• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1440 Smokes on Starting

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgallagher

displayname
David Gallagher
My 1440 smokes a lot(white smoke) when I first start it. After that, it runs and performs pretty well. The motor has about 500 hours on it and was not maintained well before I got it. Any ideas on something simple. I don't think it is worth rebuilding as it has other problems too.

That condition on start up tells us that oil is puddling on top of the pistons after shutdown. The typical causes are oil leaking past the valve seals or a slight head gasket leak from the lifter cutout or the oil return passage in the gasket.

Two things cause that, first being an engine that has clogged cooling fins and overheating, while the second is that the previous user did not follow the shut down procedure and allowed the engine to backfire at shutdown. That can actually stretch the headbolts enough to cause the "clamping effect" of the head to the block to be reduced.

Neither condition may be present while running the engine due to expansion etc, but once shut off the small amount of oil getting into the cylinder(s)can make mucho smoke.

Look where the muffler is attached to the engine, the two exhaust ports and see if either side shows any oil signs. If so that is the offending cylinder, obviously. Also make sure that the oil level is never above the full mark.

If the smoke on start up is an issue you can tolerate, then continue as you have been, it is your call.

Latest posts

Back