• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Wheels and tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edale

displayname
Everett Dale
The guy at Les Schawb said that the tire size that are on my 982 (12X12X26) are a fairly common size used on ATVs and such. My question is could I use wheels for an ATV as well, or is the lug pattern different? For that matter, does anyone know what the pattern is so I can see if the tire guy can get me some?

also, do I need to run tires that wide. I'd like some thinner wheels and tires with really meaty tread to get through the mud and swamp grass on my property. The fat turf tires will just spin and sling mud all over me.

One more question. I've read a bit on adding weight to the tires, i.e. sodium chloride, or some sort of beet juice, and even RV antifreeze, but has anyone tried putting 50lbs of lead shot in each rear tire? I've seen similar done on off road 4X4 trucks to get extra weight for traction, it has the added benefit of being auto balancing on the road as well. Not that you'd need to drive a cub down the road all that often.

-everettdale

I'd just throw some of the correct size atv tires on your 982 rims. Several have done it and like the results. Unless you plan on plowing or something I wouldn't bother with adding weight since that 982 is nice and heavy anyway. You could always put some tractor lug tires on it too.

The thing is I'd like to keep the turf tires for mowing, and swapping wheels with mounted tires is easier then swapping just tires. And when winter comes I'm ganna need weight to plow and throw snow.

-everettdale

The easiest thing for you to do would be to find another set of used rear wheels from another SGT.

Yeah, but where? and did they come in thinner sizes?

-everettdale

Everett, I thought about doing the same thing, but, I found that unless you have unusually wet conditions, a set of Ag tires will work for you even when mowing. The standard tires on my tractor are 23 x 10.5 x 12. I use Ag tires on my 1512D and even leave my wheel weights on my tractor. The only time it leaves any kind of marks in my lawn is when my lawn is wet, even then, they disappear within a day or so. You probably can put "somewhat" narrower tires on those rims or get a set of narrower rims. As far as I know, the 5-bolt pattern for the Cub wheels should all be the same. I'll let the experts here correct me if I'm wrong.

You can put a want ad in the classifieds, for starters...

I don't know if you'd be able to find narrower wheels with an offset that'll work on a super. Cub Cadet didn't use them, but that's not saying someone else didn't. Practically every garden tractor made 20+ years ago used the same 4.5 on 5 bolt circle...

I mow with ags, wheel weights, and 144 lbs of beet juice in the rears and it doesn't cause any damaged to the lawn. I do mow in different directions every week north/south, east/west, and diagonal but I think we're supposed to do that regardless.

What are the diameter of "original Cub" gauge wheels on the two blade syncho belt mower?

Charles Z., repost your question on the main Forum page, since you have a Cub Origional. It will get you a quicker answer.
thumbsup.gif

Back