1985 Ford Ranger

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towens

displayname
Cory Owens
I have a 1985 Ford Ranger 4x4. I just recently inherited this truck. I immediatly put it on the road and it drove like a gem. But now after about two months and $3000 it has no brakes whatsoever. I have researched and cheked everything i find and it all looks good. What else could it be?
152789.jpg
This is just like mine except mine is blue.

Ohhh, No brakes could be a LOT of things on something that old. I'll assume it has power brakes, vacuum assist. Could be a leak in the vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the vacuum booster, kinda big round chamber mounted to the firewall next to the steering column under the hood.
You didn't mention the brakes squealing so I'll assume it has brake material left on the frt pads & rear shoes. If the truck sat for a while it could be that the brake pistons in the frt disc brakes "Stuck" in the piston bores of the front calipers. FORD played around with molded plastic pistons that actually swelled when in contact with brake fluid, not sure if Your truck would have them or not.

Most of the braking power comes from the frt brakes, but if You loose rear brakes stopping distance really grows. The self-adjusters on the rear brakes may be stuck and the rear shoes aren't contacting the drums.

Also could be a bad master cylinder under the hood leaking fluid when You press down on the brake pedal. Normally that throws a warning light on the dash but on a 24 yr old truck the light may not work. Normally the warning light is the "Emergency brake light".

Also, even if there's brake material left on the frt pads & rear shoes, if the brakes have been used really hard trying to stop a heavy trailer, loaded truck, etc. the linings could be glazed over really bad.

Also on a truck that old the rubber brake lines deteriorate, there's at least one at each front wheel, and at least one running from the frame to the rear axle. When pressing on the brakes the hoses could be swelling, reducing the force the pads & shoes press against the discs & drums with.

Also could be as simple as dust or brake fluid, maybe even some stray grease getting on the brake linings.

I hope You didn't spend $3000 throwing parts at the brake system trying to get them to work. That much $$$ should have replaced everything from the rubber pad on the brake pedal all the rest of the way through the entire system.

well i have already replaced the master cylinder, it has new shoes and pads, new lines from front to rear the only thing i haven't replaced is the brake booster so i am trying to find one now but its kinda hard without any money. It didn't cost me $3000 just for the brakes, I have also been doing some body work to the truck along the way. Just because it was used as a work truck and it had some massive dents. I also had to replace the bed it was unfixable where the tractor lost its brakes and my grandpa used the truck as a stopper.

Cory:
How much time was spent bleeding the master cylinder(first) and then the brake lines? With as much as you've replace, I'd really be suspecting air in the lines, master and slave cylinders, etc.... If the brake booster was bad, you'd still have brakes, just a really hard pedal....

kendell, i really don;t know how much time was spent bleeding the brakes my mechanic done it all

Corey...what Kendell is saying...bleed them some more! I had a company vehicle brakes fixed at a large Chrysler facility..went to drive out and could barely stop it. Next day I asked 2nd mechanic how many bubbles he got out...he said 'all of them!'. You can use a lot of fluid to purge an entire system, maybe someone didnt want to keep filling it up.

Cory (and this is me being serious) any mechanic that works on your brakes and lets you go when they aren't working shouldn't be allowed to touch a vehicle (that's potential manslaughter in my state).. I understand this might be a friend, might have been doing you a favor or might not even to have charged you for the work, but it's criminal to put a customer /friend back into a vehicle that could maim or kill.... (JMHO)
thumbsdown.gif

I wish I was in a position to help you......

well the brakes worked for about a month after i got it back

Take it back (well, don't take IT back - go talk to the mechanic)- a brake job should last more than a month....

Latest posts

Back