Tiller model for 1872

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdodson

displayname
Ken Dodson
I am trying to find a rear tiller for my 1872 hydro but I can not figure out which model to look for. I have found a bunch of model 1A however I was told this model will not fit my 1872...any know what model will fit?

Myron, I think Ken will need one of the CAT-0 3 point models.

Ken, do you have the CAT-0 3 point hitch AND the 2000RPM PTO? If so then the following model tillers will work and there might also be other models.

56439.jpg

56440.jpg

56441.jpg

56442.jpg

much thanks guys!! I do have a rear pto (stock) is this sufficent? Any idea what the rpm is? Also I do not have the 3 point hitch, is the category "O" 3 point specific to cubs?

Ken, no, the #2 tiller is a completely different tiller. CAT-0 is an industry standard rear 3 point hitch. Are you sure you have a rear PTO? If you do perhaps you are just missing some of the CAT-0 3 point parts, like the lift arms.

56470.jpg

Here are two photos of a 2072 (same chassis as the 1872) that has a rear PTO and a CAT-0 3 point but has the lift arms removed.

56471.jpg

56472.jpg

Hi Kraig...,I thunk I taught you better. Throwing rocks at ole Myron about them 2 & 2B tillers....Tsk, Tsk...
bouncy.gif
However, In your spare time, you just might find some interesting reading in CPE-2, Section J, Page 16...(upper left corner)....

Myron B

Myron, I'll have to have a look at my copy of the CPE-2 tonight. I really need to scan that so I have it available online.....
rtfm.gif

For those not having a CPE-2, the following are the mounts for 2 & 2b Tillers. Also, if you look in the belt/blade manual you will find the belt needed for the Cat "O" mount listed there as well...

Myron B
56488.jpg

Myron, I recall that the #2 tiller could be used on a 782 with a CAT-0 hitch with that adapter kit but that still uses the front PTO with a looooong belt and a 90° gearbox. The 1872 being a SGT would need an extra long belt due to the longer wheelbase.

suspenders !

Why can't the rear PTO drive the tiller gearbox ... ?

Kraig: What 782 with a Cat O?? The IH 982 (the original SGT) had a Cat O option. That's what that WM-64852 163 inch belt is for...982's with a Cat O and by extension could be used on any SGT.

Myron B

where would I go to find the parts that I would need? Ive been looking online however I am unable to find anything.

Kraig- Thanks for the pics...turns out I dont have a rear pto. I guess its just the hookup for a rear pto below the seat...? What should I expect to pay for a rear pto and 3 point for my 1872?

Ken - I've seen lifts for 982's go between $???-$???. Do you really want me to put the price here incase someone has one to sell and they see what they have been sold for in the past ?

Ken D, I would say that a CAT-0 hitch and rear PTO are going to run you about what KENtucky wrote. If you keep your eyes open you should be able to find the above stuff but it could take quite awhile. We don't like to post prices much because we don't want to set prices. I will say that the CAT-0 hitch and rear PTO for the SGT (Super Garden Tractos, 982, 1872, 2072 and others) don't come up for sale very often so if you WANT one and you FIND one for sale, it's best to buy it then and be happy you found it.

Myron, ah! The 782 had an optional CAT-0 hitch but not the CAT-0 spec. 2000 RPM rear PTO, only the SGTs had that as an option.

Kraig...I'm still looking for that 782 with a cat "O". This 1980 brochure says IH didn't know about it...

Art: The 163 belt is to accomodate the longer SGT frame. I've never seen one either but its's there in CPE-2 and the Belt/Blade manual.

Myron B
56549.jpg

Latest posts

Back