• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1200 restoration

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkiper

displayname
bryan kiper
I am starting my first restoration project and its a 1200 cub with a 38 in deck. I have been using the tractor for 2 years now and seems to be sound. I purchased the tractor from Craigslist and the guy supposedly just overhauled the eng. Got it home and mowed with it for 10 min and the eng started knocking. I tore it down and found the rod bolts had backed off and ruined the rod. Cleaned the crank up and put a new rod in. I thought i had got burnt on the purchase but its still running and it still has a stil has a slight rattle but has not goten worse in the 2 years ive owned it. Today i installed a creeper drive. Surprisingly that was easy to install. Any pointers ot tips on restoring would be appreciated. I will try to post pics as soon as possible.

Bryan, hang in there. Its a beautiful Sunday in many places and people are out and about. Others will get back to you soon.
wave.gif

Bryan: The best advice I can give you is keep coming back and informing us on your progress. Pics are good and many of us will post them for you if you have a problem resizing.
1AA_dance2.gif

Bryan, Can you post a nice picture of that dealer sticker in the base of ops thread in the sand box...

that looks cool

And a nice unit for resto with the creeper drive

Bryan K. From the looks of the tractor I'd just dress it up a little bit with some touch up work. I don't remember ever seeing one that nice with the hood trim piece on it still. That is one very nice and original 1200. Great find.
greenthumb.gif

i just purchased this tractor yesterday. it was only 2 hours away and it had an intersting story behind it. the man i got it from got it from the local water treatment plant who purchased the tractor new. they used it to mow up until last year when it started to smoke. they used it for 43 years to mow the grounds before they decided to get rid of it. i started it this morning and tried it out. the tractor runs great and mows even better other than a little smoke its still a very usable tractor. it also has several new parts. will have to figure out why it smokes.

243178.jpg

does any one know where to get paint at in the correct colors

Nice find Bryan- It's always cool to know the back story behind these Cubs. It never ceases to amaze me how durable these tractors really are. 40 plus years of commercial use, lets see a modern GT do that!
greenthumb.gif

Bryan, Most CC dealers will have the paint. I saved a 126 from a junk yard and it smoked real bad. I ran a little MM oil in the gas and oil and it seemed to clean it up a little. Now it just smokes on start up. Probaly needs rings. Thats a project for another day.

the mm oil didnt work on thisone. mowed with it and it still used 2.5 quarts of oil. the eng has a larg amount of blowby too. think its tome for rings and a hone job

Bryan I have a 1200 I purchased new in 1979, I have it down now for a overhaul. It has always been a good unit.

Before I can start on my 1200 I have to get the 126 running well enough to use. Today I removed the eng and tore it down. I found that the oil ring had collapsed and the eng has been bored 0.010". The rod is ok but looks like it has some sort of foil on the rod cap mateing surfaces,have no clue what thats about. There is also no markings on the rod to indicate standard or under sized will have to mic. the journal. ready to hone and clean and order parts.

Back