• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

147 Cub/ Kohler k321

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pballard

displayname
PETE BALLARD
Just aquired this tractor that has some engine problems and need to ask some advise, i need to get a rebuild kit - how is the quality of items sold on fleabay? against oem? anyone on this site sell good quality parts at resonable cost? i have read about these engines having a balance problem, can you remove the balance gears and install the balance kit? or have the machine shop balance the rotating mass? i want to do a quality job but i don't want to go crazy as i intend to use it like it was intended - yet good running dependable unit. any and all comments are welcome and appreciated - thanks
Pete

Pete Ballard: I shall opine. I bought a complete rebuild kit from the auction site for my K341 and so far (67 engine hours) have no complaints. Piston, Conn Rod, Rings, Gaskets, etc. for about $120. If you're mechanically inclined you can rebuild it yourself - you'll have to buy or download a manual (and remember to drive the camshaft pin out from the cam gear end). You'll need to measure the bore to tell you if you need a rebore. If you don't want to buy the tools, I'll bet they could be rented, possibly from CARQUEST who, by the way, can do a rebore for you. Balance gears can be done away with and if you're lucky Dave Kirk will install one of his balance plates for you if you don't have a local machinist. Crankshafts fit quite well into a large flat rate USPS box.
happy.gif

Pete B.
You ask,"anyone on this site sell good quality parts at reasonable cost?"
Have you ask Cub Classics,Houtz or Madson's?

I didn't think you had or you wouldn't have asked your question!

Charlie,I was asking the membership at large, i am sure you know if you were to ask any vender that question he would absolutely state that he has the best merchandise and pricing around.I also was wanting to know if there are any quality differences between the venders on site and possibly the _-bay guys. Sort of like not buying Chinese food at a Greek restaurant

Pete - I think you just mentioned the difference. The vendors/sponsors listed at the top of this Website Page are all quality awesome vendors. And then there's others... possibly _-bay etc.

You need to decide what's best for you - my personal opinion is BUY from the the people Charlie mentioned and/or the others listed at the top of this page. They help me look a this free website every day, help me learn something about the Cub Cadet I have, helped me turn my Cub Cadet into several Cub Cadets...

Ok here it comes.
So why ask questions that should be posted on the main forum board instead of a thread that is supposed to be for when people refurbish or restore their tractors?
Refurbish & Restorations ONLY!
If your restoring or just doing a refurbish, start your own thread so everyone can benefit from the procedures you went through.

SO THANKS TO ALL FOR THEIR REPLIES, CHARLIE, I SUPPOSE WHERE I THREAD IS POSTED MIGHT BE CORRECT IN SEVERAL PLACES DEPENDING ON THE POSTER'S POINT OF VIEW - I THOUGHT IF I POSTED THIS IN THE GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM SOMEONE MIGHT ASK - IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE REBUILDING OR REFERBING THIS THREAD NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO THE CORRECT DISCUSSION GROUP. AND HERE WE ARE ASKING WHY WE ARE HERE - I THOUGHT THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY DOING THE WORK NOW WOULD BE A GOOD SOURCE OF USEFUL INFORMATION. BY THE WAY I FULLY INTEND ON DOCUMENTING MY JOURNEY WITH MY CUB 147. THANKS TO ALL FOR THEIR VALUED INPUT

Charlie, sorry about that, i am not yelling, not sure how old you are but as time passes it is easier to read text when the caps are on, i get in trouble at work for doing the same. sometime i don't realize they are on until some one points it out- thanks}}

PETE, I hear you with little text. Kraig had a suggestion a while back that works very nicely, and on most sites.
Press and hold down the CONTROL (ctrl) button while rolling the scroll wheel wheel on your mouse! Works great
thumbsup.gif

Back