• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 oil pressure sending unit SNAFU

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asmith

displayname
Alex Smith
1872 had a major leak in front of engine on right side. Changed the seal and decided to change oil pressure sending unit. Didn't see the reducer under the unit and snapped the brass fitting off at the block. I can't budge the part left in the block with a retractor any suggestions.

1872 had a major leak in front of engine on right side. Changed the seal and decided to change oil pressure sending unit. Didn't see the reducer under the unit and snapped the brass fitting off at the block. I can't budge the part left in the block with a retractor any suggestions.
I've had good luck using left hand drill bits for this type of problem.

Thanks Jerry, I've been debating that method. Requires removing a few more parts to be able to get at it.

Used a left hand drill bit yesterday and it worked like a charm. The fitting backed out with threads intact.

This happened to me with my 1811. I ended up drilling the hole oversized to accept a 1/8"NPT tap. This made converting to a mechanical oil pressure gauge and retaining the factory warning lamp far easier.

If you're drilling and tapping how do you keep from getting any shavings into the oil flow channels?

I coated the drill bit and the tap with grease. This prevented a majority from going into the engine. After I tapped the hole, I cranked the engine over for a few seconds, and the pressurized oil blew out what few shavings made it into the hole. I have several hours of use on it and no issues. The oil pressure is 60 psi cold, and 45-50 hot at WOT with SAE-30 oil.

Pic of the gauge.

Attachments

• oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 662
Back