• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1939 Farmall F20

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcshane

displayname
Ryan McShane
Well, I finally took a break from all the Cub buying and got something bigger. I found this 1939 F20 on the Interweb today and just couldnt pass it up...does it look like junk? yup. Is the engine loose? yup. Its amazing what a few Benjamins will do to a guys mind...
237652.jpg

IT has the large 4 inch pistons, a hydraulic pump mounted on the PTO, Heisler manifold, foot brakes, belt pulley, not a bad little tractor. It should be up in running within hours of coming home next weekend.

You're going to like the '39 because you can "narrow up" the width of the rear axle a bit.

Jeremiah, yes I hope to one day restore it. It may not be that fancy, but itl look nice. this is the second 39 that we have. My dad got out of high school and took a college degree in engine mechanics. For a project, he pulled in his 39 F20 and repainted it and overhauled it. After that he started farming with it until he got the funds to buy a larger tractor. I remember as a kid driving his, and riding along with him to tractor pulls, going out to the field to plow, harrowing, etc. A 39 F-20 was my dad's first tractor he owned...so Im going to continue the tradition by making it my first tractor I completely own (I co-own an F-30, C, and a 154 Low Boy with my Gpa) Of course today my Grandpa and Dad were super excited I found it, plus they were thrilled about the price. There was also a 106 there with rear PTO that I picked up to...the Cub buying never rests.

Ryan...WOW.! Awesome. I'm so happy for ya. To know you will be continuing the tradition in the family and starting out with your own F-20 as your dad did, that is so heart warming and I'm sure your dad is very proud of you and can't wait to help you get it restored and working in the field. Hugs ..Angel

thank you Angel! Im sure Dad will be excited to see it come home...I hope to get it home this weekend because it might rain here. We wont be in the field...so a great time to go pick up old iron!

Ryan. Even Fancy likes it. Check around his palce and see what other treasures he has in the weeds. One never knows what is in some of those piles of stuff. He may even have a plow or disc or some other Cub or FARMALL items.... Browse while there. I may have to work or I'd go with you and help load.

And don't forget to ask about any paperwork. That can be valuable as well.

Marlin- I did a search around the place and he has mostly AC stuff that he wants to sell. I was lucky that this Farmall was something he advertised before he scrapped it. I did save the extra set of cast wheels and rims for it, bought them for a case of Bud Light. I let him know that if hes patient enough that some Allis collector will come down and buy his stuff...

Wayne-Doubtful he has paperwork, it sounds like his Dad bought this F-20 at an auction...and its had a few owners in its life. The fact that its a late 39 and its loose is good enough for me at this point.

I am very glad to see that did not go to scrap. Wish I would have had the space for it to restore it.

Two afternoons ago a young gentleman showed up with his Dad and Grandpa to pick up two 169s and show us Ryan's F20. Angel managed to get a couple of pictures. It was neat to meet some of Ryan's family and talk tractors. As soon as I got home Fancy kept wanting to go outside. He must've known Ryan was coming.
happy.gif

238044.jpg

238045.jpg

238046.jpg

238047.jpg

Angel didn't get a picture of the two extra 1939 rear rims that were included. Both 169s fit on the trailer rather nicely. AND tnat is a very nice 126 with rear pto on the back that is strapped alongside the F20. Ryan still has his 70 here yet and could there possibly be yet another Cub Cadet arriving in the next two to three weeks??? Stay tuned...

Thank you Marlin for loading those pictures. The F-20 made it home safe and sound.

Last Friday night I had some time to mess with it. I bet my Dad, Grandpa and I had it running in under an hour. The tractor sounds great. It needs a fan belt, but that shouldnt be too hard to come by. Changed the oil, it has good oil pressure. Now on the quest to find some good used 36 inch tires so we can start driving it.

243943.jpg

243944.jpg

Here's some updated pics of the 39 F-20 project. I found some cheap Firestone rears at an auction this summer and painted the rims. I bought new front tires and tubes as well and painted the rims. Tested the hydraulics and they also work well. Hopefully this winter I will pull it in the new shop (behind the tractor in the one pic) and start repainting it.

sweet find. probably not in as bad of shape as the pictures look. i seen one here a while back in way worse shape sittin in the weeds

Its pretty rough, but its going to look good when it gets done. It has a lot of moss and algae growth on the hood and tank making it look sketchy. It needs a good power washing, which will be done this fall right before it goes in the ship for restoration.

Ryan--That thing is gonna look great when you get it all together!! You've already made some great strides with it since pic numero uno!
greenthumb.gif

Ryan you may want a shop instead of a ship all the rocking may make for poor painting conditions
err.gif

Back