Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

1872 oil pressure sending unit SNAFU

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

asmith

displayname
Alex Smith
1872 had a major leak in front of engine on right side. Changed the seal and decided to change oil pressure sending unit. Didn't see the reducer under the unit and snapped the brass fitting off at the block. I can't budge the part left in the block with a retractor any suggestions.

jstich

displayname
Jerry Stich
1872 had a major leak in front of engine on right side. Changed the seal and decided to change oil pressure sending unit. Didn't see the reducer under the unit and snapped the brass fitting off at the block. I can't budge the part left in the block with a retractor any suggestions.
I've had good luck using left hand drill bits for this type of problem.

asmith

displayname
Alex Smith
Thanks Jerry, I've been debating that method. Requires removing a few more parts to be able to get at it.

asmith

displayname
Alex Smith
Used a left hand drill bit yesterday and it worked like a charm. The fitting backed out with threads intact.

1811Cub

This happened to me with my 1811. I ended up drilling the hole oversized to accept a 1/8"NPT tap. This made converting to a mechanical oil pressure gauge and retaining the factory warning lamp far easier.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
If you're drilling and tapping how do you keep from getting any shavings into the oil flow channels?

1811Cub

I coated the drill bit and the tap with grease. This prevented a majority from going into the engine. After I tapped the hole, I cranked the engine over for a few seconds, and the pressurized oil blew out what few shavings made it into the hole. I have several hours of use on it and no issues. The oil pressure is 60 psi cold, and 45-50 hot at WOT with SAE-30 oil.