• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

ATV Tires vs AG Tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrock

displayname
Charles Frock
Ok guys I want your opinion concerning using AG tires or aggressive tread ATV tires on a Cub Cadet for plowing snow. I have a long blacktop driveway and have been using rubber cleated chains on my tractor to plow snow with. I have 75lb wheel weights on each wheel. I find that I do not have alot of traction with this setup and thought about going to an ATV tire without chains for plowing. Since the ATV tire is a softer compound and lower air pressure I thought that it would have more traction on the blacktop. Has anyone tried this and if so what type tread works well and what size tire do you suggest I use.

Charles, friend of mine had some polaris atv tires on his 782 last winter for plowing and I thought they did quite well. He also has 75 lb wheel weights, however, he also has them filled with calcium. I run 23x8.50x12 turfs with chains and 5 gal of washer fluid in each plus 70lbs of wheel weights. He could plow almost anywhere I could. I would keep in mind that in the snow wider isn't better, so at least for snow plowing id use front atv tires if you go that route. I'm sure more people will chime in with more knowledge than me.

I am going to be testing my 26x12x12 ag tires on the blacktop drive this winter. I just loaded them up with fluid today and have 50# weights on each side. I plan on trying to see how well it will push the blade since I'm using the 1450 on the newly acquired qa-42a this year I thought id use it as a backup. Time will tell, have some moldboarding to do this week

I can add that tru-powers and 75 lb wheel weights on my 1512 and pushing snow on a paved drive did not work well for me. I had a 42" blade with hydraulic angle and the tires would loose traction backing up from the pile I had made . My atv did not have a problem with the 54" blade and I think the reason is the ATV has a positive traction rear end, meaning Both tire must spin. I have thought that a air locker would help the tractor out and make it as good at snow removal as my atv. the Atv tires are Mud_lights (brand)and have a very wide aggressive thread. I have see Jeep TJ`s with air lockers and wonder how that would work on a Cub rear end .
old.gif

Don- did you have any fluid in the tru powers or just the wheel weights?

joseph j. smith

I had just the 75 lb weight on each wheel.

Joseph,

I plowed my driveway with my 122, with Ags and Lotsa weight. Both tires filled with fluid plus 50 pounds of steel weights on each wheel and probably 200 hanging off the the back.

The problem Donald mentioned is way to true, you just get stuck way too easily trying to back up. My son was plowing along with me on our Arctic Cat 400 ATV 4x4 with a plow and he could do circles around me.

The only thing that works well for plowing with our Cub Cadets is Chains. Put Chains on your rear tires and you can plow all day long!

But as you stated you have blacktop (me too!) so chains are not desired. This is why I plow with the ATV. Or the neighbor's Chev 2500HD Duramax with a 9' Boss V plow

I do have a blower on my 149, chains too, and I use it to plow/blow a path to the back yard for the dog to do her job. Of my ATV can also make quick work of this but I just need to use the Cub sometimes...just cause!

Weight & Chains......everything else is a waste of time and effort......

I know that on my paved driveway, with very little pitch, using my 1512 I tried using chains and wheel weights using my Ag tires and my 54" plow. Worked OK, but had a little bit of a problem backing up the driveway to take another swipe. Much better luck putting the tire chains using my turf tires and wheel weights. The tire chains were much tighter on the turf tires and had a lot more surface area hitting the pavement. No luck at all with just the Ag tires trying to push the show with the plow.

Weight (lots) and v-bar chains. If you keep the plow blade straight you cannot stop my 1512. Have used both turf and ag tires. Turf work better with chains but ag will go a little better in unplowed snow.

I have a 54" and have the power angle and would love to put the blade on the front of my 1512 Diesel, I don`t think I could stop it pushing if I could get good traction. The paved drive is great for the snow melting off soon after I push most of the snow off the drive. sub hits the drive and the snow melts and after some time the drive is dry with nice snow banks ,kind a kool lol. I will try ATV tires with some washer fluid and I`am still wanting rear breaks on each wheelor a locker for the dif.I have a need to run my cubs and hate to see them sit for to long . I have way to many to use and well all have our favorite tractor .

Just thought seeing my neibour walk by , he has a dirt drive and I could go over there with chaines .
Shift.gif
1AA_dance2.gif

I've used turfs and two link v-bars for the last three winters and have been very pleased with the results. I have the weight bracket on the back and run a pair of 96# weights. I'm pushing a 54" hydro turn blade and I love it!

245860.jpg

Granted, I have a gravel drive out here in the country but it is about 250' long! The only mistake that I made my first year was not pushing the snow back far enough at the beginning of the season. The v-bar chains provide enough bite to push even 18" of snow on the level!
greenthumb.gif

Back