• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1711 Front Axle

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rswartz

displayname
Randy Swartz
Since I bought my 1711 almost 2 years ago, I noticed that there was some play in the steering. I realize that I need to either rebuild or buy a rebuilt steering assembly, but I noticed something else. When I turn the steering wheel, the front axle moves back and forth somewhat. Does anyone know how much play, if any, the front axle is supposed to have? As always, I appreciate any input.

Randy, sounds like the channel for the axle is spread apart a little. If you remove the axle you can squeeze it back together with a nut and bolt. Click on THIS LINK then scroll down to my post from September 05, 2007 and you can see where I reposted some info from Richard C., that he had previously posted. It's a photo and some detail on this fix.

Thanks for that bit of information and also the link, Kraig. I didn't think I should have any play in that axle. Only problem is that I will probably have to wait until mowing season is over to tackle this one.

Randy: Your 1711 already has a bolt and nut holding the axle into the frame's crossmember..you probably just need to tighten it up some.

Richard's procedure is for Pre-82 series tractors that had a axle pivot pin. (Note> The picture he posted is of a Quietline series tractor)

This diagram is of the 1711's front axle from the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup site:
89235.jpg

Thanks for that schematic, Bill. I knew that I had that bolt holding the axle onto the frame and had thought about tightening it before, but I wanted to check and make sure that it wasn't supposed to have any play. I like Kraig's idea, but I do want to just try tightening it first. It that doesn't work, then when mowing season is over, I'll just remove the axle and use Kraig's idea.

Just tightened my 782 axle up a little and it seemed to work for me ok.

Bill, thanks for catching that. I looked at that Parts Lookup drawing to see if the 1711 had the two adjusting bolts, it didn't, but I never thought to look at the actual pivot to see if it used the old style pin or a bolt.
blush.gif

Randy: When I got my 1712 I tightened up the bolt...it took -almost- all of the front to back slop out of the axle.

Kraig: The Original used a bolt, then the NF, WF, and QLs used a pivot pin. The 82 series and up uses the bolt.
thumbsup.gif

Bill, yep, I know the Original used a bolt, the axle bolt for my Original is setting on my work bench right now. I didn't know that the later Cubs went back to the bolt. I'm more versed in the narrow frame <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cubs.
ihrotate.gif
happy.gif

Kraig, Bill & Adrian - Thanks for all of the input from you guys. I still have not gotten around to tightening the bolt, but will be soon.

Well, I got the bolt tightened down today. It took all the slop out of the front axle, but I found another problem. There has been a portion of rubber hose with 2 hose clamps on it near the bottom of the steering column since I bought the tractor. Today after I tightened the axle bolt, I turned the steering wheel and watched while the bottom portion of the steering column moved back and forth. I'm assuming that the housing must be broken. I guess I'll be looking for another steering column this winter.

Latest posts

Back