bit unusual, as I was trying to snag the three pages from a PDF, but the program I use for that (SNAGIT 7) was gonna capture the entire PDF or only the visible screen, depending on which profile I used. Soooo, I printed the three pages, scanned 'em back into a .jpg, and then started resizing. The result is what I posted, but Ken's version stretched the same pixels further... Didn't mean to overlook you (especially another Michigander -we're "rare" here, ya know)

Kendell - Lower your scanner resolution and scan in black / white document mode.

Many of the replacement regulators have 4 terminals. Locally I was told the three terminal type is pretty much discontinued. On my 126/147 you just use GEN,BAT & F terminals. As I recall the L is for "Light". The school I went to discouraged filing the points. Drawing a piece of clean white paper through the points as you hold them together,works pretty good sometimes. Always take your readings with the cover ON (has something to do with the magnetic field)and warmed up to operating temperature. Always make sure the regulator is properly grounded,it won't work if it isn't.

"L" is for load ... which is what a light is ... but so is a BIG STEREO or winch ;)

Kendell - You've got the "ammunition" and it's 72* outside with sunshine and I'm sitting here ... NOT !

Wayne:
My '54-55 F-100 shop manual sez that "L" is for load... (see "FLAB" post below)
It also sez that the load terminal is connected "to other circuits", which could very well be lights. I'll have to dig out one of my Motors manuals later and get the generic description - Ford sometimes had their own designations for things...

Latest posts

Back