• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Starting to feel guilty. Engine swap

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
Today I'm going to start up Tug (my 782) drive it behind my barn, disconnect the Snow plow, drive it back up here just to shut off the KT17 for the last time.
I have an opposed twin that doesn't smoke, doesn't leak. It has no Points or Condenser. It starts like a dream in below freezing Temps, yet I'm almost getting emotional about saying 'goodbye' to the original engine.
My guess is that Valve Guides is why it smokes on startup and the leak has got to be a seal as I think I pinched the Breather. Bottom line is KT17 is fixable and currently runs fine, but it just makes sense to let it go for this newer engine. I still feel like I'm betraying Tug.

This is the engine im taking out.
I haven't started in a month. Ice cold start with throttle at idle. Hence the sound of struggle on startup.
Cut the camera to let it warm a bit before showing full throttle and back down. Just realized I wanted it to warm up before cranking it....on an engine I'm retiring.

Attachments

• 1000001409.mp4
    7 MB
  • 1000001412.mp4
    6.4 MB
Today I'm going to start up Tug (my 782) drive it behind my barn, disconnect the Snow plow, drive it back up here just to shut off the KT17 for the last time.
I have an opposed twin that doesn't smoke, doesn't leak. It has no Points or Condenser. It starts like a dream in below freezing Temps, yet I'm almost getting emotional about saying 'goodbye' to the original engine.
My guess is that Valve Guides is why it smokes on startup and the leak has got to be a seal as I think I pinched the Breather. Bottom line is KT17 is fixable and currently runs fine, but it just makes sense to let it go for this newer engine. I still feel like I'm betraying Tug.
hang in there. some constructive encouragement is good for ‘em, and those opposed-twins can be so buttery smooth that Tug will be tail-wagging.

Latest posts

Back