• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbhall

displayname
Todd Hall
Does anyone know how to increase the RPMs on a 2086 super garden tractor? It has the Kawasaki engine in it. I tried looking for a manual, but all I found was the operators manual which doesn't tell how to increase the RPMs. Right now it is running at 3100 and it should run about 3400.

The typical cause is that the throttle cable slid in it's clamp on the engine. When that happens the cable no longer applies enough pull force against the governor spring.

You may want to loosen the clamp and pull on the cable's outer jacket to add tension.

Place the throttle lever on the dash to high speed, then pull the cable away from the engine until you see the governor spring start to stretch a small amount. Tighten the cable clamp and see what the speed is then, it should be near 3400-3600 rpms.

Jim: Would not cable stretch account for the same phenomenon? Although I believe you are correct, moving the cable's sheath in the clamp corrects the symptom caused by the cable's normal stretching. (I am reminded of adjustments I used to have to make to cable actuated car clutches I have owned.)
smile.gif

Cable stretching is more of an issue with multi-strand cables, used in clutch and shift applications for flexibility. The solid wire cables are much less prone to stretch, as you know, however they do initially some initially plus gain lost motion as the linkage wears.

Jeremiah,

No problem; glad you offered advice as well! I was not putting you down, simply stated the different characteristics. I appreciate the thought and assistance you provide to many questions each week. That is what makes this forum the ultimate CC resource. Besides, you can state things much better than me, I find it hard to convert thoughts into printed words.

My brother once owned a 2086 and it had the same issue. The cable clamps are nothing to "write home about" and do allow for slippage of the outer jacket. Since the cables fight against the governor spring they tend to be drawn towards the load which eventually results in loss of rpms. The Kohlers have a more robust clamp than the Kawi's as used in the 2086

My friend has a 2086 that he would like to put a snowthrower/blower on.
Can anyone tell me what models will work on this tractor?

and if they perform well for that?

Jeff, the 2086 would use a model 451 snow blower. BTW, Ryan Mull just posted one for sale in the classifieds.

Latest posts

Back