• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1282 Oil leak in rear end

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twthompson

displayname
Tim Thompson
My 1282 has an oil leak in the rear end. It appears to be mostly at the rear plate (above the hitch bracket). That gasket appears to be easy enough to replace. I am also considering replacing the axle housing gaskets. It is hard for me to tell what I am getting into there. Is this easily done? Can someone please outline the process? Thanks

Tim,

You should definitely replace the gasket at the rear, and change the Hytran and filter too. As far as the axle housing gaskets, I'll have to beg off. I'm sure you would have to remove the axles, and I don't know what is involved, but it is more than I would want to do unless I had to.

Tim, depending on the S/N your 1282 could have either the old cast iron rear or the newer cast aluminum version. S/Ns of 719999 and below would have the cast iron case and S/Ns of 720000 and up should have the aluminum case. The gaskets and seals would be different for the two variations so make sure you get the correct parts. If you click on the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup button at the top of the page you can enter in the model 1282 and you will be able to access exploded parts drawings and part numbers. I find the exploded views to be very helpful before and during working on Cubs to see how stuff goes together. Keep in mind that occasionally there can be an error in the drawing so if something doesn't look right it might not be.
icon_eek.gif
Here is a link to a service manual for the 82 series Cubs:

82 SERIES SERVICE MANUAL

Kraig, thanks for helping Tim out. On my way to work I thought I might have been more helpful if I had directed him to a drawing and/or manual as you did.

Tim, Kraig's advice is right on. My local dealer would not supply my gasket without a serial number, and as Kraig points out, it makes a difference. Also, I realize upon reflection that I should not assume you have the same ambitions and skills as do I. While I don't want to mess with the rear end any more than I have to, you may have reasons and desires to tear into it. For instance if you're planning on doing some plowing in the Spring, add some wheel weights, blow some snow. So go ahead, bite off what you think you can chew. The view from inside a Cub Cadet rear end is awesome, the gears in there would challenge my truck's for toughness.

Thanks for the response. I do have the aluminum case. I replaced the rear gasket only. The others looked pretty good. Someone had been in there before and patched the gasket up with some type of sealer instead of replacing it.

Glad it worked out Tim.

You know, we ought to start a forum area devoted to Previous Owner Mods. In fact, we ought to have a competition to see who can come up with the most outrageous thing a previous owner did. The guy who welded up the axle pivot bolt would certainly get a nod from me.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back